Nuke School: Pop Quiz

Post match discussion - talk about your recent victories and losses here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

cza
level4
level4

Nuke School: Pop Quiz

Postby cza » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:28 am

Based on this setup, who will win this game?
http://quackington.wikispaces.com/file/view/3v3.byron.showcase.setup.jpg/473582918/3v3.byron.showcase.setup.jpg

Asia: Ghost Division
Russia: CZA
S. America: Byron

EU: General Ivan
Africa: Mr. Cow
N. America: Nuclear Cocaine

http://sfcon.demoszenen.de/dcrec/2013-11/SFCON-League-2013-11-30_19.54.zip

Extra Hint: Ghost Division did not place six subs.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Re: Nuke School: Pop Quiz

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:04 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:43 am

I would say every Red city is exposed, apart from West Africa, while the Turqs have East Asia extremely well protected - leaving Reds the task of having to conquer the Pacific, or pull off an extra special combined silo launch (unless one team cocked it up in spectacular fashion, which could turn the result either way :lol: ).
cza
level4
level4

Postby cza » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:08 pm

Thanks for the serious replies. I think more than tactics, new players need help with positional thinking. You two have pointed out the two main issues. Interestingly, after watching the recording, Byron and I realized the Mexico silos would have survived had they stayed closed for NC's first strike because he did his attack on the cheap. Of course, hard to see that in game, when you assume exposure will yield instant death.

Then there are the intangibles. In this case, you also have to calculate which team has more heroes.
Final: Turquoise won, 412–355.
Noryb
level2
level2

Postby Noryb » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:04 am

Yeah I should have stayed closed. Still it was funny and we got away with it, so whatever.

Made it an unnecessarily close game though. If NC had hustled down and turned the tide in the Indian, or if there had been serious anti-sub defense in the Atlantic, there's a pretty good chance it would have been a (close) loss.

Still, good territory setup. More interesting than the north-south games most 3v3s wind up being.

Blackbeard wrote:I would say every Red city is exposed, apart from West Africa, while the Turqs have East Asia extremely well protected - leaving Reds the task of having to conquer the Pacific, or pull off an extra special combined silo launch (unless one team cocked it up in spectacular fashion, which could turn the result either way :lol: ).

I think it's more an issue of conquering the Indian than the Pacific. If Red get that then they have free rein on Russia and Asia. With the exception of Manchuria/Japan, which can be (and was) taken by NA silos. In that game Deadcows (Africa) went fully South Atlantic, expecting me to do the same in order to guard my logical silo position. Even though he could have utilized the time better, this gave Ghost Division a chance to take the undefended African cities on the cheap as well as get setup for a strong defense. By the time Deadcows made his big push, my Pacific fleet was down there. Even though he fought hard and killed a lot of fleet we just outnumbered him too greatly.
Ghost Division
level2
level2

Postby Ghost Division » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:52 am

"Extra Hint: Ghost Division did not place six subs." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Return to “The Debriefing Room”