Game is becomimg a drag. I'm strongly considering quitting!

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Noryb
level2
level2

Postby Noryb » Wed May 09, 2012 7:52 am

Tom, I do agree that you have been getting a bit of a hard time recently, though a lot of that might be based on your perception of things. The majority of the comments I've seen have been useful bits of advice on how to play better. I can understand that the context of them might feel unfair, no one likes to be bombarded with that sort of commentary right after losing, but at least try and take them in the spirit they are offered. The suggestions might be unsolicited and unwanted, but I think they're actually a good reflection on the community: people want to see you do well.

Here's one piece of non-game advice that I think might help your current situation: stop crowing over your past (and no doubt future) wins against high-level players. It's absolutely fine if you want to just "play to relax" and use your own style. What's less fine is maintaining this very undeserved ego about it. Getting a handful of wins and an incalculable number of losses against top players is nothing to be proud of. It's likely those results had as much to do with your opponents' mistakes as your skill. I'm of the opinion that even if you do win a game against hooru it will be next to meaningless. Would anyone consider a record of 1-99 in anything else a positive thing? Speaking of that challenge, which is the catalyst for all of this interest in how you play, it was a direct result of you claiming some sort of special status in F.Y.'s rankings due to your extremely infrequent upsets. If you stop doing that, and just consider yourself to be in a league of your own, I think most people would be quite alright with you continuing on your merry mediocre way.

As others have said, I hope you stay. Your style of play can be interesting and refreshing; unlike the arrogant and aggressive posturing here.

As a bit of a disclaimer, I'm definitely not lumping myself in with the "top players" and I'm not trying to speak for anyone.
Zorotama
level5
level5

Postby Zorotama » Wed May 09, 2012 11:21 am

Dear Tom, I think to be your first supporter (although you don't need it) and I'd really like to see you winning hooru.
But I think you misundertand the meaning of fun. In any game there is no fun out of the goal of the game itself. If I play chess with a noob I can be very aggressive but if I play versus a good chess player I need to be more accurate. If I play tennis with a baby I can play with closed eyes singing That's Amore...but if I play versus a tennis player I need to be more accurate...and this is fun. So I don't understand why you upset if I say you to be more patient because hooru deserves this patience.
The fact is that you not suck at defcon..and you could realize it better than you think.
Anyway, do what you want but it's sad to hear your words about players that still think that you can do it. And then...friends can give suggestions?
k-dawg
level2
level2

Postby k-dawg » Wed May 09, 2012 1:33 pm

after reviewing my posts, i can safely say that i am not a dick! :) i wanted to hear it from you, but i'll settle for that.

i think the scorecard will help you see what setup you play the best at (not for this hooru mess) but in general.

Code: Select all

_________TOM______HooRu   
Africa___563   7   764   5
Asia_____282   3   906   7
EU_______390   4   666   5
NA_______679   8   922   6
SA_______306   5   565   4
USSR_____210   3   432   3
           2430   30   4255   30

a total of 30 games, each one shows how many of each country they've played including the total score for each territory.

hope this makes sense. its also up on the spreadsheet.
Eral
level4
level4

zoolander

Postby Eral » Wed May 09, 2012 1:57 pm

LadySnowhitepink wrote:dear Tom!

you are part of this community since a long time and i played often against you.
maybe somewhen in the past you won some games.
you are a special person here cause you insist in your own way and in your style and that make you maybe on the place you find you know.

some here can hardly understand why you dont adapt your style to be more good cause we all see what you good in and in which you have some trouble.
i hope you win against hooru :mrgreen:

its good to have one like you here that my opinion.
but if you feel its time to move to find some other to find some new then its time
cause its the way of life to go and find new land

or?

greetings
the lady
:D

Dear Tom,if i'm allowed to, i would like to say that i totally agree with LSWP, even if we have unsolved old grudges (wich i keep in a place of my heart & memory). As i told you a year before, you'll never progress if you don't appreciate some of our advices or take improvment from your own mistakes. I was right. I tell you that because i consider we all have, here with time spent on this game, a little megalo-egotistic problem in development against we all fight. That's the way we choose to accept loses and come back after more powerfull and more arrogant (or more rusty and lazy - in my case). This is a part of defcon & all multiplayer games. It's not against you particularly - i dont' think. You are certainly a great guy - your instistance tell us how you're brave and full of honor. But you can't - in the middle of all these delusions - tell us not to like irony. You should accept some poeples here have particular humor and judge what you do in a game - because it's how we progress. This is the only way to reach the nirvana: Acceptance, not resignation. You'll always be a part of this zoo, where you're welcome. That's what i mean funny there. (Mode Moralist Off/) :)
Eral
level4
level4

Postby Eral » Wed May 09, 2012 2:01 pm

GHOSTofTOMBUSCH wrote:Wooooooooooooooooo!

I could spare you all the suspense and tell you if I end up quitting, but you sad spirits, locked away in your organic husks until your day of liberation, have not earned the privilege of knowing.

What I will tell you is that in the world beyond, I am busy kicking all your asses, daily. Must go beat up the Ghost of Rimmer now!

Get out of my head! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APlOxgaQajw
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Wed May 09, 2012 5:36 pm

-Vic
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Wed May 09, 2012 9:10 pm

TOM BUSCH-US
level2
level2

:)

Postby TOM BUSCH-US » Thu May 10, 2012 7:53 am

Schubdüse wrote:Dear Tommy,
just ignore them! I accept, who you are. BUT: You need more patience! :wink:
Thanks! Working on it! :) And thank you Eral and Zorro! Appreciate the kind words!
Laika
level5
level5

Postby Laika » Thu May 10, 2012 11:05 am

IMO this thread is attention whoredom.

Edit: well, just like this post.
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Thu May 10, 2012 6:16 pm

sfericz wrote:

What?

Felt the need to post that
-Vic
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Fri May 11, 2012 2:51 am

DTNC Vicious wrote:
sfericz wrote:

What?

Watch the video, then read my "what" again. :wink:
TOM BUSCH-US
level2
level2

Postby TOM BUSCH-US » Fri May 11, 2012 1:30 pm

sfericz wrote:
DTNC Vicious wrote:
sfericz wrote:

What?

Watch the video, then read my "what" again. :wink:
hahaha I love that scene! What country you from? Whatttt? What aint no country I ever heard of, Do they speak English in What? English mother F%^3er do you speak it? :)
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Fri May 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Yes, after Ms. Vic posted that, I went and dug my blu-ray out and had to watch it.
TOM BUSCH-US
level2
level2

Awesome!!!!

Postby TOM BUSCH-US » Fri May 11, 2012 9:08 pm

sfericz wrote:Yes, after Ms. Vic posted that, I went and dug my blu-ray out and had to watch it.
Did you see a sign in front of my house that said dead N573r storage?
level4
level4

Postby 47 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:45 am

Leave Leave Leave Leave Leave Leave Leave Leave :D

Return to “General”