Vote: personal insults in game chat - is it ok ?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

stereocrash
level1
level1

To Clarify

Postby stereocrash » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:27 am

Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:16 pm Post subject: To Clarify
- I did this once and the game was already a miserable ruin by then.
- 4 others pounding insults in large amounts is akin to spamming and actually was so bad I noticed it started to slow the game, that is where I got the idea.
- I don't mind if others want to go 4v1 or 5v1 - I'll take it but let's just play!
- They made the game miserable for the player who left and at first for myself. They spoofed names (don't think I mentioned that) and it eventually became clear that the only goal was to get me to quit. So having invested that much time so far I figured I'd turn tables. I could not induce the timer so I chose other means and eventually they all RQ'd.

Not my idea of a good game but nor do I find ruining a game on purpose, taunting, insulting folks, spoofing names and having fun doing so. All I did was make it not so fun for those who had already made it no fun at all. Of course if I pulled that kinda spam buffer move in a normal game with the best of friends I would not have many left. I am not encouraging anyone to use such tactics, I just wanted to play a game that night and decided I was not going to quit for a bunch of assholes. It was very playground stuff all in all - but maybe they will think twice next time; or better yet maybe they will just come on in and play!

I was using this antic-dote in response to Drs. list of proposed rules. Every rule conceivable has an exception and the more you have the less they are valued.

An Admin kicking someone for a commonly understood no no is the current standard and I support that. Banning someone is nearly impossible sans one method I can think of but that probably belongs in a tech forum.

lacrosse1991 wrote:I don't mind insults, would have to guess that it depends largely on the context, you can call one person a flaming faggot and they could not care at all, whereas if you call someone who is gay the same thing, they could become enraged and take it as a personal insult. Pretty much your own fault if you take an insult personally, best to either ignore the insults or avoid egging the insulter on.

Not related to insults, but I think enough instances of intentional spamming should be a bannable offense (looking at you mr XB-70, though many others do it as well). Doing it once or twice (whether intentional or by accident) is not a big deal, but if your going to get butt hurt and try to ruin the game by spamming, then you should not be able to play on the server anymore. (typing a period over and over again in chat can get incredibly annoying, same goes for saying fuck repeatedly, etc)
Only the dead have seen the end of war . . .

-Plato
stereocrash
level1
level1

Postby stereocrash » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:45 am

I agree with you with some exception to your second statement. It is possible to become upset in the right context. The 'yo mamma' factor just for example. If person A were to type something rather rancid about person B's Mother who is happens to be deceased, person B will likely be rather upset. Person A would likely not have said such if they had prior knowledge.

It is best to treat folks as you would if they were in the same room with you.

Insults are generally only annoying and means your insulter is not watching the game, ignore them and play. For every insulting keystroke that gives you time to make an extra move.

roflamingo wrote:
Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Real men wouldn't get upset over some words on a screen.

Last time I checked, censorship is far more evil than a few taunts on a computer screen.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:56 am

Have A Great Day ROFL.
-SH
roflamingo
level3
level3

Postby roflamingo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:15 am

Sicilian Hound wrote:Have A Great Day ROFL.

Thanks. Every day I'm alive, I'm 100% certain I am having a better day than you.
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:41 am

roflamingo wrote:
Sicilian Hound wrote:Have A Great Day ROFL.

Thanks. Every day I'm alive, I'm 100% certain I am having a better day than you.

Is that ban-able? Or was that really witty. I choose the latter.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:41 am

Have A Great Day Endless & Rofl.
-SH
roflamingo
level3
level3

Postby roflamingo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:45 am

Sicilian Hound wrote:Have A Great Day Endless & Rofl.

Every day is a great day for ROFL. Perhaps one day you can experience a life 1% as interesting and fulfilling as mine.

I doubt it though.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:48 am

Have A Great Day ROFL.
-SH
Dirk Diggler
level1
level1

Postby Dirk Diggler » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:59 am

sticks and stones.....

is this really the place where we want to get into endless "he said this", "he meant this", "he hurt my feelings" blah blah? what a total waste of time and effort.

there's always /ignore..... or you could just take it on the chin and move on. We're all grown ups no?
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:08 am

Dirk Diggler wrote:sticks and stones.....

is this really the place where we want to get into endless "he said this", "he meant this", "he hurt my feelings" blah blah? what a total waste of time and effort.

there's always /ignore..... or you could just take it on the chin and move on. We're all grown ups no?

Yea I try to ignore them but, like I said they just know how to push the right buttons so what I been doing is just say Have A Great Day, ignore the bitches.
-SH
lacrosse1991
level1
level1

Re: To Clarify

Postby lacrosse1991 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:16 am

Agreed with the ban part, though if you ban the key, it is nice to have the satisfaction that the player will have to waste money on a new key if they want to get back on the specific server lol (if they do not acquire it through other means)

stereocrash wrote:Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:16 pm Post subject: To Clarify

An Admin kicking someone for a commonly understood no no is the current standard and I support that. Banning someone is nearly impossible sans one method I can think of but that probably belongs in a tech forum.

stereocrash
level1
level1

Re: To Clarify

Postby stereocrash » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:24 am

The key ban though effective can end up banning the wrong person in a spoof situation. Banning IP is temporarily effective but in the case of a hot spot which is most IPs the innocent can be punished. I was thinking of something else entirely.

But yeah, become enough of a pest and an Admin is totally justified to ban you from their server. The idea of a pecuniary penalty is nice yet even the key ban depending on server config is not always permanent for reasons I will not get into.

lacrosse1991 wrote:Agreed with the ban part, though if you ban the key, it is nice to have the satisfaction that the player will have to waste money on a new key if they want to get back on the specific server lol (if they do not acquire it through other means)

stereocrash wrote:Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:16 pm Post subject: To Clarify

Only the dead have seen the end of war . . .

-Plato
- Tobias -
level3
level3

Postby - Tobias - » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:14 pm

We are talking about "game chat" leading to a ban from a game server, yes? It is to this scenario that I respond.

"Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

I am currently unable to review game files, etc., so I am speak here only in generalities.

While admittedly there is often a correlation: Actions, I believe, may be bannable; words, never.

- Words, no matter how pejorative, should always be considered primarily as a reflection of the speaker.
- Those with thin-skins or sensitive tastes may always use the simple /ignore command.

Actions demanding "zero tolerance" seem few (e.g., nuking your ally); otherwise it is the repetition of bad actions that requires attention.

All behaviors, both actions and words, can be sorted out in the forum. Total assholes sometimes flash upon the scene, and then disappear. Behavior of long-term players (those that matter) is sufficiently moderated by the approbation/disapprobation of the forums; where, thanks to our natural gift of reason, we all, eventually, find a way to accomplish our own objectives without trampling upon the rights of others who seek to achieve theirs.

As a matter of discipline, it might be worthwhile to have the various "guest admins" of various servers justify, either before or after the fact, their rationale for banning someone from a game server. Server owners, of course, can always do as they wish.

Moderation of the forum is an entirely different matter, and not the subject of my response.
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:57 pm

- Tobias - wrote:We are talking about "game chat" leading to a ban from a game server, yes? It is to this scenario that I respond.

"Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

I am currently unable to review game files, etc., so I am speak here only in generalities.

While admittedly there is often a correlation: Actions, I believe, may be bannable; words, never.

- Words, no matter how pejorative, should always be considered primarily as a reflection of the speaker.
- Those with thin-skins or sensitive tastes may always use the simple /ignore command.

Actions demanding "zero tolerance" seem few (e.g., nuking your ally); otherwise it is the repetition of bad actions that requires attention.

All behaviors, both actions and words, can be sorted out in the forum. Total assholes sometimes flash upon the scene, and then disappear. Behavior of long-term players (those that matter) is sufficiently moderated by the approbation/disapprobation of the forums; where, thanks to our natural gift of reason, we all, eventually, find a way to accomplish our own objectives without trampling upon the rights of others who seek to achieve theirs.

As a matter of discipline, it might be worthwhile to have the various "guest admins" of various servers justify, either before or after the fact, their rationale for banning someone from a game server. Server owners, of course, can always do as they wish.

Moderation of the forum is an entirely different matter, and not the subject of my response.

For once Tobias, I completely agree with you.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:31 pm

I would like to know why I am still banned, Atomic Orical was banned in the same game I was in for the same reason and he is already un banned. So why am I still banned? Also if ROFL and Endless are all for "free speech" Then why did you even care that I said "(snip)" You said yourself Endless don't take anything personal and stop getting butthurt. Get me un banned because like I said Atomic Orical was banned for the same thing as me and he is un banned, so why am I not? If I am banned still because of what I said, then you are A HYPERCRITICAL BULLSHITTER ENDLESS!!!!
-SH

Return to “General”