Page 1 of 1

Diplomacy... Yeah, Right!

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:04 am
by Sigma198
Hi all,
So I just got out of a 'Diplomacy' game which has completely and utterly ****ed me off. I'll explain why. It's all down to one player, who will be referred to as 'Dave'.

So we spawn in, I am NA, Dave is SA. I message him to see if he is interested in an alliance. No answer. So I think, fine, maybe he's AFK, maybe he plans to attack me, so I draw my territory lines on the whiteboard and post in the chat box 'everyone happy?' Nobody has a problem with it. Dave doesn't respond. My line looks a little like this (we're focussing on the pacific) From the Mexican border it dips down to about the same latitude as Mexico City, all the while heading away, the curves back up in a pretty much straight line to the strait between RU and NA. Pretty standard. Everybody else does the same, except for Dave. I spawn my units in, and then notice that Dave has placed a few battleships in my waters. I say to him 'Hi, your ships are in my waters, would you mind moving them back?'. He replies that they 'aren't my waters' and that I am being 'undiplomatic' and 'cartographically aggressive'. I ask him if he wants me to move my borders back, but he doesn't reply. I ask again if he will move his units back. By this time, it's about 2 minutes to DEFCON 3. He still doesn't reply. So, I send a few battleships and carriers down there as a deterrent, and also to protect my subs, which were in the area (and this is premium diplo, so he can see them and I can't turn off radar sharing). DEFCON 3 comes, and BANG. he sends out all of his aircraft and his subs against my ships and destroys my subs. At this point, I'm flabbergasted. I ask him why, and his reply? He said that I was being aggressive and entering HIS waters! He hadn't even shown where his were, and all my ships were in my MARKED territory anyway! I'm more than ready to rage quit now, but I keep playing. I have an alliance with Russia, so I fall back and Russia moves in to assist. What does he do? Dave, the maturest, most competent diplo player on Earth ignores the Russian ships, and goes after Asia! I'm speechless with rage and disbelief now. His reasoning? 'Asia had too many ships in the pacific' and, you guessed it, was being 'cartographically aggressive'. DEFCON 1 ticks over, and he launches every SINGLE nuke he has at me. Nobody else, just me. Before I get the chance to even launch one back all my silos, radar and airbases are destroyed, and I have about 2 points left. He then quits the game.

Now, if this was a one off, I'd just put it down to him having a bad day and wanting to vent his anger at someone. But it wasn't a one off. He's done it to me 4 times over the past week, and I'm sick of it! If you're going to play diplomacy, PLAY DIPLOMACY. Dave knows who he is, and if I get into a match with him again rest assured he'll get a taste of his own medicine, see how he likes it.

Re: Diplomacy... Yeah, Right!

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:07 am
by Laika
Image

Re: Diplomacy... Yeah, Right!

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:25 am
by Siсiliаn Ноundd
LOL

Re: Diplomacy... Yeah, Right!

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:27 am
by Sigma198
Like I said, normally it wouldn't annoy me at all, but it's gone past the point of innocence now, It's like Dave has a score to settle with me. Maybe I ran over his cat or something, I dunno,

Re: Diplomacy... Yeah, Right!

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:22 am
by kudayta
It's Diplo. The Dane Cook version of Defcon. Play real Defcon instead.

Re: Diplomacy... Yeah, Right!

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:56 am
by General Ivan
Just avoid diplo if you ask me...but if you still want to play it then allow me to give a word of advice...

...don't take diplo seriously at all. Because Dave probably knows you will react like so if you are going to take a game so seriously. And as Kudayta said:

kudayta wrote:It's Diplo. The Dane Cook version of Defcon. Play real Defcon instead.


Agreed.

Re: Diplomacy... Yeah, Right!

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:05 am
by Siсiliаn Ноundd
Yall haters Diplo is fun and enjoyable. But definitely not to be taken serious.

Re: Diplomacy... Yeah, Right!

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:02 pm
by Endless
Sigma198 wrote:Hi all,
So I just got out of a 'Diplomacy' game which has completely and utterly ****ed me off. I'll explain why. It's all down to one player, who will be referred to as 'Dave'.

So we spawn in, I am NA, Dave is SA. I message him to see if he is interested in an alliance. No answer. So I think, fine, maybe he's AFK, maybe he plans to attack me, so I draw my territory lines on the whiteboard and post in the chat box 'everyone happy?' Nobody has a problem with it. Dave doesn't respond. My line looks a little like this (we're focussing on the pacific) From the Mexican border it dips down to about the same latitude as Mexico City, all the while heading away, the curves back up in a pretty much straight line to the strait between RU and NA. Pretty standard. Everybody else does the same, except for Dave. I spawn my units in, and then notice that Dave has placed a few battleships in my waters. I say to him 'Hi, your ships are in my waters, would you mind moving them back?'. He replies that they 'aren't my waters' and that I am being 'undiplomatic' and 'cartographically aggressive'. I ask him if he wants me to move my borders back, but he doesn't reply. I ask again if he will move his units back. By this time, it's about 2 minutes to DEFCON 3. He still doesn't reply. So, I send a few battleships and carriers down there as a deterrent, and also to protect my subs, which were in the area (and this is premium diplo, so he can see them and I can't turn off radar sharing). DEFCON 3 comes, and BANG. he sends out all of his aircraft and his subs against my ships and destroys my subs. At this point, I'm flabbergasted. I ask him why, and his reply? He said that I was being aggressive and entering HIS waters! He hadn't even shown where his were, and all my ships were in my MARKED territory anyway! I'm more than ready to rage quit now, but I keep playing. I have an alliance with Russia, so I fall back and Russia moves in to assist. What does he do? Dave, the maturest, most competent diplo player on Earth ignores the Russian ships, and goes after Asia! I'm speechless with rage and disbelief now. His reasoning? 'Asia had too many ships in the pacific' and, you guessed it, was being 'cartographically aggressive'. DEFCON 1 ticks over, and he launches every SINGLE nuke he has at me. Nobody else, just me. Before I get the chance to even launch one back all my silos, radar and airbases are destroyed, and I have about 2 points left. He then quits the game.

Now, if this was a one off, I'd just put it down to him having a bad day and wanting to vent his anger at someone. But it wasn't a one off. He's done it to me 4 times over the past week, and I'm sick of it! If you're going to play diplomacy, PLAY DIPLOMACY. Dave knows who he is, and if I get into a match with him again rest assured he'll get a taste of his own medicine, see how he likes it.


I was told I needed to read this story. I'm happy I did. I would have done the exact same thing in Dave's part. I just hope he destroyed your fleet before defcon 1.

It's a radical style of diplo, but its fun. I hope I catch you on the rebound homie.

Yea, I went gangster.

Re: Diplomacy... Yeah, Right!

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:10 pm
by F.A.H.E.S.
Hi there,

I love to play Premium Diplo very much. I think it's a great game mode but also a completely different thing than default games (ffa or teams).

I agree with You that Dave's bahvior was an anoying behavior and to quit is always poor. But dude... it's Diplo :)

You have always to expect non-diplomatic, unsmart kimjongunish kamikaze-players in Diplo games. Wining a Diplo game is sometimes pure luck.

On the other hand You weren't diplomatic as well. In my opinion Your were agrssive too. That doesen't mean You acted wrong. But always mind the psychological component of Diplo. I wont suggest, that Dave had acted in a different way, if You had acted differently. May be he's pure noob and just wanted to see, what happens. But You have to expect things like this in Diplo.

I agree with others here, that You better don't take Diplo games too serious and also don't take chat in Diplo too serious. Always be aware from backstabing and kamikaze.

But I also have to say, that I never understood it, when players marking fantasy borders on whiteboard; especcially in international waters. Don't expect, that anybody will accept them. Click on territory and take a look at the player's terretories :) There You can also see, that some naval territories are overlaped. Drawing borders on whiteboard is "cartographicly aggressive" it's self... in my opinion.

I hope, You will go on, playing Premium Diplo. You're always welcome to be backstabed by me :)


PS: Join "Mutually Assured Destruction" to connect with other non-quiting unkamikaze Diplo players.

PPS: I hope my english can be understood :)

Re: Diplomacy... Yeah, Right!

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:34 pm
by trickser
Cartographically aggressive is pretty funny. I find it annoying often when the players draw borders on the whiteboard and start arguing and reasoning along rules they just made up. Like there aren't real, effective game mechanics you can base your decisions on. Feels like an insult to my mind.

But ya, that stalking like situation you described sounds bad, hope it will resolve.

Re: Diplomacy... Yeah, Right!

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:26 pm
by roflamingo
Consider this:

The tutorial depicts Defcon as a simple game, but the human factor makes it much more unpredictable.
As a beginner, you will lose games to people who behave in ways you did not expect.
Diplomatic Negotiations are optional
Drawing on the whiteboard is optional.
Strangers might not play the game the way you want or expect.
Units need to be destroyed and nukes launched for the game to end.

Sorry that things did not work out the way you wanted.

Re: Diplomacy... Yeah, Right!

Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:10 pm
by tllotpfkamvpe
Reading this brought back some sweet memories :mrgreen:

Re: Diplomacy... Yeah, Right!

Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:01 am
by Merkage
roflamingo wrote:Consider this:

The tutorial depicts Defcon as a simple game, but the human factor makes it much more unpredictable.
As a beginner, you will lose games to people who behave in ways you did not expect.
Diplomatic Negotiations are optional
Drawing on the whiteboard is optional.
Strangers might not play the game the way you want or expect.
Units need to be destroyed and nukes launched for the game to end.

Sorry that things did not work out the way you wanted.


lad

Re: Diplomacy... Yeah, Right!

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:04 am
by FunkyMonkeyBaby
Nice story about DEFCON. I was like him before. And now? I am changed and to don't take the diplomacy shits seriously.