Bert joins the 700 club

Post match discussion - talk about your recent victories and losses here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Bert joins the 700 club

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:48 pm

Recording here. Not a very interesting game, but a personal highscore for me. If you read my previous 2v3 debrief, this is mostly the same.

Server: MOR's Default. Nobody selected a territory, only when six players had assembled, they one after one picked one, unreadying everyone again and again, which was annoying. So I just activated random territories per admin power :)

I don't know any of the other players: tired gets Asia, Nicalix gets Africa, Edward North America, General Disaster Europe and NZ ARMY gets Russia. I get South America, one of my favorites :) I ally with NA and reserve eight subs for an early backstab (*), two in the Atlantic, six in the Pacific, both groups guarded by two battleships each. The other alliances are Europe plus Russia and Africa plus Asia. My silos get grouped together close to the North Atlantic for an early strike at Europe and Russia, Airbases are distributed north to south for some rudimentary defense against bombers when my navy is on world tour. The rest of my navy goes to the South Atlantic to go against Africa, battleships in groups of two between carriers in groups of four. Two subs head for a spot where they can hit Tokyo, two more go around Africa for the yummy east coast. Initial setup (as usual, taken from a playback, the mysterious second Bert is not a ghost):
Have a look at Africa's navy, you won't see it in any other screenshot :) Nine of his battleships were just within my radar range, all I had to do was launch my bombers. I lost two of my carriers, though, and let the three subs in active mode live; I didn't want to risk more carriers, had better things to hit with my nukes and figured I'd lose my cities sooner or later anyway, and they may as well go to Africa.

As planned, as soon as defcon 1 hits, I launch my silos at Europe. Two salvos against London, two against Moscow (one can dream...), two against Leningrad, the rest spread over the smaller cities. In chat, General Disaster (Europe) sounded reasonably competent, so I was afraid he may take NY and also launched my backstabbing subs. Two salvos against infrastructure, the rest against cities. I also sent some of the bombers who were finished with Africa's navy via NY, and the rest of the bombers drops their load on Africa's west coast. Edward notices my backstab before the nukes hit their first target and leaves the alliance, what a pitty :( Europe tries to disrupt the launch with subs (fodder for my bombers) and bombers (I see them early and nuke one, the rest come too late), but largely fails; an empty silo gets hit once, IIRC.
Anyway, I grab NY, LA and San Fran, London, Paris and Leningrad and some smaller stuff. Kinshasa, too, of course None of my nukes hits Moscow, which was sad because contrary to my expectations it was only hit by a single nuke from below. Turns out most of the subs firing at Russia from the Indian were in six ship fleets :/

I sent my carriers around Africa to continue to fry it gently from all sides. Nicalix had no radar in South Africa or on Madagascar, which made this a lot easier :) Unknown to me, Russia and Asia's fleet had pretty much eliminated each other, and Edward had taken care of most of the rest of Russia's fleet before I backstabbed, and he was now sending his ships southwards to attack me instead of sticking around to hit Asia. He left three subs, but when Asia opened its silos, my two subs were faster to launch (I took the risk and surfaced them when only two of the silos had launched, and got lucky.), I grab Tokyo, Seoul and Hong Kong. My two other subs that were left, originally intended for Africa for which I had now my carriers, launched at India. Africa took down some of the MRBMs, I didn't have time to position the subs better.
Meanwhile, of course, my home country is under attack from all sides and gets slowly worn down: Africa's subs turn up, bombers make their runs from NA, and of course Europe also sends forces. I do what I can with bombers, battleships I left behind, subs in active mode and fighters, and the points get spread nicely among the attackers.

My carriers move further along Asia without resistance and hit some more coastal cities:
Then they move back home, having sailed around the world. The now nuke-less bombers manage to kill some remaining carriers of Edward doing nasty things to my west coast.

Anyway, final screenshot:

(*) If my debriefs give the impression that I always backstab: that's not true :) It's just that the games where I do are more debrief-worthy.
Kros
level1
level1

Postby Kros » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:29 am

Impressive. Congratulations. :)
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:25 am

Howd you kill so many people? Was this a Bigworld game?

-$tanley
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:33 am

All American Mobster wrote:Howd you kill so many people? Was this a Bigworld game?

-$tanley

It was on the MOR's Default server, so all territories had 200 pop. ;)
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:39 am

A custom game, or a mod?

-$tanley
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:21 am

Nice work Bert :D

All American Mobster wrote:A custom game, or a mod?

-$tanley

Default mode with 200 pop
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:48 am

Welcome to paradise, population: us. :wink:
NZ ARMY
level2
level2

Postby NZ ARMY » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:21 am

I have to admit to being a part of this game.

Yes, I finished 6th.

There are just some things that the tutorial doesn't prepare you for.

:oops:
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:49 pm

There are just some things that the tutorial doesn't prepare you for.

What doesnt? Take math, for example. They give you a lesson on one thing, and they give you a problem you didnt even see coming. Thats part of the game. I learned like that, and i'm still learing. :D

-$tanley
Nightwatch
level5
level5

Postby Nightwatch » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:26 pm

I´m joning too.
Unfortunately i didn´t take any pictures. But you may watch it here: http://dedcon.homelinux.net/serverlogs/ ... .html#1830
I was close to opening a 800 club, but SA managed to take Moscow at the last seconds of the game after i wiped out Europe.
Nothing much to say further. Playing against some real noobs it was realy easy to score high.
I took most of asia, nuked some big cities at the American West Coast, catched Chicago, New York and Washington DC with silos and wiped Europe of the map. Of course i got cairo and Sao Paulo too.
In the end I had 771 points.

Return to “The Debriefing Room”