Bluff attack

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Ruges
level2
level2

Bluff attack

Postby Ruges » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:20 pm

I was just watching wargames for the uptenth time again. And I was thinking there could a some stratagy in a bluff attack. where you simulate a launch but remain the defensive. Then the oposite player is either then forced to go on the offensive before his assets are destroyed, Or remain on the defensive. And then if a player remains on the defensive, and when he discovers that it was just a bluff goes on the offensive. Only to find out that the first wave was a bluff and the secound wave was real.
Ruges
Guild leader of HoD
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:52 pm

Sounds like a good idea, but it's unlikely.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
Ruges
level2
level2

Postby Ruges » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:27 pm

Ohh and false launches too. Where a countries inteligence/technology malfunction's or has a error and says there is a luanch where really there is not one.
Ruges

Guild leader of HoD
mindule
level2
level2

Postby mindule » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:14 am

Wouldn't that be very unfair? There would be no real way to defend yourself.
Woelf
level1
level1

Postby Woelf » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:38 am

mindule wrote:Wouldn't that be very unfair? There would be no real way to defend yourself.

Welcome to the real world...
UsF
level1
level1

Postby UsF » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:15 am

Hm. I'd like to put a question of my own in this thread too.

Is it possible to launch strikes a t sea targets?

Anyway, the thing with those "bluff attacks" would be, that everyone would do them and noone would know anymore when you launch a real strike, which would be kinda destroying the gameplay. I mean all you do is wait for that one moment when a nuke goes off and taking actions against that. Ruining that feeling by bluff attacks wouldn't do it.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:37 pm

UsF wrote:Is it possible to launch strikes a t sea targets?

I'll pose it in a reverse question. If you own an ICBM in real life, you can target it anywhere in the world. Do you think that includes the sea?

NeoThermic
UsF
level1
level1

Postby UsF » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:58 pm

I was asking that, because of balancing issues maybe? A group of ICBM-carrying submarines could be taken out by one nuke or does the nuke have no effect on subs (when they are deep under water, dunno).

I believe you'll be able to strike anything, anywhere, anytime (at defcon1)?

Ah NeoThermic: An ICBM is also able to be shot over the northpole. But that might not be ingame. :wink:
Ruges
level2
level2

Postby Ruges » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:29 pm

UsF wrote:
Anyway, the thing with those "bluff attacks" would be, that everyone would do them and noone would know anymore when you launch a real strike, which would be kinda destroying the gameplay. I mean all you do is wait for that one moment when a nuke goes off and taking actions against that. Ruining that feeling by bluff attacks wouldn't do it.

Well there would have tobe a negative effect of launcing a bluff attack. Maybe leaving your silo's useless for a short period of time. Or maybe you would need to use your radar power to project to bluff attacking making them unable to detect incomping objects.
Ruges

Guild leader of HoD

Return to “General”