Will this be released over Steam?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

paramite12
level0

Will this be released over Steam?

Postby paramite12 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:56 pm

I was wondering if this will be released over Steam like Darwinia was.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:02 pm

Probably, but I do not know that any official word has been given. Best to just wait and find out.

xander
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:32 pm

There's a good chance it will be, but I'd prefer a boxed copy.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
UsF
level1
level1

Postby UsF » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:51 pm

I'd also prefer a boxed copy, since I don't have any credit card.
Maybe if Steam would finally support Paypal, I wouldn't mind.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:05 pm

UsF wrote:I'd also prefer a boxed copy, since I don't have any credit card.
Maybe if Steam would finally support Paypal, I wouldn't mind.

Given IV's history, it is almost certain that a boxed copy will also be available. Uplink was never distributed on Steam, and Darwinia was sold boxed before it came to Steam. Even now, you can still get Darwinia from a box (in shops in the UK, direct from IV, or from Cineware Marquee in shops in the US). If you want a boxed copy of Darwinia, you will probably be able to get one.

xander
Twitchy
level1
level1

Postby Twitchy » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:59 pm

Yeah, but those in the US are buggered if they want a boxed copy, it will prolly be siginificantly cheaper over steam.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:16 pm

Twitchy wrote:Yeah, but those in the US are buggered if they want a boxed copy, it will prolly be siginificantly cheaper over steam.

1) You can buy Darwinia directly from Introversion Software: $29.99 plus shipping.
2) You can buy Darwinia from Cineware Marquee, via Amazon: $19.00 plus shipping.

These are both boxed copies. The Steam version of Darwinia costs just as much as the Cineware Marquee distribution. I can't imagine that Defcon will be any different in that regard.

xander
Leonaken
level3
level3

Postby Leonaken » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:26 pm

Even the beta testers don't know about what the distribution method of DEFCON will be, just when the game's goldmaster is due. Due for the benefit of whom or what, we don't know. In the past, though, IV have said that they do want to do distribution over Steam, as it brought increased sales with minimal overhead. But they didn't sign a long-term agreement with Valve for the purposes of staying completely independent and so that if Steam went down by the time DEFCON was done, they weren't going down with them.
Avenged
level2
level2

Postby Avenged » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:39 pm

I dont mind digital downloads and whilst i loved halflife 2 and all of valves releases, im not a fan of steam at all. I brought darwina via steam and it really sucks that you have to log into steam in order to actually boot up the game, the same with halflife 2. Its a shame that when uve installed a game u still have to use their system. I think they should move away from it. But, steam are huge and so DEFCON will get great coverage and if its a good game will sell like hotcakes :-)

In fact going back to the release date of HL2 i seem to remember hundreds of thousands of disgruntled fans trying to access the overburdened steam server in order to download 3/4 of the actuall game so that you could play the damn thing. I was not a happy bunny. Took about 3 hours just to connect and an hour for the download for me! They got seriously slammed by the press for that one, hehe.
HostFat
level1
level1

Postby HostFat » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:48 pm

I hope that IV will release it on Steam!
I want to preload and preorder it now! :D

@Avenged
Everything about Steam work perfectly now ;)
I brought darwina via steam and it really sucks that you have to log into steam in order to actually boot up the game

You have only to add a shortcut on the desktop ( from steam, only one time ), use it and than the login will be automaticaly ;)
Avenged
level2
level2

Postby Avenged » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Yeah cheers i already have it on automatic, its just annoys me that you must use the steam server to launch your game and you must have an internet connection. Some people play games on laptops too and not everyone has an internet connection.

I dunno i just think they should allow you to play the games without being logged into steam. Its my only gripe with the otherwise excellent service.

Many people that did not have an internet connection missed out on HL2. A friend of mine at work had that trouble and was gutted! He ended up getting it months later on the xbox.
HostFat
level1
level1

Postby HostFat » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:29 pm

Steam has the offline mode, it only need to connect one time ... but you must download the game at 100%
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:38 pm

Avenged wrote:Yeah cheers i already have it on automatic, its just annoys me that you must use the steam server to launch your game and you must have an internet connection. Some people play games on laptops too and not everyone has an internet connection.

You do not have to connect to the internet to play Darwinia, even if you have the Steam version. If it really bothers you, you can extract the data files, grab one of the binary patches from IV, and play with no Steam involved at all.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE ONLINE TO PLAY THE STEAM VERSION OF DARWINIA.

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:04 pm

xander wrote:YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE ONLINE TO PLAY THE STEAM VERSION OF DARWINIA.

xander

Multiwinia on the other hand....

NeoThermic
Avenged
level2
level2

Postby Avenged » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:14 pm

xander wrote:
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE ONLINE TO PLAY THE STEAM VERSION OF DARWINIA.

xander

Oh good, it connects to steam every time i try and boot the game up so i didnt realise that.

Thanks for the advice by the way Hostfat, its good to know people can be friendly and helpful around here. :o

Return to “General”