Moderator: Defcon moderators

Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:36 pm

Dantesinferno
level3
level3

Postby Dantesinferno » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:55 pm

heheh been a while since i saw that nothing wrong with a bit of prejudice.

Lets face it unless your a straight white northern european (not including Slavics and Germans) your not in my tribe and I will always mistrust you and make jokes about your culture i am afraid.
History Freak
level1
level1

Postby History Freak » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:14 pm

cza wrote:
Deadcows wrote:We estonians were slaves for more than twice as long as black people in America and obviously we were dicriminated not only at that time but up to the end of 20th century yet if now someone makes fun of us no one is riding to the rescue of saving us from discrimination. Now think again about what you said Trickster.

Well this is interesting news. Are you equating serfs to slaves, or drawing some poor nationalist analogy? If so, that's bogus.
I'd like to know more about Estonian chattel, with good sources to learn further.

And while there's room to argue over ethnic jokes, nationalist teasing, etc., this form of discrimination does not rise to the level of the institutionalized white supremacy in the United States that lasted long after 1865 (and forms of which still persist). You can tell me the best way to break a Polack's finger is to punch him in the nose, and you might even hurt my feelings, but Polish-Americans as a class are not disproportionately incarcerated, stopped and frisked, stripped of voting rights, or denied access to credit; nor are they opposed by organized hate groups (for the most part; Americans are definitely diverse in their hatred. We contain multitudes). Blacks have been for decades. The Supreme Court didn't strike down bans on interracial marriage until the year my brother was born. Slavery is a critical part of this story and is rightfully recognized, but it's also not the only event fueling antiracism. People don't fight for racial justice as part of some sort of collective guilt for wrongs committed centuries ago.

Also lurking in your defense is the problem of thinking about these issues in terms of contending grievance. Saying, "Hey, my people suffered and no one is helping me! What's everyone bitching about? Discrimination is everywhere!" blurs the different forms oppression takes, naturalizing it as a general human trait. The flip side of this naturalization is to undercut the legitimacy of people trying to redress legacies of racism and structural inequality; it casts their arguments as pleading for special rights, and it lets opponents avoid facing their own privilege. What you should be doing instead is addressing the historically specific forms inequality has taken in Estonia.

Serfdom is the status of peasants under feudalism, specifically relating to manorialism. It was a condition of bondage or modified slavery which developed primarily during the High Middle Ages in Europe and lasted in some countries until the mid-19th century (in this case from 1227 until 1816).
n some ways it was worse to be a serf than a slave. A serf tilled his lord's fields and if their was any time left, he had to till his own. A slave only tilled the master's fields and from these fields a certain allotment went to the slave. Also, a percentage of plantation slaves could attain prestigious in-house positions as nannies, house servants and such. Many serfs, tied to the land as they were, could not expect any other employ than full time crop harvesting, timber felling, fishing his lords streams, mining his lord's mines and hunting game for his lord. However, a serf still carried a level of dignity not afforded to the slave in the Western Hemisphere. He could attend the same church( as a lord and would attend the same religious ceremonies and festivities as better classes. He probably worked harder, but was more dignified. My question is that what does a whole nation of enserfed and illiterate Estonians do with dignity and freedom if the whole region operates in all foreign languages to Estonians from 13th century up to 20th century. I believe Estonia's case of serfdom was as bad or even worse than America's case of slavery mainly because all of their Masters were all foreigners (mainly Baltic Germans, but also Russians, Polish, Danes and Swedes).
R3D
level3
level3

Postby R3D » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:28 pm

Deadcows wrote:
JMS wrote:hence why I said almost... I pray for the day that a black man plays this game :P

Im sure many have. I guess they found it too difficult. :lol: Just Kidding.

i was thinking the same thing cow

there's nothing like a good racist joke (especially the ones that include red hair people)
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:20 pm

L O L, I got a really good racist joke, if you wana hear it let me know (: I am sure you have not heard of it either. lolol
-SH
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:20 pm

R3D wrote:
Deadcows wrote:
JMS wrote:hence why I said almost... I pray for the day that a black man plays this game :P

there's nothing like a good racist joke (especially the ones that include red hair people)

Sicilian Hound wrote:L O L, I got a really good racist joke, if you wana hear it let me know (: I am sure you have not heard of it either. lolol

Okay guys, I am proud of you. You focused on the start and point of the actual discussion and didn't got distracted by all that various chat along the topic. That proves quality of mind.

My point of condemning racism and racist jokes isn't about the victims of racism, but about the careless jokers and repeaters.

Identifying someone of a different race is easy, while it's hard to distinguish between Zach Braff and Dax Shephard
Insulting somebody as stupid is low, not because it's such a bad ass insult, but it's the easiest and most mindless insult ever. Calling somebody stupid is a prove of the callers poverty of imagination much more then it can tell something about the target.

But throwing both together into a joke and laugh at it will make you love the most stupid things on earth. Making others laugh at it will make you guilty in spreading spiritlessness.

Racist jokes are a weapon of mass stupidication. Yes, stupidication!

Well actually it's more like a virus, cause noone controls it.

Another thing about jokes. In german we say something has "witz" ( ein witz - a joke, witzig - funny ) when there was spirit in it, not if we see somebody slipping on a banana. Of course I will laugh about that stupid accident, but I will not spread spiritlessness by doing so.

Maybe you need better words to see that difference.
Slipping on a banana - Gay
Zach Braff daydreaming - Hilarious
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:25 pm

trickser wrote:Slipping on a banana - Gay

Sorry but my comprehension is failing. Is this slur suppoed to be ironic?

Colytic
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:31 pm

gay - the adverb
But i am not native English speaking, so not sure if I hit it the right meaning. But I know what it's used for usually but to filter for the right meaning was assumed to be no unsolvable problem.

Any better word for that?
Last edited by trickser on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:33 pm

trickser wrote:gay - the adverb
But i am not native English speaking, so not sure if I hit it the right meaning. But I know what it's used for usually but to filter for the right meaning was assumed to be no unsolvable problem.

Fair enough then, the other meaning did seem out of context. I just wasn't sure.

Colytic
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:53 pm

trickser wrote:stupidication!

Trickser you always crack me up.
-SH
R3D
level3
level3

Postby R3D » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:27 pm

trickser wrote:
R3D wrote:
Deadcows wrote:

Sicilian Hound wrote:L O L, I got a really good racist joke, if you wana hear it let me know (: I am sure you have not heard of it either. lolol

Okay guys, I am proud of you. You focused on the start and point of the actual discussion and didn't got distracted by all that various chat along the topic. That proves quality of mind.

My point of condemning racism and racist jokes isn't about the victims of racism, but about the careless jokers and repeaters.

Identifying someone of a different race is easy, while it's hard to distinguish between Zach Braff and Dax Shephard
Insulting somebody as stupid is low, not because it's such a bad ass insult, but it's the easiest and most mindless insult ever. Calling somebody stupid is a prove of the callers poverty of imagination much more then it can tell something about the target.

But throwing both together into a joke and laugh at it will make you love the most stupid things on earth. Making others laugh at it will make you guilty in spreading spiritlessness.

Racist jokes are a weapon of mass stupidication. Yes, stupidication!

Well actually it's more like a virus, cause noone controls it.

Another thing about jokes. In german we say something has "witz" ( ein witz - a joke, witzig - funny ) when there was spirit in it, not if we see somebody slipping on a banana. Of course I will laugh about that stupid accident, but I will not spread spiritlessness by doing so.

Maybe you need better words to see that difference.
Slipping on a banana - Gay
Zach Braff daydreaming - Hilarious

:wink: dear senator i think you lost the irony in my post
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:00 pm

<snip>
Last edited by Siсiliаn Ноundd on Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
john_rambovi
level1
level1

Postby john_rambovi » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:00 am

Rambovi

Schubdüse
level5
level5

Postby Schubdüse » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:42 pm

Question: Are here still people, who think that the subspecies Homo sapiens sapiens contains races???
Vorsprung durch Kraft - Triebwerke saugen - Präzisionsarbeit... Schubdüse.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:52 pm

Schubdüse wrote:Question: Are here still people, who think that the subspecies Homo sapiens sapiens contains races???

One for all and all for one!

*hugs Shub-a-dub*

In my opinion, I think there still are, although it's so diluted and vague as to be rarely applicable. eg, in England, we are a mixed bag of Britons, Saxons, Norse, Normans, excluding all the other immigrants over the years. But that can definitely be differentiated with, say, the Chinese, which in turn is mixed. Races today are more a collection. People can be proud of this without marching to drums and raising their arms at a 45 degree angle. But it is very tenuous. And of course there's the theory we all originate from Africa, and from then a root organism, and from then the Big Bang.

Colytic

Return to “General”