Quake servers

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:38 pm

There is something broken on arcghost.de. No recording newer then Aug. 9th.
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:15 pm

True, thanks. Will fix till monday, along with returning admins.
Zorotama
level5
level5

Re: Quake servers

Postby Zorotama » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:58 am

Laika, what you think about to stick the SFCON thread?
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:02 pm

I asked Senator same question right before I sticked Quake. If he changed his mind since then, I'll gladly do so.
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:38 am

Sent out admin passwords. Bans are permanent since I am short on time to work out proper script, hopefully there will be one in future.
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Regarding sticky threads: only admins (guys with red usernames) are able to un/stick, ask one if you need.
VSj
level2
level2

Postby VSj » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:24 pm

The Quake recordings are still out of order?
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:37 pm

Yes. I'll put servers in order when will have more time - I've got loads of paperwork on this and maybe next week.
The_Doctor
level3
level3

Postby The_Doctor » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:42 pm

VSj wrote:The Quake recordings are still out of order?

Love your new avatar.
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:31 pm

Down for short maintenance. edit: prb till monday.
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:39 am

Check out new recording browser made by The Doctor - http://arcghost.de/LiveConPortal/

Maintaing the site required some changes in the way the games are handled, therefore only 5 servers are currently up during 'testing' period. All servers will be reenabled in 1-2 week approximately. All old recordings are saved and will be accessible soon.

On a side note, servers are hosted on new, more powerful hardware. Me and Doctor agreed to pay 50/50 for its rent, also being grateful for his help on the site I've given to The Doctor highest access possible - you may treat him as a second server owner from now on, sharing control rights with me equally.
The_Doctor
level3
level3

Postby The_Doctor » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:49 am

Tanks to Laika for all the support. When others called me noob and bashed me in 1v1 he offered me a free joy ride on his server,
the chance to make 50 percent diplo / 1v1 and gave me the dedcon manual and showed me how to make a dedcon server.

Please feel free to make any constructive criticism on the app though I will no longer have time to make any major changes for a few months (only bug-fixes).
So if you find a bug i will give you 10 noob tears.

This picture shows how to use the site if you don't figure it out. I tried to keep it as easy as possible.
Also about the territory images, they look oddly familiar hmmm .... ;)

FAQ

Q: You stole my images. Hahah you will run out when games that haven't been generated pop up.
A: Nope I stole the base images. I only generate on need then I cache. Honestly I wish I had more time to make some higher quality ones.

Q: Last site was http://arcghost.de. This one is http://arcghost.de/LiveConPortal/. Why?
A: Actually you can go to http://arcghost.de/. It redirects to the portal.

Q: What is LiveCon ?
A: Code name for the project. It's how I named my software. It's a throwback to the server name (dedcon almost sounds like dead con so i called it LiveCon).
Many thanks to Bert for making the server I cannot re-iterate this enough. I wish I had more time to add more things to LiveCon. Maybe in a few months.

Q: What's it made of?
A: It's full of stars (jk, 2001 reference). No it's a long list of things: java virtual machine, java language, SCALA (BEST EVER), mysql, html, css, javascript (quite a lot). It uses the Spring framework (mvc and data), JPA with hibernate, JDBC, Joda time, Apache commons, JUnit (though only time for 1 small test), some personal libraries, jquery, jquery ui, a few jquery plugins.

Q: Is it web 2.0?
A: Yes. You don't refresh it's ajax style.

Q: Is it kewl and fast?
A: Google page speed gives it 92/100 so yes.

Q: Where is the search now button?
A: Automatic on any filter change.

Q: How does it sort games?
A: Automatically by date added.

Q: How does it deal with bad games?
A: It skips them. For some instances there are settings but some bad games (no game start/end, strange contradicting log information etc it skips automatically).

Q: When does my game appear, were is it where !!!! Oh wait here it is.
A: You need to wait a few minutes for 1 server cycle to finish up.

Q: Wait no direct link to recording. You can only hit the button and get the recording. Why no direct link. I can't post in forums etc.
A: No direct link due to what a player told me (name not disclosed) when he left the computer online the whole night and got all sfcon recordings over night to parse them and whatever.
No direct link - no link based site ripping. No headaches. Use file posting sites to post a dcrec download. They are practically everywhere.

Q: When I download the recording it's not archived. Why not archive? I have a bandwidth limit you know!!!
A: It's 100 kilobytes or less. Also, the whole site uses something called a Gzip filter. It enables each request to pass through a filter that archives it with gzip. Then your browser (not internet crap splorer) de-archives it on the fly.

Q: A patch for the app not displaying for me. What's going on?
A: We use heavy caching to make it faster. Try a clear cache in your browser.

Q: It displays wrong on internet explorer {internet explorer version}. It displays wrong on {opera/safari}.
A: I really didn't test it other than on chrome and firefox. If you use internet explorer then I don't care.
Install chrome or firefox. Safari is for apple fags. What is opera I never heard of it? I thought I knew about those things ah well...

Q: I wanna translate this into another language.
A: Great. I want more translations. Please translate this one file (just the parts after the equals sign). The left side is the key and the right side is the value for each line. You only need to translate the value.
I'm waiting for Spanish myself.

error=Error
languages.english=English
languages.russian=Russian
languages.romanian=Romanian
ui.multiselect.non_selected_text=Select options
ui.multiselect.of=of
ui.multiselect.selected=selected
ui.multiselect.checkall=Check all
ui.multiselect.uncheckall=Uncheck all
ui.pagination.firstname=First
ui.pagination.lastname=Last
ui.mask.loading=Loading
pages.search_games.main_title=Livecon
pages.search_games.title_fragment=Search Games
pages.search_games.menu=Search Games
pages.search_games.title=Search games
pages.search_games.subtitle=Automatically displaying latest games on all servers
pages.search_games.active_servers=Active servers
pages.search_games.archive_servers=Archive
pages.search_games.had_player=Had player
pages.search_games.with_territory=With territory
pages.search_games.table.player=Player
pages.search_games.table.territory=Territory
pages.search_games.table.no_data=---
pages.search_games.add_player.name_box_empty=Name is empty
pages.search_games.add_player.max_six_players=A game can have maximum of 6 players
pages.search_games.add_player.player_already_added=Player already added
pages.search_games.add_player.territory_already_added=Territory already added
page.search_games.game_box.player=Player
page.search_games.game_box.territory=Territory
page.search_games.game_box.teams=Teams
page.search_games.game_box.score=Score
page.search_games.game_box.startdate=Start
page.search_games.game_box.enddate=End
page.search_games.game_box.signed=Scores signed
page.search_games.game_box.unsigned=Scores unsigned
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:13 pm

All 19 servers up. Recent humble bundle sale contributed to an excessive amount of servers by giving away keys for $1.
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:06 pm

Doctor fixed a bug with occasionaly absent recordings. Report anything suspicious related to server/site.
Zorotama
level5
level5

Postby Zorotama » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:51 am

Very nice indeed. Thanks guys..I love it.

edit: the only problem is the visualization..too large and broken in the extreme part (I mean that I can't see properly the details of the last matches on the right part of the page). I use firefox..

edit2: If I search a recording with a player X with a territory Y I can find only all the recordings with the territory Y but not with that player..I find recording with that territory but played with many players. And then the servers filter doesn't work with other filters. If I want to search (it's an example) that duel in which Laika used Europe I can't find it checking the 1v1 servers and writing Space Cow (LOL) as players and setting Eu as territory..I would have all the recordings (1v1, 2vs2, 18vs18) with Eu..with laika or not.

The work is not ended but I really like what it shows..

Return to “General”