IT'S FINALLY HERE - DOC 50 percent DIPLO

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:47 pm

The_Doctor I just quick wrote up the server Config file and sent it to Laika so we can have a 50% Diplomacy. :D
-SH
The_Doctor
level3
level3

Postby The_Doctor » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:30 pm

Sicilian Hound wrote:
The_Doctor wrote:
Colytic wrote:
The_Doctor wrote:After testing with 3 players, 2 noobs dc in the first minute.
Do you think i should make this a 1v1 or 2v2?

:( it won't be nearly as interesting then.

After further testing, i was having issues with the server vanishing and reappearing.
It has something to do with the fact that 50 percent cannot be set unless in custom.
But you cannot be custom and diplo at the same time.
The server worked but kept going away for some reason.
I changed it to default free for all starts at 2 players and you can change teams, give radar etc.

I can make the server configs for your server doctor, and send it to dogs. Ok?

Actually
The server behaves quite well now
Also we had some fun default games
We allied, we bashed.

Server is ok now.

BUT

If you can make a 50 percent diplo that is stable.
Then you have my thanks.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:24 pm

Well you really should thank Endless. He sent me a Config File long ago... I edited to my likings and added the 50% WorldScale. But it has been sent to dogs, and I sent you a copy.
-SH
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:06 pm

The_Doctor wrote:After further testing, i was having issues with the server vanishing and reappearing.

I think it's the same defcon-key used on more than one server at a time, a symptom I observed with duplicate keys.
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:30 pm

The_Doctor wrote:After further testing, i was having issues with the server vanishing and reappearing.

Trickster is correct, problem though is not with config but with several screens running same loop. I'm gonna write a simple manual for screen in pm.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:44 pm

However, Java is written with the fundamental assumption the programmer is incompetent - a self-fulfilling prophecy that will sadly always remain so as long as we teach our children that a 'string' is a fundamental type and to respect 'garbage collection'.

Just take a look at JavaScript - very different from Java, but still riddled with inefficiency. Simple things that are just good practice are forsaken entirely.

We see the dramatic difference in daily life. I once asked a Java programmer to explain how the machine knew the length of his variable. He looked blankly at me, and then mumbled something about a class. This is what we've created, and it needs to end. For a better future. For better software.

Washington Irving
The_Doctor
level3
level3

Postby The_Doctor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:28 am

Colytic wrote:However, Java is written with the fundamental assumption the programmer is incompetent - a self-fulfilling prophecy that will sadly always remain so as long as we teach our children that a 'string' is a fundamental type and to respect 'garbage collection'.

Just take a look at JavaScript - very different from Java, but still riddled with inefficiency. Simple things that are just good practice are forsaken entirely.

We see the dramatic difference in daily life. I once asked a Java programmer to explain how the machine knew the length of his variable. He looked blankly at me, and then mumbled something about a class. This is what we've created, and it needs to end. For a better future. For better software.

Washington Irving

I just use the jvm, personally i prefer Scala.
Side-note about garbage collection: it's impossible. There's just too much c++ code out there to collect all of it.
Last edited by The_Doctor on Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Doctor
level3
level3

Postby The_Doctor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:59 am

Laika_rus wrote:

Trickster is correct, problem though is not with config but with several screens running same loop. I'm gonna write a simple manual for screen in pm.

Yeah. 10x a lot.
I was running 5 instances of the screen executable. Each instance had like a few windows ...
That's why i got into coding. I write this kind of crap. Then, others suffer to use it.

From now on i will only re-attach the previous screen and not open new ones.
VSj
level2
level2

Postby VSj » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:35 am

Colytic wrote:However, Java is written with the fundamental assumption the programmer is incompetent - a self-fulfilling prophecy that will sadly always remain so as long as we teach our children that a 'string' is a fundamental type and to respect 'garbage collection'.

I can somewhat agree on that first paragraph. :)
The_Doctor
level3
level3

Postby The_Doctor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:35 am

VSj wrote:

I can somewhat agree on that first paragraph. :)

n00bs all :)

I spend 50 percent of my time thinking how can i make my code even more clear, more documented, more well formatted, more tested, more efficient.
C++ programmers spend that same 50 percent of the time running 15 instances of c++ lint trying to find one dangling pointer they missed in the other
150 futile hours of squashing pointer bugs.

'In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.'

versus

'In the beginning God created lint so he doesn't fuck up when creating the heavens and the earth. What if he fucks up your pointer and instead of heaven sends you strait to hell?

At any rate this is a defcon forum not stack overflow. Let's end this here pls.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:46 am

I was just kidding :lol: The anecdote about the Java programmer and string length was completely fabricated.

But there are some grains of truth in there!
The_Doctor
level3
level3

Postby The_Doctor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:09 am

Colytic wrote:I was just kidding :lol: The anecdote about the Java programmer and string length was completely fabricated.

But there are some grains of truth in there!

:) I know buddy.

Generally if I have to write an os, drivers, low level stuff like dedcon, pc game etc - no choice but c++
But outside of that you have other options and they come with advantages and disadvantages.
You pick and chose what you like best.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:38 am

The_Doctor wrote:Generally if I have to write an os, drivers, low level stuff like dedcon, pc game etc - no choice but c++
But outside of that you have other options and they come with advantages and disadvantages.
You pick and chose what you like best.

That's well-said!
The_Doctor
level3
level3

Postby The_Doctor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Colytic wrote:
The_Doctor wrote:After testing with 3 players, 2 noobs dc in the first minute.
Do you think i should make this a 1v1 or 2v2?

:( it won't be nearly as interesting then.

It's up again as diplo. 10x for all the help to previous server tinkerers.

Return to “General”