Dakan Cheating Scum

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:58 am

Dirk Diggler wrote:
trickser wrote:The keyID was not from steam and has been used since February.
I am not totally sure about banning the usage of exploits, but sure in this is case it has been a massive advantage.

purposeful usage of exploits is cheating. plain and simple. cheaters should be banned.

what we need is strong administration to stamp cheating out. the powers that be seem to have a real laissez faire attitude to cheating which is really disappointing. cheating must be kept to a detectable minimum. it should be standard practice to ban cheaters.

As a genuine player I feel totally let down by the current status quo.

So Kudyata banned the cheaters ID on your request, but thinks it's not enough cause it will change quickly. I took another look and found it's a regular ID and the ban will be as effective as a ban can be.

So when you say, you feel let down, then you can't mean our actions, but what then, my words?

Maybe because I expressed doubts? It's necessary to have doubts in order to make meaningful decisions. And the whole banning is highly doubtful. The negative side-effects already giving me headaches.

Lastly you should think about the limits of power, as you are calling it.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:28 am

The_Doctor wrote:Look to the top right corner. 23629 new people have access to the source code.
How many of them will find exploits?

I wouldn't worry too much. Few will be programmers, even less C++ ones, and some might not even bother. The chances of someone malicious stumbling across a new exploit is unlikely (at least, I hope so).

Colytic
Dakan
level0

Postby Dakan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:43 pm

Hi everyone,

I learnt this trick from Tobias, which is one of the best ranked player on sfcon servers ... should he get banned too ? :D
.. this is exactly just like crossing berring ... the 'panama canal' should be used in this game as it is in real world ...

https://encrypted.google.com/search?tbm ... tbs=imgo:1

.. I'll buy a new key (introversion should thank you all) .. also, banning ip will be useless as i'll be able to use a ssh proxy on dedicated server with dynamical ip for something like 3$ a month and even have many other uses of it for that price so it doesn't really matter ...

The game allow it, why must i be banned for something that should be corrected by introversion if it's not allowed in game ?
imo this ban is unfair and the trick I use is absolutely not in same category as space-bombers for example ...
... do you really think i have read the source code to find that ? omg ... rofl ...
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:14 pm

Dakan wrote:.. this is exactly just like crossing berring ... the 'panama canal' should be used in this game as it is in real world ...

Not at all. The Berring Strait is a visible water mass on the DEFCON map. The Panama Canal is not. By your logic, why can't subs sail up the Thames and nuke London easily? Soon we'll be arguing over water depths and realistic missile trajectories from nearby rivers. DEFCON is a game. If you'd agreed with Dirk beforehand it might have been acceptable. As it was, it was simply a very underhand way of getting an enormous advantage, and your 'real world justification' is just laughable.

Dakan wrote:.. I'll buy a new key (introversion should thank you all) .. also, banning ip will be useless as i'll be able to use a ssh proxy on dedicated server with dynamical ip for something like 3$ a month and even have many other uses of it for that price so it doesn't really matter ...

Then you better keep hiding yourself or you'll be banned again. And as for the proxy, well. Lol. We don't need to; your IP probably changes all the time.

Dakan wrote:... do you really think i have read the source code to find that ? omg ... rofl ...

No one said that.

Colytic
keger
level1
level1

Postby keger » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:41 am

Colytic wrote:
Deadcows wrote:Im not too sure but didnt Doc figure out how to get ip from rec file?

Only AKE servers release IPs in *.drecs, which to be honest I am glad about for the sake of people's privacy.

It's the only effective way to investigate fishy players.

Privacy? The only information you'll get out of it is the name of the ISP and a more or less vague geographic location (unless you're the ISP or law enforcement, of course). I'd say it's a good trade off.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:43 am

keger wrote:
Colytic wrote:
Deadcows wrote:Im not too sure but didnt Doc figure out how to get ip from rec file?

Only AKE servers release IPs in *.drecs, which to be honest I am glad about for the sake of people's privacy.

Privacy? The only information you'll get out of it is the name of the ISP and a more or less vague geographic location (unless you're the ISP or law enforcement, of course). I'd say it's a good trade off.

You have been around 5 years prob longer and you have only made 37 post?
-SH
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:48 am

keger wrote:
Colytic wrote:Only AKE servers release IPs in *.drecs, which to be honest I am glad about for the sake of people's privacy.

Getting a false IP address is even easier potentially than a new key. Administrators can access these IPs from the logs anyway. In my opinion there is no need to release information on people's very town or city to an average John Smith.
keger
level1
level1

Postby keger » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:09 am

Colytic wrote:Getting a false IP address is even easier potentially than a new key.

It's true you can quite easily go through a proxy, but I still think disclosing the IPs is dissuasive for most troublemakers.

Colytic wrote:Administrators can access these IPs from the logs anyway.

We don't keep logs, they're parsed (to get the game length and the list of players) then deleted. We could keep them, but that's not the point: we stopped playing Defcon a long time ago and the only reason we're still running the AKE servers is that they're very low maintenance. We really don't have time to answer requests for logs whenever there is cheating suspicion so we instead give you guys all the information and let you handle the investigation.

Sicilian Hound wrote:You have been around 5 years prob longer and you have only made 37 post?

38 now.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:12 am

keger wrote:We don't keep logs, they're parsed (to get the game length and the list of players) then deleted. We could keep them, but that's not the point: we stopped playing Defcon a long time ago and the only reason we're still running the AKE servers is that they're very low maintenance. We really don't have time to answer requests for logs whenever there is cheating suspicion so we instead give you guys all the information and let you handle the investigation.

Fair enough about time, and I appreciate you still hosting these servers. However, I dislike the releasing of IP addresses; it's almost enough to make me use a proxy. My IP address can be tracked to my exact town, and I use my surname on my Steam account. Using just these, if someone really were bothered (and too many would be for the hell of it; Conflict Europe was tracked to near his street), you could locate me. I dislike that and disapprove of just hurling this data out on to the internet.

Colytic

Return to “General”