I am a cheater

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Re: One of the best

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:04 am

Deputy wrote:I don't think so. I have many games that are single/multiplayer. I do single player on ALL of them. Only exception would be a game that is strictly multiplayer. And the only one I own like that is Magic the Gathering Online. And I rarely play it. I'm just not a people person. Plus I am an old geezer so I don't really fit in with the multi-crowd in this game. :wink:

You should try it, tis fun!
Deputy
level1
level1

Re: One of the best

Postby Deputy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:14 pm

Sicilian Hound wrote:
Deputy wrote:I don't think so. I have many games that are single/multiplayer. I do single player on ALL of them. Only exception would be a game that is strictly multiplayer. And the only one I own like that is Magic the Gathering Online. And I rarely play it. I'm just not a people person. Plus I am an old geezer so I don't really fit in with the multi-crowd in this game. :wink:

You should try it, tis fun!

No thanks. I have heard enough about noob criticism and cheating accusations to last a lifetime. Life's too short to put up with that silly stuff.
Noryb
level2
level2

Re: I am a cheater

Postby Noryb » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:48 am

Deputy wrote:I play ONLY against the AI so I never have to worry about the cheat thing. People keep telling me "you don't know what you are missing". Yeah well, I don't need to know. I enjoy the heck out of the game without ever making human contact. And I don't miss it at all. :D

As far the human contact goes, there's almost no need to communicate with your opponent(s) ingame. Stick to 1v1 and you don't need to talk at all. I just mute people if it's too much chatter/trash talk. Discussing the game as a spectator though will give you a better understanding of how deep this game goes. I think both aspects are fun, but you can just stick with the former if you really think the people here are awful. Hell, it's a fair assessment a lot of the time!

You'll get sick of smashing the cpu and grinning at the megadeath notifications eventually. Probably soon. Keep in mind a few things when/if you venture into competitive defcon. There's a steep learning curve to real games and sometimes a glacial pace. A high-level game is generally an hour and half. They can take well over 2 hours. It'll be hard to adapt after spending a lot of time with the cpu. If you do make the leap I highly recommend spectating a few games between great players. Watching recs also works, if you really want to avoid people. It's a good antidote to the horrible examples you're going to see from the cpu.

This Laika thing was a huge scandal and really sad, but I don't think it's very common nor do I think it will become common. Pub games just aren't worth it. If a major tourney gets off the ground again we may need to discuss countermeasures, but for the moment I'm not concerned about it.
Zorotama
level5
level5

Postby Zorotama » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:48 am

quote="Noryb" ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Clever words.. :!:
Zorotama
level5
level5

Postby Zorotama » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:27 pm

I hope you will change idea. Defcon is a game not a simulation..and you can discover a funny way for your ludic time. Anyway defcon alone is not defcon.
Deputy
level1
level1

Postby Deputy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:31 pm

Zorotama wrote:I hope you will change idea. Defcon is a game not a simulation..and you can discover a funny way for your ludic time. Anyway defcon alone is not defcon.

I don't understand your comment "Defcon is a game not a simulation". It sure looks like a simulation of global nuclear warfare me. I consider "games" as being 1st person shooters or arcade stuff like Grand Theft Auto. I don't play "games". :wink:

Also what do you mean with "defcon alone is not defcon." Are you saying mods are mandatory? If that is what you are saying, I agree. [Edit:Mod created by banned user] does a LOT to improve the SIM. :D

Dep
Zorotama
level5
level5

Postby Zorotama » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:30 am

Defcon is a game simply because is a game and nothing in defcon can confuse you about it. And Defcon alone is not Defcon cause playing with or versus humans is totally different. But you can try it instead of talk..
The_Doctor
level3
level3

Postby The_Doctor » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:53 am

Deputy i feel you are my soul noob.
I will explain.

Initially when i started with defcon i played for a few months against the cpu (pirate game) (maybe 2 months). Then i moved to deterrence:
- mirvs, anti ship kinetic attack, satelites with emp - - - - OMG right?

But then I got bored and decided buy the game and to move to real people.
To my surprise, real people can play starting from 20x times better than the cpu (at least the people i initially met - Sobieski, Sicilian).
I played diplomacy for a few months (2 or so). But then i met this guy called Kudayta in a 1v1 spectator match.
He told me that there are people much better beyond those who play diplomacy. Had my first baton beating that day (baton is a player i made a play on words here).
He still kicks my ass every time but i managed to get significantly better and i actually beat him once when i got lucky.

What i'm trying to say is i think you will go down the same path.
At least I hope you get bored from cpu and move to real ppl in a few months.
Then the game will turn into a competitive sport and you will love every moment of it.
Especially when you get better and start beating noobs like nothing.

PRO tip : noob tears can be collected and are the key ingredient in most spells in defcon
Deputy
level1
level1

Postby Deputy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Deputy wrote:
Zorotama wrote:I hope you will change idea. Defcon is a game not a simulation..and you can discover a funny way for your ludic time. Anyway defcon alone is not defcon.

I don't understand your comment "Defcon is a game not a simulation". It sure looks like a simulation of global nuclear warfare me. I consider "games" as being 1st person shooters or arcade stuff like Grand Theft Auto. I don't play "games". :wink:

Also what do you mean with "defcon alone is not defcon." Are you saying mods are mandatory? If that is what you are saying, I agree. [Edit:Mod created by unjustly banned user] does a LOT to improve the SIM. :D

Dep

Doc: It may or may not happen that I go the way you did. Right now, I am 100% content to experiment with various mods to see what they add to the sim. You know the one I like the best :wink: The "mod that shall remain unspoken" is really a blast. When thos MIRVs start splitting off you gotta make sure thery don't turn on you and bite you in the butt. Sometime it takes some really fast clicking to prevent that. I really don't use the Doomsday or EMP options. Everything ends too quickly.
One question...can I incorporate multiple mods in the game? I would like to get Australia into the battle but it will mean activating two mods.
I may watch some multi-play games just to see what's going on. :)
Last edited by Deputy on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:16 pm

Deputy wrote:Edit:Mod created by unjustly banned user

Don't worry. He had it coming. Sorry if Kudayta was a bit overbearing, no one holds it against you that you like the mod (haven't tried it myself though) :)

Colytic
Deputy
level1
level1

Postby Deputy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:23 pm

Colytic wrote:
Deputy wrote:Edit:Mod created by unjustly banned user

Don't worry. He had it coming. Sorry if Kudayta was a bit overbearing, no one holds it against you that you like the mod (haven't tried it myself though) :)

Colytic

Whether he had it coming or not, I dunno. I wasn't here and the details seem to get mixed up with personal feelings of revenge and hatred of the mod. The charge of "cheating" seems to get thrown around more here than in any other sim I have seen. Seems like any time someone loses, he whips out the "cheater" charge. That shows me that there are a lot of immature kids playing the sim. That's what's nice about playing against the AI, you never have to hear the whining, crybaby "you cheated" accusation. :D
I REALLY like the mod. If you want something that is close to the movie and real life, it really fills the bill.
BTW...I am probably the oldest geezer playing this. I am 64. :)
Ghost Division
level2
level2

Postby Ghost Division » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:57 pm

If u keep playing with cpu, u will never have a "real" game ;-)
Deputy
level1
level1

Postby Deputy » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:38 pm

Ghost Division wrote:If u keep playing with cpu, u will never have a "real" game ;-)

But I will never hear the "you cheated" charge either. That alone makes it worth it. You guys need to furgetabout me and move on. Nothing you say is gonna change my opinions. :)
Zorotama
level5
level5

Postby Zorotama » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Bye.
Dantesinferno
level3
level3

Postby Dantesinferno » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:33 pm

BTW...I am probably the oldest geezer playing this. I am 64

yes you win - i think ATOMIC ORACLE is nearly 60 and i'm only 51...

Return to “General”