Multi Platform Release?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

daset
level3
level3
Posts: 348
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:56 am

Multi Platform Release?

Postby daset » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:47 am

The n00b has a question again.

Will this be released on multiple platforms, like Mac, PC, and Linux, for example, as was done with the boxed version of Uplink? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
User avatar
Montyphy
level5
level5
Posts: 6745
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: London, England

Postby Montyphy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:37 am

Um... "Mac, PC, and Linux"? Your list suggests that PC means Windows... that's just wrong... so very wrong...

Linux and Windows ports are certain. There's not much between porting the code. Mac will be a little harder but it's likely that will also be done... eventually.

I personally would like to see a Windows XP 64bit port, if possible.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:02 pm

Montyphy wrote:Um... "Mac, PC, and Linux"? Your list suggests that PC means Windows... that's just wrong... so very wrong...

While PC does mean "personal computer," it is generally understood that it means a Windows system. Thus, if you wish to be overly pedantic, comparing a Mac to a PC would be technically incorrect. However, most people would understand exactly what you meant by comparing a Mac to a PC. Furthermore, most people would be confused if you refered to a Mac as a PC. This is a linguistic battle that you have already lost :)

xander
TheSquire
level3
level3
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:47 am

Postby TheSquire » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:28 pm

But it's not ambiguous at all; the old school conservative guy in the suit is a PC, and the hip young guys is a Mac! And for some reason the old guy doesn't really get it and always loses. I wonder if that means something.....
relachs
level1
level1
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:00 pm
Location: Hamburg, SH, Germany

Postby relachs » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:25 pm

Hah, i have seen these comercial clips on youtube. funny and ridiculous :)
User avatar
Montyphy
level5
level5
Posts: 6745
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: London, England

Postby Montyphy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:31 pm

xander wrote:While PC does mean "personal computer," it is generally understood that it means a Windows system


Not really. In my experience, the term PC is rarely ever used in order to refer to an OS. However, there is the general assumption that a PC will be running Windows but that's due to Microsoft's dominance of the market.

xander wrote:Furthermore, most people would be confused if you refered to a Mac as a PC


That would be because PCs are generally considered to be machines that can consist of non-proprietary hardware and software which the owner can change at will, whereas Macs have a reputation of being the opposite. Although the Mac stigma is less true now since the use of Intel processors enabling a non-Mac OS to be installed and run on Mac hardware rather than just emulating one. If I remember correctly, Apple do not allow Mac owners to make their own upgrades with components of thier choice. Is that still the case?

This is a linguistic battle that you have already lost


Is this a reference to something or just you being arrogant? Hopefully it's not the latter.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
User avatar
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff
Posts: 6254
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:55 am
Location: ::1
Contact:

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:39 pm

Hmm. In the blue corner, we have our relitivaly new contender Montyphy! Knowledge of many things British, and working for BBC Research!

In the red corner, we have xander, the semi-longtime uber-poster of the Darwinia forums. Knowledge of many things American and strange, like Mac's, and working as a teacher!

Let the fight begin!

NeoThermic
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:41 pm

Montyphy wrote:--==<snip>==--

When you say "PC", nearly every person who hears you will assume that you are talking about a Windows machine -- the reasons for this are irrelevant, though, as you say, MS's dominance in the market probably has quite a bit to do with it. You can argue all you want about that not being correct, and you would be technically right. That doesn't change the fact that most people don't see the distinction that way, and would be confused if you refered to a Mac as a PC. To most people, a PC referes to a personal computer that is running Windows.

In terms of the battle being lost, it is basically the same battle that Google is fighting against the verb "to google." Google doesn't want people to use google as a verb, because it dilutes the trademark. However, people do use google as a verb. There isn't much that Google can do about it, in the same way that there is not much that you can do about people not refering to Macs as PCs.

In conclusion, http://objection.4camp.net/go.php?n=304427 .

xander
TheSquire
level3
level3
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:47 am

Postby TheSquire » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:40 pm

Montyphy wrote: If I remember correctly, Apple do not allow Mac owners to make their own upgrades with components of thier choice. Is that still the case?

They actually supply instructions in the manual that comes with new macs on how to add more memory to your system.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:15 pm

TheSquire wrote:
Montyphy wrote: If I remember correctly, Apple do not allow Mac owners to make their own upgrades with components of thier choice. Is that still the case?

They actually supply instructions in the manual that comes with new macs on how to add more memory to your system.

Indeed. Also, I have used Macs much of my life. In that time, I have done the following:

Mac II:
* added RAM
* added a hard drive
* added a high density floppy drive, which required upgrading the CPU
* swapped the MMU for a PMMU
* added a second video card

G3 Tower:
* added RAM
* added two hard drives
* added a DVD-ROM drive, after removing one of the other hard drives to make space
* added a second video card
* swapped the modem port for a 9-pin serial port

G4 Laptop:
* added RAM

I would make the argument that it doesn't really matter what kind of computer you have -- you can upgrade most machines. iMacs are a pain to upgrade (though, while working tech support in high school, I did a fair share of that, too). Most of the towers are a joy to upgrade.

Also, in response to Apple "not allowing" people to use components of their choice, the Mac II is almost 20 years old. For at least 20 years, Apple has allowed people to add hardware to their machines -- in fact, the Mac II was lauded by many for its 6 expansion slots, allowing for a total of 6 monitors, if one wished -- there were used in a fair number of information kiosks.

xander
User avatar
svack
level1
level1
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: Brighton, Biatch
Contact:

Postby svack » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:52 pm

@ daset
I would say expect the Windows and Linux version together, then the Mac release a while after

@Montyphy
A 64bit version would probably come on the CD as it would only need a 64bit executable

@xander
PC can mean any OS but people tend to assume windows, so in a twisted way, you are both correct, I blame games publishers for labeling windows games "PC-CD" or "PC-DVD"
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:57 pm

svack wrote:@xander
PC can mean any OS but people tend to assume windows, so in a twisted way, you are both correct, I blame games publishers for labeling windows games "PC-CD" or "PC-DVD"

That is, basically, the point that I am trying to make. Technically, PC stands for "personal computer," and can mean any personal computer -- Linux, Mac, Windows, BeOS, whatever. In reality, the term PC is used to refer to x86 compatible machines running Windows. The distinction between a PC and a Mac seems to be fairly well understood -- do a quick search for "mac vs pc" or "pc vs mac", and you will come across a plethora of pages that use the phase, including a couple at PCWorld, Apple, O'Reilley, &c. It is commonly understood that Mac != PC.

xander
User avatar
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff
Posts: 6254
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 10:55 am
Location: ::1
Contact:

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:33 pm

svack wrote:I blame games publishers for labeling windows games "PC-CD" or "PC-DVD"


Actually, their usage of PC-CD or PC-DVD is correct. Their CD's/DVD's are PC compatable. Their game might not install on any PC you put it in, but as long as the drive you're using can read CD's/DVD's and is PC compatable, their disk is labled to work in that drive.

NeoThermic
Darksun
level5
level5
Posts: 6461
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:08 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1

Postby Darksun » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:41 am

Yes, but in the interest of being PC, PC shall refer to all PCs, whether they're PC or Mac :P
jpcoop14
level1
level1
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:14 am
Location: West Virginia, USA

Postby jpcoop14 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:48 am

Montyphy wrote: If I remember correctly, Apple do not allow Mac owners to make their own upgrades with components of thier choice. Is that still the case?


On a MacBook all you have to do to upgrade the hard drive and RAM is pop out the battery, unscrew like 3 screws, and lift out a bracket.
Chris (from Family Guy): There's this game where you put a dolar in and you win four quarters. I win every time!

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests