Is There No Honor?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

-- Tobias --
level3
level3

Is There No Honor?

Postby -- Tobias -- » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:10 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but is it not both customary and honorable to restart a 2v2 game if one player drops quite early in the game? Of course it is. Or, at least was.

Well, today I "enjoyed" a 2v2 game with two players that didn't believe this was the case. No, they'd prefer to monopolize a popular 2v2 server at the expense of eeking out a cheap win versus the cpu. This, despite my humble and sincere immediate request to restart a real 2v2 game. You know what response I got back to my request? Silence. Not even the courtesy of a reply. They actually wanted to play on against a cpu!

Now before anyone jumps in and says, "Hey Tobias, you are being hypocritical because you always play games, once started, to the end;" you should know that I do so only when people quit after I have driven them out of the game. I will not allow early quitting to substitute as an excuse for getting whooped (or drawing a noob partner, it happens; or any other perceived way to get out of an unfavorable circumstance by quitting). But when it was so early in the game, and the player legitimately dropped (this, despite our team clearly having the advantage), there was no reason not to restart; except for the weak sauce enjoyment of beating up on a cpu and a player with his hand tied behind his back.

I know I am old, but "in days past," restarting after an early drop was standard. No questions. (Most) people want to play other people (or so I thought). So, the flavor of defcon has changed. It is now OK to be an asshole it seems. I guess I missed the memo on that.
The Mighty Santa
level2
level2

Postby The Mighty Santa » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:36 pm

Heh. If that happens just leave lol.
-- Tobias --
level3
level3

Postby -- Tobias -- » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:11 pm

The Mighty Santa wrote:Heh. If that happens just leave lol.

Yeah, prolly, but this, by itself, doesn't free-up the server.

It's OK, I'm over it. But this kind of "play," and the continuous influx of untrained Steam users (Defcon, btw, in its current "advanced" evolution, requires training), is making it harder and harder not to end up with just a "well that was a fukin waste of time" feeling.
The Mighty Santa
level2
level2

Postby The Mighty Santa » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:04 am

-- Tobias -- wrote:
The Mighty Santa wrote:Heh. If that happens just leave lol.

Yeah, prolly, but this, by itself, doesn't free-up the server.

It's OK, I'm over it. But this kind of "play," and the continuous influx of untrained Steam users (Defcon, btw, in its current "advanced" evolution, requires training), is making it harder and harder not to end up with just a "well that was a fukin waste of time" feeling.

Heh, the truth is, though, we need new players. We need new people to come, and the noobies are a side effect, I suppose of that.
Kangaraptor
level2
level2

Postby Kangaraptor » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:10 am

Asking for honour in a videogame?

Maybe one day.
When we're all cats...
... on Mars.
cza
level4
level4

Postby cza » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:23 am

As I told you, I wanted to practice. Had you left, we could have just gone full speed and zipped the game up very quickly. You stayed to play it out however, which dragged it out. Next time, just leave.

The CPU is incredibly stupid, but at least a drop-CPU is a little bit smarter to play against because of a human setup. And when I popped on, there was not a backlog of people waiting to get 2v2 games going. I haven't played regularly for months, and I didn't want to throw away the time we had already invested setting up. I appreciated the practice.

That all being said, I'm sorry my ally signed the scores. As I said in game, your ally dropped so early, it shouldn't count for anything.
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:05 am

Tobias,

Do you really bitch about everything? Jesus
-- Tobias --
level3
level3

Postby -- Tobias -- » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:06 am

cza wrote:As I told you, I wanted to practice.

The world in general, and in this case the Defcon world in particular, does not revolve around you only my dear friend CZA.

cza wrote: ... we could have just gone full speed and zipped the game up very quickly.

Um, no. A restart would have been best.

cza wrote: ... but at least a drop-CPU is a little bit smarter to play against because of a human setup.

Again, you ...

cza wrote: ... when I popped on, there was not a backlog of people waiting to get 2v2 games going.

Now, this is indeed a plausible reason, except that it occurred at the peak daily defcon activity time. You are experienced enough to know that.

cza wrote: I haven't played regularly for months, and I didn't want to throw away the time we had already invested setting up. I appreciated the practice.

Again, you ...

cza wrote:... I'm sorry my ally signed the scores. ... it shouldn't count for anything.

For quite a long time now, SFCON has had an auto-signing feature. There is no longer any need to actually input "/signscore." All completed games "count," as they should.

THE EARLY DROP RESTART PROTOCOL

When, in a 2v2 game, one player drops "early," (generally defined as before defcon 3), it is customary to:

1) Wait a short while for the player to rejoin the game.
2) If, after a reasonable waiting period, the dropped player does not rejoin, any player may suggest "restart?"
3) The other players may request that the waiting period for the dropped player be extended, or simply say "agreed, ok, restart" or the like, and disconnect.
4) Once one disconnects, all others immediately follow. The server will recycle back in approximately 3-4 minutes, for another shot at a real game with real people and the enjoyment of all.

This does, of course, assume that there is sufficient overall player activity to support a restart in a reasonable period of time, and that dallying in an aborted game is not all there is to do defcon-wise atm.
-- Tobias --
level3
level3

Postby -- Tobias -- » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:07 am

Endless wrote:Tobias,

How long have you known me Endless? Am I not the wholly consistent bitcher?
Forever Young
level5
level5

Postby Forever Young » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:58 am

sometimes i also play versus a cpu till the end for practise or there is no time to start a new, but i also hate it if a 2v2 started and a player quits in defcon 4 and 2 players decide to quitt too and the fourth player(mostly a noob) plays alone till the end. then mostly there is no other free server to start a new game. that sucks!
WeAreDefconBastardsNotTerrorists

Let's dance in style
let's dance for a while
heaven can wait
we're only watching the skies
hoping for the best
but expecting the worst
are you gonna drop the bomb or not?
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:01 pm

-- Tobias -- wrote:

Well everyone bitched about TGR and BGP trolling everywhere and they got banned. You are doing the same thing with your pissing and moaning everywhere. Its annoying as fuck.
TheGranaryBytes
level2
level2

Postby TheGranaryBytes » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:13 pm

Endless wrote:
-- Tobias -- wrote:

Well everyone bitched about TGR and BGP trolling everywhere and they got banned. You are doing the same thing with your pissing and moaning everywhere. Its annoying as fuck.

Except TGR wasn't trolling ;)
-- Tobias --
level3
level3

Postby -- Tobias -- » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:44 pm

Endless wrote: You are doing the same thing ...

Not quite. But if people simply behaved as if the same shit could (will) come around on them, then you'd never hear a peep from me.
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:33 am

-- Tobias -- wrote:
Endless wrote: You are doing the same thing ...

Not quite. But if people simply behaved as if the same shit could (will) come around on them, then you'd never hear a peep from me.

Dude you act as if Defcon is for keeps. Like i just disconnected on life, please wait for me to reboot so we can have a fair game, if not my Artificial Intelligent self will take care of playing for me.

Grow up, quit your bitching. Defcon is a game and should be played just as that. This forum is for people to talk, not for pissing and moaning.
-- Tobias --
level3
level3

Postby -- Tobias -- » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:03 pm

Endless wrote: Defcon is a game and should be played just as that.

Hmm, let me try to figure this out. "Life" has integrity, but "games" do not? I can't honestly grasp this rather fine Lance Armstrong-like distinction.

I enjoy Defcon, and care about its integrity. What you call "pissing and moaning" are my as-friendly-as-possible denunciations (open, public condemnations) of in-game behaviors which all players may vicariously witness; and which, in my judgement, if left unexposed, would have the tendency to diminish the enjoyment of all (myself included).

Funny thing about public forums. If moderated with ease and restraint, reason eventually will prevail.

Return to “General”