How to start the game with a saved setup?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Till
level0

How to start the game with a saved setup?

Postby Till » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:05 am

Hi, is it possible to start DEFCON with certain settings (from a settings file?), as player's faction and colour, AI's faction and colour, size of the world, and so on? I don't want to setup my favorite settings manually every time I play the game ...
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:19 am

You can control most of these settings with Dedcon, and put them into a config file. But be warned, settings like you want (territory and color preselection) are rather on the complicated side of possible Dedcon configs. You cannot directly control your own color, it will always be the 1st free color in a fixed set. But you can add CPUs before and after you join and use it to get the color you want.
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:52 am

or you could just manually change your color before the game starts... it's not that hard :?
Till
level0

Postby Till » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:51 pm

It's not just about the color - it's about the AI players' names, the game type and so on ... Other games make that stuff saveable, DEFCON not ... :-(
Laika
level5
level5

Postby Laika » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:12 pm

I've heard stories about Artmoney (google, if interested) saving exact values of variables that make up the program in it's current state - i.e. this theoretically can be used to make saves.. They also said about instability of such a "save". Never tried it myself.

Return to “General”