Will this be released over Steam?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

AliMente
level1
level1

Postby AliMente » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:00 pm

I'd really like to know details about the release date in good old Germany. Will the game be released on the same date in all countries? I've searched the forum for information on this, but I wasn't succesful. As I am about to work on the small island of Wangerooge I'll need the game to keep me away from drugs and a beginning mental disorder...

P.S.: Sorry if I introduced some new words to the english language, but it seems like all my knowledge of this lovely language is flowing out of my brain within days.

P.P.S.: To all the german readers (even though I write this in english): Why does google translate "vom verrücktwerden abzuhalten" into "from will hold"?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:29 pm

AliMente wrote:I'd really like to know details about the release date in good old Germany. Will the game be released on the same date in all countries? I've searched the forum for information on this, but I wasn't succesful. As I am about to work on the small island of Wangerooge I'll need the game to keep me away from drugs and a beginning mental disorder...

I would imagine that Defcon will be released everywhere at the same time. If you get it on CD, though, you may have to wait a bit longer, because the mail to Germany may be a bit slower than the mail within the UK :)

xander
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:56 pm

I was wondering about voicing this question myself. My fear is that if Defcon is released through steam, we'll have to use steam to play online, which in my opinion would suck a bit. I wouldn't mind if you could buy it through steam and play it offline like with Darwinia, but having to be logged into steam to play online would hamper LAN games somewhat and would be anoying.

Still, it's unlikely to stop me from buying defcon, but I'd be much happier if it was steam - independant.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:32 pm

MrBunsy wrote:I was wondering about voicing this question myself. My fear is that if Defcon is released through steam, we'll have to use steam to play online, which in my opinion would suck a bit. I wouldn't mind if you could buy it through steam and play it offline like with Darwinia, but having to be logged into steam to play online would hamper LAN games somewhat and would be anoying.

Still, it's unlikely to stop me from buying defcon, but I'd be much happier if it was steam - independant.

The betas do not require Steam, and I expect IV to sell a non-Steam version (assuming that they are going to continue working with Valve in the first place). I am sure that you will not be required to use Steam to play online -- that would kind of defeat the purpose of the game.

xander
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:41 pm

xander wrote: I am sure that you will not be required to use Steam to play online -- that would kind of defeat the purpose of the game.

How does Steam defeat the purpose of the game ?
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:35 am

yes xander -- what IS the purpose of the game?
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:29 am

xander is logically correct. The point of Defcon is nuclear war. Steam is not going to provide anything other than a distribution method should IV wish to use it. Thus why would you need Steam to play Defcon?

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:51 am

alphager wrote:How does Steam defeat the purpose of the game ?

To axiomatic statements:

1) The game is best played multiplayer.
2) IV have stated several times that there will be Mac and Linux versions of the game. It is also probable that there will be a Windows stand-alone version (i.e. Steam-free).

If the point of the game is multiplayer, and the game can only be played with multiple players if you have Steam, then Mac and Linux users cannot play multiplayer games. If they cannot play multiplayer games, then the point of the game has been defeated. Therefore, only allowing Steam users to play multiplayer games would defeat the the point of the game. This logic only fails if either (1) or (2) is false.

xander
DeepQantas
level1
level1

Postby DeepQantas » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:31 am

xander wrote:The betas do not require Steam, and I expect IV to sell a non-Steam version (assuming that they are going to continue working with Valve in the first place). I am sure that you will not be required to use Steam to play online -- that would kind of defeat the purpose of the game.

Hm. I'm not so certain that's a good estimate. Alien Swarm: Infested is in alphas and even tho it's a Source engine project it doesn't currently require Steam for multiplayer... however I'm quite certain it's still going to require Steam for online play when released. Having everyone's game always be up-to-date is just too good for a dev to pass on.

That said, tho, I do hope people at Valve figure out an easy way to set up a LAN game. That's still one of the big flaws in Steam as a whole. :?

The separate boxed set is a good sign for Steamless LAN games, tho, yeah.

(Find the inconspicuous advertisement in this post and win a free parasite! ~m)
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:35 pm

Under the consideration that IV's curent system for multiplayer games does not rely on Steam, and deals with out of date versions correctly, I *totally* doubt that it will require Steam to play online. Steam here (AFAIK) is identical to how Darwinia was done over Steam; it is only a delivery method for the game, nothing more.

NeoThermic
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:54 pm

If that's the case then that's great news! I'll admit I had actually forgotten about the mac and linux versions :oops:
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:14 pm

ok, xander, you win. ;-)
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:01 pm

Xander always wins.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:22 pm

prophile wrote:Xander always wins.

It's true. I always win. Just ask Wendr-- ow!! Um... appearantly, I don't always win, and shouldn't claim that I do when she is reading over my shoulder.

In other news: prophile! You are alive!

xander
AliMente
level1
level1

Postby AliMente » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:32 am

xander wrote:I would imagine that Defcon will be released everywhere at the same time. If you get it on CD, though, you may have to wait a bit longer, because the mail to Germany may be a bit slower than the mail within the UK :)

xander

Do you think that Amazon will sell the game? Because that would be my #2-alternative if I'll not be abled to walk into a shop, grab a copy of the game, buy it and drive home with a crazy smile on my face. I don't really like giving my credit card information to too many online-shops, and I don't think that I would use the Introversion-shop more than once.
Show me your nuke and I tell you who you are

Return to “General”