"Rage Slow"

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

-- Tobias --
level3
level3

"Rage Slow"

Postby -- Tobias -- » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:27 am

It's been quite a while since I had a good topic to bitch about, but I found one today! Rage Slow. Rage Slow is where a player abuses liberal time budgets (or in the case of SFCON servers, no time budget at all) for the sole purpose of seeking to frustrate his opponent after the tide of battle has already decidely turned against them.

WarClown (player ID 257254) aka as "WMWMW" is one such player that does this. Here's a recording of him in "action:"

http://sfcon.demoszenen.de/dcrec/2012-0 ... _00.09.zip

It makes little difference to him, it seems, that he chose to deploy as a noob. What he wants is for you to play the game at his tempo. That is, you are at fault if you don't just rush right at him after the initial naval engagement and after he launches all his silos. All players that wildly launch silos at first opportunity should realize that they have created a situation where the opposing player must take time to maneuver. It is a situation they create themselves, and to then whine on about an opposing player not doing what they want them to do is simply ridiculous. You play your cards and you've got to live with the consequences.

(I recall a game from Defcon past where MOR spent an hour or more searching for my defenseless subs before he launched his silos. He eventually found them of course. It's how the game is played.)

But, some players refuse to accept the inevitable. Take our friend WarClown as an example. He'll sit on speed 1 for hours on end (with no fleet to move mind you) just to show you spite, rather than accept the consequences of his poor play. Players that abuse liberal time budgets should be banned from servers that have them. Abd btw, 2x is normal speed, not slow, asshole.
Zorotama
level5
level5

Postby Zorotama » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:50 am

SFCON has budgets..but not in 1vs1, and I find it right. I know that someone can resume BOR but otherwise I hate when in a challenge the bot forces me to speed up in an hard and critik moment. Be patient...and fuck the noobs (slowly :)).
cza
level4
level4

Re: "Rage Slow"

Postby cza » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:51 am

-- Tobias -- wrote:All players that wildly launch silos at first opportunity should realize that they have created a situation where the opposing player must take time to maneuver. It is a situation they create themselves, and to then whine on about an opposing player not doing what they want them to do is simply ridiculous.

The best, and most polite, summation of this problem.
Kangaraptor
level2
level2

Postby Kangaraptor » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39 am

I never rageslow. I go at the speed I need to in order to assess and act on the situation. I, for one, will not sit in x5 or x20 and miss a golden opportunity because some asshole was rushing me.
Maybe one day.
When we're all cats...
... on Mars.
Noryb
level2
level2

Postby Noryb » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:50 am

-- Tobias -- wrote:Abd btw, 2x is normal speed, not slow, asshole.

Actually 2x would be extremely slow. For 5x though it depends on the context. It is agonizingly slow if all your opponent is doing is shifting fighters around for hours on end late in the game and you just want to move subs into position. Toby, knowing that your opponent has a time limit, making zero effort to accommodate that when you can (not talking about changing play style, just increasing the speed when nothing is going on), and then raping the CPU is definitely an asshole move. But effective, I guess. It's just weird to see you put up this thread.

As a sort of open question for people: when one is getting into a random, non-tournament, match how much time is it reasonable for them to set aside? Obviously in a perfect world you always finish games, but when is it fair to say you have given it enough time?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:05 pm

Noryb wrote:As a sort of open question for people: when one is getting into a random, non-tournament, match how much time is it reasonable for them to set aside? Obviously in a perfect world you always finish games, but when is it fair to say you have given it enough time?

1. Assess the threat level (1v1)
    1. [DEMO]New Player
      1. Teaching/Giving tips?
        1. Yes: 45 minutes
        2. No: 20 minutes
    2. New Player (non-[Demo]) 25 minutes
    3. Named New Player 25-35 minutes
    4. TOM BUSCH-US
      1. Are you hooru?
        1. Yes: 25-30 minutes
        2. No: 30-45 minutes
    5. Named + low ranked player 35-60 minutes
    6. Named + med ranked player 40-100 minutes
    7. Named + high ranked player
      1. Are you high ranked?
        1. Yes: 120 minutes (exceptions apply)
        2. No: 45-100 minutes
    8. (MOR)
      1. Do you have other things to do?
        1. Yes: 40 minutes, then check back every 20-30 minutes.
        2. No: 100-360 minutes
  2. Set aside appropriate time
-- Tobias --
level3
level3

Postby -- Tobias -- » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:49 pm

2x is normal. Try it, you might be more effective.

If someone has a time limit, they should explicitly say so before play begins. Otherwise such a claim can only be considered as no more than a deceptive ploy (or an excuse). To not state so beforehand, and then put time pressure on the opponent, is the asshole move. As with rage slow - a player that creates his own shit should expect to eat it, and quit whining about the other player shoving it down his throat.

But, this thread is not about wanting me (or others) to get off of speed 1 or 2 during active play, or about my principle of playing each game to its conclusion (whether a player quits or not). Start your own thread for those. This thread is about Rage Slow: staying at speed 1 after you've had your ass-kicked and as a last ditch attempt to force your opponent to quit. Knowing their fate is sealed, these players would often rage quit (on servers with time budgets). But servers with liberal time budgets provide them a new option: rage slow. Such abuse of server time budgets jeopardizes a good thing for all of us and they should be banned for this behavior.
Schubdüse
level5
level5

Postby Schubdüse » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Hmm, I'm wondering. The gas-whole who is performing "rage-slow" has to do some keyboard-mouse-action. Otherwise Bert's speed-up function would kick in, wouldn't it?
Vorsprung durch Kraft - Triebwerke saugen - Präzisionsarbeit... Schubdüse.
-- Tobias --
level3
level3

Postby -- Tobias -- » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:56 pm

Schubdüse wrote:Hmm, I'm wondering. The gas-whole who is performing "rage-slow" has to do some keyboard-mouse-action. Otherwise Bert's speed-up function would kick in, wouldn't it?

Good question. I presume you are referring to "Speeding up Player X who seems to have left the computer" or the like. Maybe some servers have this disabled, or maybe these players just keep hitting keys randomly or something ... dunno. I can envision it though, such a sorry sight: a doomed player rage slowing at speed 1, sitting there and just hitting random keys in misery and pain, mumbling what not as they strike key after key ad infinitum. In the WarClown case, while he claimed to have gone off to watch a movie, he in fact stayed. So maybe he was twiddling stuff the whole time. Very sad.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:52 pm

I think it was disabled for some servers because of players dropping and the game thinking the server should shut down after a period of time.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
hooru1
level2
level2

Postby hooru1 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:30 am

even if it is enabled... all you have to do is come back every 5 minutes or so and do an order. one order is enough to keep it from saying that and speeding you up.
Noryb
level2
level2

Postby Noryb » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:09 pm

-- Tobias -- wrote:If someone has a time limit, they should explicitly say so before play begins. Otherwise such a claim can only be considered as no more than a deceptive ploy (or an excuse). To not state so beforehand, and then put time pressure on the opponent, is the asshole move.

In a typical game it is not an unreasonable expectation that a game won't go too far over two hours. If one has that much time there isn't a real need to say they have a time limit at the start. In that particular game, when I saw that it was liable to be a drawn out game, I asked for more speed. You laughed at that. I watched the rec, and you really did spend a lot of that time doing nothing more than reloading your carriers. Keeping it at that speed in a spread out game when absolutely no combat is going on, and when you know the person you are playing needs to go soon, is definitely a form of rageslow. It got you a win (sort of) so I guess it is a decent strategy.

-- Tobias -- wrote:But, this thread is not about wanting me (or others) to get off of speed 1 or 2 during active play, or about my principle of playing each game to its conclusion (whether a player quits or not). Start your own thread for those. This thread is about Rage Slow: staying at speed 1 after you've had your ass-kicked and as a last ditch attempt to force your opponent to quit.

That is awesome. The last game that we played (well the last game where you weren't using an alias) you ragequit. Also, your original post closed with:

--Tobias-- wrote:Abd btw, 2x is normal speed, not slow, asshole.

You brought it up.

Anyway, it is sort of a moot point. If that's your style then I'm fine with not playing you again. Seems like neither of us would have fun. That would be easier if you didn't play with aliases (which is it's own sort of iffy sportsmanship, but that is definitely for another thread), but feel free to leave me alone.
roflamingo
level3
level3

Postby roflamingo » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:17 am

Noryb wrote:That is awesome. The last game that we played (well the last game where you weren't using an alias) you ragequit.

From the screenshot he said GG and then dropped. I don't view that as a ragequit, but as conceding victory to you - hence saving time and getting on with life.... pretty much the opposite of rage-slowing.

Return to “General”