Multi Platform Release?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

jpcoop14
level1
level1

Postby jpcoop14 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:36 pm

Right, but I've seen different manufacturers do it differently. The only non-legacy ports that were color-coded on my last desktop (a Compaq) were the sound connections, and my altec lansing speakers didnt even use the same color coding.

With the advent of USB it's become a nonissue anyway. Almost everything on a newer computer except display and audio connections use USB.
Chris (from Family Guy): There's this game where you put a dolar in and you win four quarters. I win every time!
jpcoop14
level1
level1

Postby jpcoop14 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:38 pm

xander wrote:
jpcoop14 wrote:Most of the stuff that I have seen them color code are things like P/S 2 and parallel ports, which Macs haven't had for years.

To my knowledge, Macs have never really used PS/2 or parallel. Macs have used 9-pin serial for most of the things that PCs used parallel for, and ADB (Apple Desktop Bus) for keyboards and mice (rather than PS/2). The connectors look about the same, but are not interchangeable. As I recall, ADB had one pin for data, two for power, and a ground wire (only four pins, all together).

xander

Yeah, I'm a Mac n00b. I did know, however, they started switching everything to USB in 1998.
Chris (from Family Guy): There's this game where you put a dolar in and you win four quarters. I win every time!
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:20 am

Oh, bloody hell. The day this forum stays on topic is the day I... (Oh, nvm, I'll probably get a whole lot more pedantism in response). xP

Anyway, only one poster has responded to my original question. Can I get a confirmation to this?

Thanks.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:00 am

xander wrote:I would make the argument that it doesn't really matter what kind of computer you have -- you can upgrade most machines.

I knew Macs were modular in design but I was under the impression that any replacements had to be done by an Apple certified repair shop (vendor locking?). Is that not the case then?

xander wrote:One way or the other, motherboards are irrelevent in terms of Macs. Generally speaking, the motherboard that comes in the cannot be upgraded, or altered.

So if you wanted to replace the motherboard you could only get the exact Mac motherboard you had before? Also, when replacing other components, like RAM, can you only use Apple products?

@daset, things are likely to be the same as was done for Darwinia.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:27 pm

Montyphy wrote:
xander wrote:I would make the argument that it doesn't really matter what kind of computer you have -- you can upgrade most machines.

I knew Macs were modular in design but I was under the impression that any replacements had to be done by an Apple certified repair shop (vendor locking?). Is that not the case then?

No. I have been servicing my Macs since I was 11. I never had to go to a "certified Apple vendor" to get the parts I needed. It may be that the warrenty insists that new parts be added by an Apple vendor, but I'm not sure. I think probably not.

Montyphy wrote:
xander wrote:One way or the other, motherboards are irrelevent in terms of Macs. Generally speaking, the motherboard that comes in the cannot be upgraded, or altered.

So if you wanted to replace the motherboard you could only get the exact Mac motherboard you had before? Also, when replacing other components, like RAM, can you only use Apple products?

1) Basically yes.
2) No. You just have to use the same kind of RAM that you are replacing. When Apple used funky RAM formats, there were several third parties that made RAM for Macs. Since at least the late 90s, Macs have used standard RAM types.

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:01 pm

xander wrote:2) No. You just have to use the same kind of RAM that you are replacing. When Apple used funky RAM formats, there were several third parties that made RAM for Macs. Since at least the late 90s, Macs have used standard RAM types.

xander

Define 'funky RAM formats'? I know RAM came in many types, but I wasn't aware that Mac's used anything special.

NeoThermic
Quantum Particle
level3
level3

Postby Quantum Particle » Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:37 pm

If there ever was a better time to post this, I'd like to know when it was.

http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060513
#Particle man
Particle man
Does whatever a particle can#
My profile!
My forums!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:07 pm

Quantum Particle wrote:If there ever was a better time to post this, I'd like to know when it was.

http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060513

Ah, but the very fact that it is being discussed here means that someone gives a shit :)

As to funky Mac RAM, have a look at the specs: http://www.lowendmac.com/early-macs.html

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:28 pm

xander wrote:Ah, but the very fact that it is being discussed here means that someone gives a shit :)

As to funky Mac RAM, have a look at the specs: http://www.lowendmac.com/early-macs.html

xander

30 pin SIMSs were not uncommon though in computers of that age. I think I've got one or two 30 pin lots lying around here...

(Unless I've missed a RAM type that the early ones had that was rare)

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:47 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
xander wrote:Ah, but the very fact that it is being discussed here means that someone gives a shit :)

xander

30 pin SIMSs were not uncommon though in computers of that age. I think I've got one or two 30 pin lots lying around here...

(Unless I've missed a RAM type that the early ones had that was rare)

NeoThermic

Well, perhaps I am wrong about the funky RAM types. I didn't actually have to swap out the RAM on the Mac II until '99, when the computer was 11 years old. By that time, it was a funky RAM type (or, at least, not the easiest things to find). :)

xander
skull13
level3
level3

Postby skull13 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:25 pm

I want to know this too! Will mac users get it at the same time as the windows users!?
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:05 pm

Next Thursday.

Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:36 pm

Montyphy wrote:Next Thursday.

Quiet you.

It's unlikely that theyll both be released at the same time, unless Ambrosia (?) can translate the code for Mac quickly.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:44 pm

Dude, don't lie to him. Next Thursday is the day.

Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:46 pm

Babylon5 wrote:Quiet you.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.

Return to “General”