Working On Some Dedicated Servers

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

The Joker
level1
level1

Working On Some Dedicated Servers

Postby The Joker » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:21 am

Hey guys. Just as a heads up, I am working on getting dedicated servers up for DEFCON & Multiwinia(provided by Introversion Tournaments, and I am looking for a sponsor from Branzone.com so I can have servers up 24/7). I was able to get Dedcon and set up a test server of my own, and it seemed to work. But I am unable to figure out any sort of way of getting a hold of Dedwinia(dedicated servers for Multiwinia). If you guys could let me know on how to acquire it, that would be greatly appreciated(I added Bert The Turtle and Jelco on Steam if they can help me)

As of right now, I have 1 server for DEFCON configured for Tournaments only(using tournament settings). If you guys would tell me whats your favorite gamemode to play(FFA, Diplomacy, 2v2) if I do get approved for a sponsorship, I'll configure some servers for those gamemodes and settings so that you guys can play anytime(apart from on our Tournament servers).

-------------------------------------

Join Introversion Tournaments!

Visit Our Community Forums!
Forever Young
level5
level5

favorites gamemodes

Postby Forever Young » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:39 am

Hello,
the favorites gamemodes for experienced players are:
1v1 default(default cities, random territories),
1v1 random(random cities and territories),150
2v2 default(default cities, random territories)
2v2 random(random cities and territories)
every random city game with 150 population and 30 cities
it seems that are the random cities games are more popular now so they are more important.
if you have the possibility to make two or three 2v2 random server, it is useful to provide a password-charge as in the league server.
:)
The Joker
level1
level1

Postby The Joker » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:21 am

I see. Any competitive gamemodes for Tournaments, or is the standard 'Tournament' settings?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:01 pm

Access to dedwinia is restricted currently, it's sort of frozen in permanent closed beta. I can give you access.... but frankly, your idea of promoting your project seems to be to spam every other thread around here, which I don't approve. Shoot me a PM when you think the Defcon community has accepted your organization. (I'd say I'll watch you and send you the access data when I think you're ready, but I'll probably forget.)
The Joker
level1
level1

Postby The Joker » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:54 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:Access to dedwinia is restricted currently, it's sort of frozen in permanent closed beta. I can give you access.... but frankly, your idea of promoting your project seems to be to spam every other thread around here, which I don't approve. Shoot me a PM when you think the Defcon community has accepted your organization. (I'd say I'll watch you and send you the access data when I think you're ready, but I'll probably forget.)

I contacted you.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:58 pm

So you did, and I ignored it. Look, it's as much about protecting you from grief as it is about protecting the community. Thing is, we already had one MW tournament and it barely worked even though it was run by a community veteran who understood the game and the players and was organised using a website that already had some traction, and all back when we saw a little potential in competitive play. I simply don't think it can be repeated now and especially not by you.

But whatever, it's your own choice. I'll PM you the access data.
carebear
level3
level3

Postby carebear » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:37 pm

hmmmm ....
this defcon tournament seems to be born dead .. :X ....
I was planning to try to organise one by myself ... should something like that would interest someone ? :

this is a try with 9 players ... but we can change the number of players, make pools or round robin thing ... make custom score mode in case of round robin tournament ... with points earn or lost depending on the result of the match ... this image could be embeded on a topic on the forum where we'll see it evoluating .. we can also attach some documents to results (like dcrecs) ... i'm ok to administrate results even if I know it will probably make me get many time on it ...
what do you think about it ? the site I use is http://challonge.com and results will indeed be viewable by everyone at any time ... don't hesitate to create an account just to see how it works ...
the question of hosting server is not so important while there are already so many ... we could eventually ask trickser to make one online for the tournament just for few days/weeks if enough people get involved in it ...
let me know what you think about that ... :)
thx
Forever Young
level5
level5

Postby Forever Young » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:15 pm

the past has pointed out this will not work.
here on forum are many threads about that.
WeAreDefconBastardsNotTerrorists

Let's dance in style
let's dance for a while
heaven can wait
we're only watching the skies
hoping for the best
but expecting the worst
are you gonna drop the bomb or not?
carebear
level3
level3

Postby carebear » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:46 pm

hmmm k k ... i'm too lazy to search all posts for information honestly but i believe what you say.
i'll soon try and submit another tournament setup and you'll tell me .. perhaps round robin .... we'll see that ...
thx :)
carebear
level3
level3

Postby carebear » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:49 pm

ok ... this is what is possible to do in challonge ...

swiss scoring :

swiss brackets :

explanation about swiss scoring

.. or ...

round robin scoring :

Winners in round robin can be determine by :
-cutsom (swiss point system)
-Match wins
-Game/Set wins
-Total score in game

round robin brackets :

... so ...
I know my proposition perhaps don't fill the needs. :?
If stats are needed as provided on sfcon servers i'll talk to schubi and mrmot ...
F.Y. could you just tell me why double elimination bracket doesn't work please ? players don't follow the plan ? they feel it boring ? they don't find each others to play matches ? ...
Please just give a quick synthesis of what work and what don't .... is the Bosses vs Challengers really the better way ? :s .. I personally found it boring ...
thx. :)
Schubdüse
level5
level5

Postby Schubdüse » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:20 pm

I have participated in Button's 1v1 tourney. It was never ended, because some players never finished the group phase.
Any tourney, which is based on arranged games, will probably fail.
As F.Y. already mentioned, there are a lot of thread pages, which deal with different modes for tournies.

Search for instance for:
- King of the Hill
- MOR's Warcup (?)
- Rimmer's S1-S5 (?)
- Button's tourney
- [SCHUFT]
Vorsprung durch Kraft - Triebwerke saugen - Präzisionsarbeit... Schubdüse.
Forever Young
level5
level5

Postby Forever Young » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:15 pm

danke schubi! :D
care bear take a look at ace rimmers ladder s4 for example. but also the other ladders were successfully.
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon/viewtopic.php?t=6963&highlight=ladder
my idea is, maybe you and joker make a ladder on scfon servers if trickser has nothing against it, because for 1 person it is nearly a fulltime job.
i hope this will help you.

Ace Rimmer come back! we miss you all!
carebear
level3
level3

Postby carebear » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:36 pm

Ok thx shubi & F.Y. .. i'll have a look at these threads ..
thx :)
carebear
level3
level3

Postby carebear » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:45 pm

omg .. hey dudes ... i was just talking about tournament ... not about gaining a university grade in mathematics ... xD .. too many stats .. i don't give a fuck about so many stats ... lol ... who would be interesting in knowing what day in the week had most games played ? O.o honestly ...
Forever Young
level5
level5

Postby Forever Young » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:13 pm

:) it was interesting for knowing what day in the week had most or fewer games played if you try to play games and there are not so many players around. this not very important but it was useful.
WeAreDefconBastardsNotTerrorists

Let's dance in style

let's dance for a while

heaven can wait

we're only watching the skies

hoping for the best

but expecting the worst

are you gonna drop the bomb or not?

Return to “General”