Vote: personal insults in game chat - is it ok ?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Laika
level5
level5

Vote: personal insults in game chat - is it ok ?

Postby Laika » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:52 pm

One of players recently was banned for allegedly saying: "go f--- yourself your life and everything about you." towards mod.

Setting this as example case, is game chat a place for totally free speech ? Or some personal insults must be punished by admins ? Here is a couple of similiar discussions:

New insults please
Free Speech
The_Doctor
level3
level3

It should be like on tv after hours

Postby The_Doctor » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:29 pm

I will summarize my opinion

RESPONSE TO VOTE: No, personal insult should not be allowed. But please read my ideas about what should and should not be bannable.

SHOULD BE BANNABLE

- intended racism (n word and such)
- intended hate speech related to old forgotten wars (ex: you are from x therefore you are a nazy, you are from y therefore you are a commie)
- deep personal insults (eg: your mother is so retarded ....)
- attempting to get someone banned - this actually happened to me but i let it slide - someone kept trying to convince endless that i rage quit when actually i never do
- forever ban for attacking know personal defects or medical problems (i know some color blind players who struggle with that horrible blue more than I)
- attacking an ally in 2v2 / 3v3 after alliance has been made and solidified (i dont know if some servers allow alliance after d3). 2v2 and 3v3 are sacred this is blasphemy :D
the most i could accept here would be one joke nuke or so, not impacting the game or the end score much - that is clean fun and if both allies agree then it's ok.
- SLOW RAGING - this is the most horrible thing ever. If a player can be proven that he/she slows on non-budget servers for no reason at all then he/she should get the ban hammer
- any admin should be forever banned if he/she banned someone else for winning against him/her. Victories in this game are rewarded with loot and glory, not ban :)
- faking names except names that are popular (no secondary names included). ex: if i changed my name to space dog and lost to a complete noob then everybody would think that
he can lose to a complete noob. Names are our identity. But a name like USA is so popular that it's wrong for someone to be 'the first to use that name' :). But if i changed my name to
whisper of an nameless fear then that would not be a problem, since that name is secondary and rarely used by baton.
- cheating of any kind - radar range, grid, ring mods not included - actually any soft mods not included - i would be even more dead in 1v1 without that damn radar mod.
- refusing to help TheDoctor change his color from the blue to anything else (JK)

SHOULD NOT BE BANNABLE
- cursing at the game situation, using any curse word (i f --- screewed up my launch, i can't scout his f---- silos etc)
- cursing at each other - simple f u / b m - nothing deep or personal - just blowing steam
- calling someone a noob - the defcon population is like 6 or 10 pros, and a hundred or so noobs (from what i've seen). Noob is the majority (NOOB POWER !!!). I personally use noob as a replacement for nicknames. :D
- whiteboard drawings of anything except drawable items in bannable list
- drawing with nukes - this spells the ultimate defeat - you beat you opponent with nukes to spare and you draw ahem ... something near his coastline - total shame - should be allowed
- accidental moving of ships through land, and when you dont know about something that is considered a cheat - dead cows yelled at me for having 2 bombers in the dark area above the map - i learned about 'space bombing' but i didnt know about it until then.
- INFINITE BOR - defcon requires patience

I will write some more if i get more ideas.

* this message has been edited and approved by baton :}
Last edited by The_Doctor on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baton101
level4
level4

Postby Baton101 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:27 am

its infact "whisper of a nameless fear"...typed endless by accident probably

Doctore speaks correctly...

but

I like using colorful insults like danish whore(r3d), french coward(yellow), english imperialist(Jon), as for laika sometimes i call him atheist bastard since he is a "commie" :), i call zorotama italian fashist, cows estonian fashist, cza voleyball pussy :), infidel(MOR)...and so on :D
R3D
level3
level3

Re: It should be like on tv after hours

Postby R3D » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:30 am

NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER FAG FAG FAG NAZI NAZI NAZI CUMMI CUMMI CUMMI your mother is so retarded your mother is so retarded your mother is so retarded
stereocrash
level1
level1

Wow What a List

Postby stereocrash » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:10 am

Wow Doc you have quite a list of possible rules there, yet a great list to get the discussion ball rolling. I'll just comment on a short few points:

Slow Raging - If you wait an hour to play a game of diplo or 3V3 and turns out you are punked by 4 of 5 players who planned this pre-emptively who have essentially ruined the game and are all focusing on you filling the chat buffer with personal insults and great tapestries of the profane what is a player to do. Outside of a power outage or other situation I do not leave a game, so once all my units have been killed off - if I quit is that a rage quit? What if I do not want to quit? Then I fight back with whatever I have which may be making the game more miserable for them than myself. I ran into just such a situation not that long ago with I can only suspect so I will not accuse but I was not going to rage quit. So what did I do:

1) Did not respond to rash of insults, just stayed silent and let them keep coming (yes you can ignore on most servers but I wanted it recorded)
2) Throttled the game speed keeping randomly keeping it on 1x much of the time (especially when they complained about it)
3) Filled the chat buffer with a series of periods one at a time as fast as it would permit (since the buffer has to create a node for each entry it can really back things up)

Result: I broke one or more of your proposed rules yet I never quit but they all did! So they rage quit and were really annoyed, I was rather amused. Was I justified?

So how do we define behavior as being 'bad enough for banishment' ? (which there is no certain way to enforce)

What I typically thought was a good rule of thumb was a repeated pattern of anything that effects the fun factor or playability of the game including personal harassment (racist remarks, ceaseless personal attacks etc.)

Yet in my example above I certainly impacted the fun factor for some and raised it for me (only once to date and I am careful to avoid getting in to such games but I would do it again in the same situation). I took a 10 megatons of horrid insults but did not insult back.

- see how my example clouds the waters?

In general though I am very much for total free speech and let the community police itself and it does a pretty good job of it in my opinion. For every rule there will always be an exception but the one tasked to enforce said rule may not see it. So there is a danger of authority (which is a limited resource) losing its credibility.

Also explicitly informing folks they cannot curse in DEFCON is like telling a bus of second graders don't stick your arms out the window. Most of them will be doing it before you finish telling them. So I would not attempt that in any way.

-XB
Only the dead have seen the end of war . . .

-Plato
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:24 am

If this is the case, ROFL, Endless, TGR, Kanga and several others should be banned, I bet you I can find 5 recordings of each of them and find several players who they abused. If you seriously going to take this to public you got some issues cause we all know what they do. Yes I lose my temper and I say things but they are sometimes worse. They will probably attack me for this and try to twist my words but I stand my ground, even if it takes me a month to watch 50 recordings and gather all the players I WILL.
-SH
lacrosse1991
level1
level1

Postby lacrosse1991 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:32 am

I don't mind insults, would have to guess that it depends largely on the context, you can call one person a flaming faggot and they could not care at all, whereas if you call someone who is gay the same thing, they could become enraged and take it as a personal insult. Pretty much your own fault if you take an insult personally, best to either ignore the insults or avoid egging the insulter on.
Last edited by lacrosse1991 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:34 am

Sicilian Hound wrote:If this is the case, ROFL, Endless, TGR, Kanga and several others should be banned, I bet you I can find 5 recordings of each of them and find several players who they abused. If you seriously going to take this to public you got some issues cause we all know what they do. Yes I lose my temper and I say things but they are sometimes worse. They will probably attack me for this and try to twist my words but I stand my ground, even if it takes me a month to watch 50 recordings and gather all the players I WILL.

I cant wait for you to find something of me saying something that abused you, instead of you getting all butthurt like Haw Haw does.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:35 am

Have A Great Day Endless.
-SH
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:37 am

Sicilian Hound wrote:Have A Great Day Endless.

Butt hurt.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:37 am

-SH
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:39 am

Sicilian Hound wrote:You started something that you are going to regret.

-Have A Great Day Endless

Let's go.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:39 am

-SH
Zorotama
level5
level5

Postby Zorotama » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:53 am

Baton101 wrote:i call zorotama italian fashist

I'm a bolscevik, ugly idiot ustascia..
roflamingo
level3
level3

Postby roflamingo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:08 am

Sicilian Hound wrote:If this is the case, ROFL, Endless, TGR, Kanga and several others should be banned, I bet you I can find 5 recordings of each of them and find several players who they abused. If you seriously going to take this to public you got some issues cause we all know what they do. Yes I lose my temper and I say things but they are sometimes worse. They will probably attack me for this and try to twist my words but I stand my ground, even if it takes me a month to watch 50 recordings and gather all the players I WILL.

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Real men wouldn't get upset over some words on a screen.

Last time I checked, censorship is far more evil than a few taunts on a computer screen.

Return to “General”