Mac
No votes

Total votes: 22
TheToyMaker
level1
level1

bottom paint questions

Postby TheToyMaker » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:07 pm

the cause of an otherwise unsolvable are best illustrated in the rare, but infor- The RNA polymerases that transcribe
everything nice? and little boys were made of ?snakes and snails and growing and harvesting by the cycles of juice usually has from 100 to 150 calories
im looking for some new anime series to enjoy but i dont really know any really good ones and im kinda a picky chooser about what i do pick up i dont want to read something stupid and i dont want to
ucts are identified in both pathogenicity Protein foams are emulsions of gas in a of G-protein-subunits with which they
Last edited by TheToyMaker on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There's an indentation in my skull next to my ear, right in the spot i usually stick my pen.
UsF
level1
level1

Postby UsF » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:49 pm

I once was told that before you install Linux and then install Windows XP, you should do it the other way around, since Linux recognizes the partition in which XP is installed and therefore won't make any (much) problems.
The other way, Windows XP can create (more) problems or maybe has difficulties if Linux is installed on the first partition (Win->C:\, Linux->hda0?).
I have no idea about how Windows and Mac react together.

Ah and I think that Linux is a Unix-derivative, so Linux-like could be misunderstood. o_o Correct me if I am wrong.

I used SuSe9.1 and Windows XP on different machines, but stick to Windows for now.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:07 pm

Yes. You can install Linux and WinXP on the same machine. Even if it is a Mac using boot camp. As stated above, there are some tricks that you have to use, but it can be done, and these are tricks you would have to use, anyway. You can also install Linux on an older Mac if you wanted (I ran a Red Hat varient on a blue and white G3 for years, until I finally got tired of the lack of drivers).

Also, where is the option for multiple OSes? I run Mac at home, WinXP at work...

xander
TheToyMaker
level1
level1

Postby TheToyMaker » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:48 pm

xander wrote:Also, where is the option for multiple OSes? I run Mac at home, WinXP at work...

what do you mean? i think a lot of places that were on the fence will use macs in the future, as soon as the quirks are worked out of boot camp.
Lastof
level2
level2

Postby Lastof » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:55 pm

He means in the poll options.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:03 pm

TheToyMaker wrote:
xander wrote:Also, where is the option for multiple OSes? I run Mac at home, WinXP at work...

what do you mean? i think a lot of places that were on the fence will use macs in the future, as soon as the quirks are worked out of boot camp.

As Lastof said, I meant the poll questions. Also, I think that there are a lot of places that will not switch over to Macs, even with Boot Camp. The school district where I work, for instance. They can get moderately good HPs for about $700 (including the monitor), IT knows how to support them (and doesn't want to learn anything else), and they work well with the Novell network. It is possible that we will switch back to Mac in the future, but Boot Camp will have nothing to do with it. If the distric decides to use Macs again, it will be because the Macs have come down in price and everyone in IT quits or gets fired, and is replaced by Mac-heads. I don't see that happening any time soon :)

xander
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:33 pm

UsF wrote:I once was told that before you install Linux and then install Windows XP, you should do it the other way around, since Linux recognizes the partition in which XP is installed and therefore won't make any (much) problems.
The other way, Windows XP can create (more) problems or maybe has difficulties if Linux is installed on the first partition (Win->C:\, Linux->hda0?).
I have no idea about how Windows and Mac react together.

Ah and I think that Linux is a Unix-derivative, so Linux-like could be misunderstood. o_o Correct me if I am wrong.

I used SuSe9.1 and Windows XP on different machines, but stick to Windows for now.

Yes, if you install Linux first, when you install WinXP it totally rearranges the boot record, so you need to do some fiddling before you can multi-boot. If you install XP first, when you install Linux it helpfully and graciously allows other OSes to remain accessible ;)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:17 pm

You're missing a few OS's from the list (I kid you not, these exsist and visit the forum in enough numbers to appear in the top 10 in the statistics):

BSD (if you suggest that it is similar to linux, they will rip your throat out and stuff it... nevermind)
Sun Solaris (Hello the ~200 odd frequent visits from you!)
Symbian OS
HP UX
OSF Unix
CP/M
WebTV

NeoThermic
TheSquire
level3
level3

Postby TheSquire » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:33 pm

NeoThermic wrote:WebTV

No joke....interesting.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:35 pm

TheSquire wrote:

No joke....interesting.

The forum statistics are rather intresting, and I've quoted a few of them before. The main advantage of the statistics gathered is they cover every IV forum, so you see intresting trends.

NeoThermic
Aaargh
level2
level2

Postby Aaargh » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:38 pm

NeoThermic wrote:HP UX

Who can afford this?

NeoThermic wrote:CP/M

Really funny. For the ignorants, CP/M is the preceder of DOS, it has even never grown out of 16-bit, and has never got a GUI.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:41 pm

TheSquire wrote:

No joke....interesting.

Hey, man! WebTV is the shiznizzle! (or something)

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:42 pm

Aaargh wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:HP UX

Who can afford this?

I'm not sure. We do have a set of hits from someone using that OS though.

Aaargh wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:CP/M

Really funny. For the ignorants, CP/M is the preceder of DOS, it has even never grown out of 16-bit, and has never got a GUI.

Well, to be fair, when you have this many visitors, you're bound to get some.. intresting results. For example, this month we have picked up hits from Windows 95 and Windows 3.xx!

NeoThermic
Aaargh
level2
level2

Postby Aaargh » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:15 pm

The one with HP UX is probably working in a company and is there checking this forum.

I'm not surprised to see Win95 or Win3.x, those two are still in use, by per example my aunt, but CP/M is impossible. It has died long ago.

Are those statistics free for everyone? I'd love to see them.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:54 pm

Aaargh wrote:The one with HP UX is probably working in a company and is there checking this forum.

I'm not surprised to see Win95 or Win3.x, those two are still in use, by per example my aunt, but CP/M is impossible. It has died long ago.

CP/M isn't as impossible as one thinks then ;)

Aaargh wrote:Are those statistics free for everyone? I'd love to see them.

I could ask if I would be able to make OS and browser related stats open, but I would not be able to make any other stats fully public. We shall see. Plus, it is better to ask me at the beginning of a new month for the stats, as the above info is based on the logs up until two days ago..

NeoThermic

Return to “General”