General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

The_Doctor
level3
level3

DOCTORS NOOB TIPS NR.2 Absolute basics of naval nuking

Postby The_Doctor » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:55 am

Hello,

This will describe the most basic things you need to know about naval nuking.

Disclaimers:
- The search function on forums that use (what looks like phpbb) kinda sucks and i cannot find a similar post.
- This is a tip by noob for noobs i am in no way good a this.
- This describes the technical part not the strategic part of naval nuking.

step1. Launch bombers. Your bombers are by default in naval attacking mode. This means that when an enemy ship is in radar and in combat range they will launch conventional warheads at them.

step2. Right click on the bomber and select slmb launch mode. This will put your bomber in nuke mode.

recurring step 3. Use right click to move around. This is the most important thing. If you are accustom to using left click to move around change that habit now. The reason is this: when you left click in nuke mode,
you actually issue an order to the bomber to launch once it's in range and the nuke is ready. Now unfortunately you cannot change that order unless your left click target was far away and your bomber is not in range or you
put the bomber into naval mode and then back into nuke mode (but that takes time).

step4. when you see a target, you are in range and the nuke is ready, left click to launch. Dont left click on the ship itself, that will actually put the bomber into naval mode again. Instead, click on the sea where you think the ship will
be. To click very close to the ship, zoom in as much as possible and use the targeting cursor to click as close as possible (the cursor will change when the order would be a naval attack). A good tip here is this: nukes move about 3 times faster than ships. Also, the damage area of a nuke is about the size of the targeting cursor at max zoom in.

Again this is for people that actually have no idea how to put bombers into nuke mode or have tried and used left click to move around ending up nuking themselves. I'm sure that pros can talk for hours about when and how to use this tactic, how to find ships, how to guard against nukes from enemies etc. so I won't even try cause I have no clue :).

Next up: basics of silo sync.
Zorotama
level5
level5

Postby Zorotama » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:24 am

..maybe better in Strategic air command section of the forum :wink:
The_Doctor
level3
level3

10x

Postby The_Doctor » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:45 am

Yeah, valid point. Can it be changed after the fact?

I am getting forum noob bashed :).
Colytic
level4
level4

Postby Colytic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:12 pm

The_Doctor wrote:Also, the damage area of a nuke is about the size of the targeting cursor at max zoom in.

Thanks, didn't know that.

Might I also add: keep a few bombers in the air on SRBM launch mode just flying about after Defcon 1 (although a good player will have spread their fleet out by then).
The_Doctor
level3
level3

Postby The_Doctor » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:15 pm

Now that i think about it the size of the cursor scales with the zoom so it's about the size of the cursor at any zoom.
- Tobias -
level3
level3

Postby - Tobias - » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:14 am

Zorotama wrote:..maybe better in Strategic air command section of the forum :wink:

Prolly, but it's good material nonetheless. I always enjoy new perspectives; and each, in it's own way, helps me to clarify my own.
Laika
level5
level5

Postby Laika » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:36 am

Well said, Tobias.
The_Doctor
level3
level3

Noob bashing

Postby The_Doctor » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:56 am

Well this is just forum noob bashing. I prefer defcon noob bashing. I am up for 1v1 against anybody that wants to bash me.
Lord_Haw_Haw
level3
level3

Postby Lord_Haw_Haw » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:18 am

Just adding my two cents to this chat......there was a time when I considered Sea Nukes as Un-Gentlemen like,I thought I could win with air to sea and ship to ship fire on targets. Now sea nukes and air to air nukes are a part of my tactical doctrine as well as the counter-measures to stop or slow down a player using sea nukes and air to air nukes on me. I strongly urge all new players too add sea nukes and air to air nukes to their game play. It may be hard to learn,but if used in the right setting could prove deadly to your defcon enemy.

LHH
The_Doctor
level3
level3

Postby The_Doctor » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:26 am

Thank you LHH. I was using sea nuking even when i was cartwheeling and fighting against the cpu.
Though to be fair those were silo nukes and they never hit (cpu dodges). Such a noob :)
X9
level0

Re: DOCTORS NOOB TIPS NR.2 Absolute basics of naval nuking

Postby X9 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:45 pm

Thanks, did not know this:
The_Doctor wrote:A good tip here is this: nukes move about 3 times faster than ships. Also, the damage area of a nuke is about the size of the targeting cursor at max zoom in.
:D

Return to “General”