General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Dirk Diggler
level1
level1

Dakan Cheating Scum

Postby Dirk Diggler » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:12 pm

Just left a game playing "Dakan"

Thankfully while playing a spectator alerted me to the fact that he glitched some fleet through america. Which is appropriate behavior in such circumstances.

when i asked him how many he replied "enough". There was no attempt at contrition, just the reply "enough". Which makes it likely that it was planned.

This after slow playing for the whole game just as i had his silos by the balls.

Cheaters should be banned end of story. If it goes unpunished there is no way to stop it.
The_Doctor
level3
level3

Re: Dakan Cheating Scum

Postby The_Doctor » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:45 pm

Dirk Diggler wrote:Just left a game playing "Dakan"

Thankfully while playing a spectator alerted me to the fact that he glitched some fleet through america. Which is appropriate behavior in such circumstances.

when i asked him how many he replied "enough". There was no attempt at contrition, just the reply "enough". Which makes it likely that it was planned.

This after slow playing for the whole game just as i had his silos by the balls.

Cheaters should be banned end of story. If it goes unpunished there is no way to stop it.

kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:18 pm

I banned the keyID, but it's a Steam user. PM me next time it's happening in real time, if I'm around I can get an IP address and ban it that way.
Dirk Diggler
level1
level1

Postby Dirk Diggler » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:48 pm

kudayta wrote:I banned the keyID, but it's a Steam user. PM me next time it's happening in real time, if I'm around I can get an IP address and ban it that way.

sorry kud could you explain the steam ID, this can be changed? the ability to get the IP address should be handed around no?

this guy is a good player, it's one of just a few players around. Look at the screens, who's fleet setup does that look like to you....
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:16 pm

Dirk Diggler wrote:
kudayta wrote:I banned the keyID, but it's a Steam user. PM me next time it's happening in real time, if I'm around I can get an IP address and ban it that way.

sorry kud could you explain the steam ID, this can be changed? the ability to get the IP address should be handed around no?

this guy is a good player, it's one of just a few players around. Look at the screens, who's fleet setup does that look like to you....

Yeah, the Steam keyID changes all the time. The ability to get the IP is available only to me during a live match. trickser can get it from the logs, I think.
Deadcows
level2
level2

Postby Deadcows » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:33 pm

kudayta wrote:
Dirk Diggler wrote:

Yeah, the Steam keyID changes all the time. The ability to get the IP is available only to me during a live match. trickser can get it from the logs, I think.

Im not too sure but didnt Doc figure out how to get ip from rec file?
Colytic
level4
level4

Postby Colytic » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:37 pm

Deadcows wrote:Im not too sure but didnt Doc figure out how to get ip from rec file?

Only AKE servers release IPs in *.drecs, which to be honest I am glad about for the sake of people's privacy.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:39 pm

The keyID was not from steam and has been used since February.
I am not totally sure about banning the usage of exploits, but sure in this is case it has been a massive advantage.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:56 am

trickser wrote:The keyID was not from steam and has been used since February.
I am not totally sure about banning the usage of exploits, but sure in this is case it has been a massive advantage.

Coulda sworn that was a Steam ID.

I'm not in favor of banning for any and all exploit. For example, space bombers. sometimes it happens on accident. No need to ban immediately for a mistake.
Colytic
level4
level4

Postby Colytic » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:58 am

Here I would ban without remorse. It was a very low attempt to cheat, clear as day.

Controversial suggestion: is tracing AA fire an exploit?

*fruitful debate ensues*

Colytic
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:32 am

Colytic wrote:Here I would ban without remorse. It was a very low attempt to cheat, clear as day.

Controversial suggestion: is tracing AA fire an exploit?

*fruitful debate ensues*

Colytic

Oh, yeah, in this case, no remorse. I rarely feel remorse to begin with. And even then, it's only ever after a few grams of coke.
Dirk Diggler
level1
level1

Postby Dirk Diggler » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:35 am

trickser wrote:The keyID was not from steam and has been used since February.

purposeful usage of exploits is cheating. plain and simple. cheaters should be banned.

what we need is strong administration to stamp cheating out. the powers that be seem to have a real laissez faire attitude to cheating which is really disappointing. cheating must be kept to a detectable minimum. it should be standard practice to ban cheaters.

As a genuine player I feel totally let down by the current status quo.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:40 am

Dirk Diggler wrote:purposeful usage of exploits is cheating. plain and simple. cheaters should be banned.

what we need is strong administration to stamp cheating out. the powers that be seem to have a real laissez faire attitude to cheating which is really disappointing. cheating must be kept to a detectable minimum. it should be standard practice to ban cheaters.

As a genuine player I feel totally let down by the current status quo.

100 Percent Agree :!:
-SH
The_Doctor
level3
level3

Postby The_Doctor » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:14 am

Look to the top right corner. 23629 new people have access to the source code.
How many of them will find exploits?
Dirk Diggler
level1
level1

Postby Dirk Diggler » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:04 am

The_Doctor wrote:Look to the top right corner. 23629 new people have access to the source code.
How many of them will find exploits?

does that mean they'll be able to go back in time to adjust their tactics to our play....

:wink:

Return to “General”