New Moderators

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

New Moderators

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:54 pm

Forgot about this, sorry for the delay. As you probably agree, the Defcon forums need one or two new moderators. The idea would be that you somehow elect two or three candidates and once you're done, I present them to Chris, Mark and NeoThermic. They'll have the final say, obviously, especially on how many moderators they want, but I'm sure they'll respect the community wishes.

I humbly suggest the following simple procedure:
In a nomination thread, you can nominate candidates and candidates can accept or decline. Self-nominations are fine.
After a week or so of this, the candidates that accepted are put up for voting in a separate thread; votes are public, you have as many votes as you like, but only one per candidate max (so you can either approve or not approve a candidate. It's not about selecting a single government, but picking some people you trust.)
After another week, the X Candidates with the most votes get suggested as moderators.
To vote or be a candidate, your account needs to have been registered before... a week ago and you need to have made a post on the Defcon forums before today. Yes, this rule is there especially for you, and you. And you.

Also, discuss what admins should be doing. Should they be deleting/editing offending posts? Should they lock threads that go out of control without doing any edits? Should they ban people? The admin interfaces for the heavier stuff are a bit scary on this outdated board, I have to admit. If you want (and IV agrees), we can set it up so the elected moderators only have limited power themselves, but if they agree on some heavier action (like a ban), they can order someone with the power (Jelco, me, NeoThermic, etc) to do it.

Self Organized Community Go!
Laika
level5
level5

Postby Laika » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:25 pm

I want to be a mod, I feel I'll like it. I also suggest kudayta for mod post, it seems he is active enough, as far as I know him he provides hard proofs before accusing anyone.

I guess it's right to remove any personal info (names, phones, mails, adresses) in posts exept the author's.
Last edited by Laika on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AIRburst95
level3
level3

Postby AIRburst95 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:17 pm

I'm on every day so i nominate myself :P
Baton101
level4
level4

Postby Baton101 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:39 pm

Whoever will be nominated or elected, be aware that true power lies behind a trone!

:)
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:49 pm

I'm happy for Bert to carry on as partial moderator. I know I asked for a new mod a few weeks ago, but that was because nothing was being done about the excessive swearing, trolling etc.

Luckily trolls don't come along very often or they get bored quickly and leave, but just need to be dealt with more quickly and harshly in the future.
warmshock
level1
level1

Postby warmshock » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:18 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:Forgot about this, sorry for the delay. As you probably agree, the Defcon forums need one or two new moderators. The idea would be that you somehow elect two or three candidates and once you're done, I present them to Chris, Mark and NeoThermic. They'll have the final say, obviously, especially on how many moderators they want, but I'm sure they'll respect the community wishes.

I humbly suggest the following simple procedure:
In a nomination thread, you can nominate candidates and candidates can accept or decline. Self-nominations are fine.
After a week or so of this, the candidates that accepted are put up for voting in a separate thread; votes are public, you have as many votes as you like, but only one per candidate max (so you can either approve or not approve a candidate. It's not about selecting a single government, but picking some people you trust.)
After another week, the X Candidates with the most votes get suggested as moderators.
To vote or be a candidate, your account needs to have been registered before... a week ago and you need to have made a post on the Defcon forums before today. Yes, this rule is there especially for you, and you. And you.

Also, discuss what admins should be doing. Should they be deleting/editing offending posts? Should they lock threads that go out of control without doing any edits? Should they ban people? The admin interfaces for the heavier stuff are a bit scary on this outdated board, I have to admit. If you want (and IV agrees), we can set it up so the elected moderators only have limited power themselves, but if they agree on some heavier action (like a ban), they can order someone with the power (Jelco, me, NeoThermic, etc) to do it.

Self Organized Community Go!

I nominate myself to be moderator! I accept my own nomination.
cza
level4
level4

Postby cza » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:00 pm

I nominate LSWP.
Nukraine
level2
level2

Postby Nukraine » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:12 pm

i want to be on the self-nomination bandwagon!!!
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:23 pm

I nominate TGR and roflamingo.
thedarkknightrises
level1
level1

Postby thedarkknightrises » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:44 am

Endless wrote:I nominate TGR and roflamingo.

I nominate Endless, TGR and ROFLamingo
Castle Bravo
level2
level2

Postby Castle Bravo » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:09 am

i am willing to be a moderator, although i do not post everyday, i do check the forums everyday.
namj13
level2
level2

Nomination

Postby namj13 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:45 am

To whom it may concern,
I would like to nominate myself for the position of moderator.
A moderator should be able to remove personal information from a post, as well as lock uncontrolled threads. On the issue of banning, either all or at close to seventy-five percent. of the active moderators must agree for the ban to take place. Moderators should also be impartial to the general posts in the community. Moderators should act like a council rather than a presidency.

namj13
--Namj13
jon
level4
level4

Postby jon » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:44 pm

thedarkknightrises wrote:
Endless wrote:I nominate TGR and roflamingo.

I nominate Endless, TGR and ROFLamingo

That's a joke, right?
http://15percentfaster.com is my new website.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:34 pm

Why not make xander the moderator? :P

(seriously)
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Why not make xander the moderator? :P

(seriously)

Because I would turn it down. I don't want to moderate. You, on the other hand, would be a good choice. ;)

Actually, in all seriousness, I think that Ace Rimmer would be a good moderator. I have never seen him get involved in the petty bickering that goes on here sometimes, he is more invested in the Defcon community than most, and seems a generally level headed kind of guy. Same goes for LSWP, though I am not sure how much she reads the boards. As much as it pains me to say it, I think that tllotpfkamvpe might be a decent choice, as well. Age seems to have mellowed him out a bit. :P

In any event, for what it is worth, I would prefer to see a moderator who has been around for a while. My recollection is that Vicious, a relative newcomer at the time, asked to be made a moderator, was granted such power, worked for a while, then disappeared. While a longer-term attachment to the community may not be any indication that a particular person will stick around in the future, I have a lot more faith that someone who is still active after four or five years is still going to be around in another year or three.

xander

Return to “General”