Free Speech

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:29 am

Nukraine wrote:posting on the forums is a privilage, not a right

Agree with this. Trolls need to be warned and banned so the good people don't all leave. Introversion is still supporting defcon after all these years, but the community has let it self down, again.

I was dissapointed with the lack of moderator action, one even said that this was "normal behaviour" in defcon forum, altough he would not say it publicly but in a private pm. It seemed like he was prepared to let it go on rather than do something about it, because he didn't like the defcon side of the forums?

Hey, it's only a discussion forum about a game after all. If you acted like a troll try to learn from it and move on. No permanent damage was done, just try not to do it again. As mrmot used to say ingame time and time again "shit happens :mrgreen: "
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:53 am

I just am having a hard time to understand why people couldnt just ignore the troll, and the admins delete their posts that were meant for harm. Yea, I'm all for hard justice, but this is a free web forum. If we all had to pay to see his incolent garbage then yes i would agree the guy needs the banhammer.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:34 am

Right, have a bit of time now. Responding to things in order of severity:

"There was no moderator action for MONTHS":
Yes. Sorry. The reason for that is that only IV, NeoThermic and Vicious are explicit moderators. NeoThermic and IV are terribly busy, and Vicious vanished, presumably because he ran out of Fucks To Give (FTG, I'll probably be using that more often in this and/or future posts). I myself did not have, and still do not, have a moderator mandate, and franky I don't want one; it would be too much power in one hand. I think what we should do is elect a respected community member or two and put the suggestion towards IV to make them moderator. I'll start a thread for you to discuss the process, of course we should keep it simple.

"You should have just deleted their posts":
See above. Also, they did not react to Cris' warning, and hell, Chris only posts if there is something really important and they should have known. Both needed two avatar resets by me to settle for acceptable ones. Do you think they would have taken post removal BY ME as a sign to stop? Hell no, they would have complained to IV and they would even have been right, technically. Also, since we're on the topic of Free Speech, they'd have called it censorship (and would have been wrong, but that doesn't matter).

"Why was OpenFlow not immediately banned again?"
See above, and really, I did not ban BGP's original account and don't know who did it or why. I personally did not feel he had done anything wrong at that point *in the forums*, though that may be because stuff got deleted already.

"BGP shoudln't have been banned":
Are you kidding? Reread the agreement you sign when you register, he probably violated more terms than he kept.

"TGR should not have been banned, he was just trolled":
I don't care who started it, but there definitely was a lot of trolling back and forth. Just one recurring example, BGP did not force TGR to partake in that pyramid quote war thing. They were in full MAD mode. They both knew they could not make themselves look good with their posts, they only wanted to make the other one look bad, no matter the cost. That said, the list of TGR's transgressions is clearly smaller than BGP's.

"BGP's most recent account should not have been re-banned":
As mentioned in the last post, I was acting on explicit orders by Chris there. I admit it was advanced obedience (does that term exist for you guys? It's kind of a thing here in Germany), the order came AFTER I executed it, but BGP had used the account I banned to spam all over the forums, which I had to clean up, probably while you were sleeping, so you did not see it. TGR's then-new account was re-banned because it went on doing the same thing with BGP.

"Will I get banned if I insult bert_the_turtle?"
If that is the only thing you do, no, not by me. I can take it, though it uses some FTG I have, and I need all I can muster for some code changes that need to be done, so please don't anyway. There was one post by BGP specifically where he called me a German Nazi (redundant much?), I was considering letting that stand, but did not in the end; to those of you who would not have seen the other crap I had to remove, it would have seemed like that lone post was the reason for the re-ban. It really wasn't. Promise.

"Heeeey, there are two suspicious new forum accounts... will they be banned?"
Not if they behave. The orders I have offer some room for interpretation, and even if not, I can pretend I did not notice the connections.
SpitJock
level1
level1

Postby SpitJock » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:13 pm

Good grief, Bert. Your response there is concise, coherent, balanced, measured and informative. That kind of behaviour is unwelcome in the Defcon forum and if you keep it up there will be calls to have you banned... :D

Is there any of that cake left?

SJ
I understand your point of view perfectly. If I didn't, I couldn't be certain that you're wrong.
AIRburst95
level3
level3

Postby AIRburst95 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:13 pm

SpitJock wrote:Good grief, Bert. Your response there is concise, coherent, balanced, measured and informative. That kind of behaviour is unwelcome in the Defcon forum and if you keep it up there will be calls to have you banned... :D

Is there any of that cake left?

SJ

jokes on you, THE CAKE WAS A LIE!!!!11! :twisted:
SpitJock
level1
level1

Postby SpitJock » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:24 pm

Troll cake? Oh noes! :cry:
I understand your point of view perfectly. If I didn't, I couldn't be certain that you're wrong.

Return to “General”