DEFCON Icon

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:41 pm

Aaargh wrote:Unbelievebale cooincidence :shock: Yesterday's LICD comic

....That... is the single most awesome thing that will be contributed to the boards. All. Week.

/golf clap
W31RD0
level3
level3

New here

Postby W31RD0 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:16 pm

Montyphy, guess you're right.
Hairy, yeah, I'm new here, although my user is over a year old. Created a user in here, when I started to play Uplink a lot, and then forgot all about it. Yesterday, I wanted to create a user, and found out, that I already had one.
It is great that war is so terrible... Otherwise, we may get to fond of it...
Quote from the WWII game "Call of Duty"...
Aaargh
level2
level2

Postby Aaargh » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:50 pm

trickfred wrote:
Aaargh wrote:Unbelievebale cooincidence :shock: Yesterday's LICD comic

....That... is the single most awesome thing that will be contributed to the boards. All. Week.

/golf clap

Thank you, thank you, you can start worshiping me now.
trickfred
level5
level5

Postby trickfred » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:06 pm

Aaargh wrote:Thank you, thank you, you can start worshiping me now.

Okay, now that's pushing it. :P

(Unless of course, you're wearing fishnets and carrying a riding crop... then that's a different story.)
xander
level5
level5

Re: The whole advert campaign is based on FUD and Apple's RD

Postby xander » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:35 pm

Lastof wrote:Ok, I feel I should make a correction. The iLife apps do come bundled with all new macs...

Oi! You are correct. I went to configure an iMac, and confused iWork for iLife. Stupid fucking i. I hates them!

NeoThermic wrote:Yeah, drivers are a bitch on windows sometimes. All you need is one crappy device to provide hours of fuckability :)

What's really annoying is that is how it worked straight from Dell, and Dell refused to admit that there was a problem :/

NeoThermic wrote:You can satisify the customer and give them great tech support, sure, but that doesn't stop you from having an awfull PR section ;)

Indeed. The entire PR department needs to fall victim to one of Stevey's firing rampages. That would be better for the whole world.

NeoThermic wrote:i'VeNoIdeaWhyAllAppsStartWithAnIOnMacs. So that advert is a little economical with the truth? I feel we are touching incredibly close to my main point here :)

I was wrong on this point, see above.

NeoThermic wrote:Yipes. Well, you *can* get such "lickable" cases for PC's, but uh, do you really want to salvate every time you see your computer like Pavlov's dog?

On the other hand, how many people actually bother to get new cases? Most people buy a computer, with a bog standard case (probably black, at this point), and never get a different case. They don't even know that you can. Those that care enough to go out and buy a new case, or mod their current case, are a small minority of computer users. Those that know is it possible are a slightly larger minority. Most people will just use their computers as they were bought.

NeoThermic wrote:For more space? Thats why I upgraded my case. AFAICR, it's larger than a G5 case :)

Again, people who buy Macs generally don't care. The low end machines (the iMacs and Mac Minis) are damn near impossible to upgrade (except for RAM), and the high end machines tend to have enough space for everything that one could want -- the new towers have space for 4 hard drives, 8 DIMMS, 4 PCI cards, and two optical drives, among other things. Seems big enough for me ;)

NeoThermic wrote:If it isn't a phase, mind doing some Anti-"Apple's PR"? :) & ;)

In what sense? The concept sounds good to me...

NeoThermic wrote:As a side note, are you a bit annoyed by the 450px wide edit box when quoting people? I've posted this from a test skin that has a larger editable area (as wide as your browser can do), do you think, and does anyone else think, that it would be something to enable here?

I think that is a great idea. More space is better. :)

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:43 pm

xander wrote:What's really annoying is that is how it worked straight from Dell, and Dell refused to admit that there was a problem :/

My. That is bad customer service for Dell.

xander wrote:Indeed. The entire PR department needs to fall victim to one of Stevey's firing rampages. That would be better for the whole world.

Then hopefully Jobs will re-hire the lot who made the 1984 advert.

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:i'VeNoIdeaWhyAllAppsStartWithAnIOnMacs. So that advert is a little economical with the truth? I feel we are touching incredibly close to my main point here :)

I was wrong on this point, see above.

Therefor I conceed this point due to the inaccuracy of the section I based my comment on.

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:Yipes. Well, you *can* get such "lickable" cases for PC's, but uh, do you really want to salvate every time you see your computer like Pavlov's dog?

On the other hand, how many people actually bother to get new cases? Most people buy a computer, with a bog standard case (probably black, at this point), and never get a different case. They don't even know that you can. Those that care enough to go out and buy a new case, or mod their current case, are a small minority of computer users. Those that know is it possible are a slightly larger minority. Most people will just use their computers as they were bought.

I'm not sure about the US, but in the UK they have started to push new cases quite hard. You can walk into PC World and you'll see a display of cases at the front of the store, and they will change your current case for a new one (obviously once you depart with a charge..)

xander wrote:the high end machines tend to have enough space for everything that one could want -- the new towers have space for 4 hard drives, 8 DIMMS, 4 PCI cards, and two optical drives, among other things. Seems big enough for me ;)

Well, I can currently fit 4 DIMMS, 6 PCI cards, 1 AGP, 11 optical or 16 HD's and enough space to also mout two PSU's and 9 fans for coolng, or some amazing watercooling ;)

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:If it isn't a phase, mind doing some Anti-"Apple's PR"? :) & ;)

In what sense? The concept sounds good to me...

I'm not fully sure currenty, but I'm sure we could pencel out some ideas.

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:As a side note, are you a bit annoyed by the 450px wide edit box when quoting people? I've posted this from a test skin that has a larger editable area (as wide as your browser can do), do you think, and does anyone else think, that it would be something to enable here?

I think that is a great idea. More space is better. :)

*strikes hammer* DONE!

NeoThermic
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:52 pm

NeoThermic wrote:*strikes hammer* DONE!

I always knew you were Thor.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
Chittix
level2
level2

Postby Chittix » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:21 pm

I like the new space :)
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
The_B
level1
level1

Postby The_B » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:29 pm

Loving the new red 3D icons! :D
I came, I saw, I Autoran...
The Mad Gamer

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:06 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Then hopefully Jobs will re-hire the lot who made the 1984 advert.

Wouldn't that be nice?

NeoThermic wrote:I'm not sure about the US, but in the UK they have started to push new cases quite hard. You can walk into PC World and you'll see a display of cases at the front of the store, and they will change your current case for a new one (obviously once you depart with a charge..)

I honestly don't know. The last time I stepped into a CompUSA or BestBuy or any other kind of computer selling establishment was years and years ago, unless you count a brief trip into an Apple Store to get a cable replaced. Which they couldn't. Because they were complete fucktards. Stupid elitist morons. I hate Apple Stores.

NeoThermic wrote:Well, I can currently fit 4 DIMMS, 6 PCI cards, 1 AGP, 11 optical or 16 HD's and enough space to also mout two PSU's and 9 fans for coolng, or some amazing watercooling ;)

That is a monster case. I am certain that 99% of people would have no idea what to do with it :)

\o/ Can you make it 100 px taller, too?

xander
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:08 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Well, I can currently fit 4 DIMMS, 6 PCI cards, 1 AGP, 11 optical or 16 HD's and enough space to also mout two PSU's and 9 fans for coolng, or some amazing watercooling ;)

So when are you gonna go PCI-express? :)

Also liking the new Post-a-Reply boxes. Its strange having so much space.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Frash
level0

Postby Frash » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:41 pm

Your're both wrong.

Image forever!!!
Chittix
level2
level2

Postby Chittix » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:50 pm

Amiga? Pssh. Too overly complicated.

I plan to play Defcon on my abacus.
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:03 pm

Did any of the UK residents of these forums happen to watch a Channel 4 program a while back about the Chinese education system? The kids in the higher years of the school they reported from had been so conditioned to doing speed calculations on abacuses that they no longer needed them, instead they opted to use imaginary ones. It was quite scary to watch.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:24 pm

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:Then hopefully Jobs will re-hire the lot who made the 1984 advert.

Wouldn't that be nice?

One can dream, can't they?

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:I'm not sure about the US, but in the UK they have started to push new cases quite hard. You can walk into PC World and you'll see a display of cases at the front of the store, and they will change your current case for a new one (obviously once you depart with a charge..)

I honestly don't know. The last time I stepped into a CompUSA or BestBuy or any other kind of computer selling establishment was years and years ago, unless you count a brief trip into an Apple Store to get a cable replaced. Which they couldn't. Because they were complete fucktards. Stupid elitist morons. I hate Apple Stores.

So which chapter of your book does this come from? ;)

It's ok though, most comptuer store workers (the ones on the shop floor) are fucktards. Those who actually know anything are shoved away in the back of the store doing repairs, testing returned equiptment and actually running the shop.

xander wrote:

That is a monster case. I am certain that 99% of people would have no idea what to do with it :)

Well, I should hope that the simple answer is to put drives into it ;)

xander wrote:

\o/ Can you make it 100 px taller, too?

I don't wish to try anything that could add a scrollbar on smaller resolutions. Currently the post reply resizes correctly so that 800x600 doesn't get a scroll bar when posting. Adding 100px to that would break that.

Montyphy wrote:

So when are you gonna go PCI-express? :)

Also liking the new Post-a-Reply boxes. Its strange having so much space.

When I have the money to get a new computer! (I'm stuck on EOL tech. Silly Intel for dropping the s487 before PCI-E).

I'm glad we all like the new reply boxes. I'm just doing the final touches to the Uplink one as well (the Darwinia one has already been done), and all should be ready to go soon :)

NeoThermic

Return to “General”