Defcon future ?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

rome87
level2
level2

Defcon future ?

Postby rome87 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:49 pm

Are there any plans for future add ons/expansion, new content(units), more game options etc?
Cant believe how long ago defcon was released and since then no other game has come close to simulating ww3 as defcon does, is it over for defcon its future that is ?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Re: Defcon future ?

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:53 pm

All of that is highly unlikely. Occasional surprises do happen, like the AI bot interface and the Steam achievements, but gameplay wise, you should consider Defcon complete.
rome87
level2
level2

Postby rome87 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:56 pm

Its a shame the game has so many things that could be added to make the simulation even more realistic and making the game even better overall.
Groeteschele
level2
level2

Postby Groeteschele » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:36 pm

Mr. Rome, what did make you think that Defcon is a simulator? What is bringing you a confidence that more add-ons, more expansions, more continents, more units, more options.... would make the game better? Did you consider a possibility of existence of a beauty in a simplicity?
Abaculus
level1
level1

Postby Abaculus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:27 pm

Groeteschele wrote:Mr. Rome, what did make you think that Defcon is a simulator? What is bringing you a confidence that more add-ons, more expansions, more continents, more units, more options.... would make the game better? Did you consider a possibility of existence of a beauty in a simplicity?

I concur. Defcon features few units but infinite tactical scope- anything more would generate clutter. This software is not a simulator- currently only two anti-ballistic missile systems that are capable of intercepting ICBMs exist, the world is divided into six parts, not nuclear-weapon states (five exist as recognised by the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty) or any nation that possesses nuclear arms and the switching time between modes and fuel for aircraft is based entirely on gameplay (for example, surely a silo with an air defence platform would be capable of both operations simultaneously?).

Possibly Introversion could expand the game a little...perhaps an alternative game mode with nations plus the UN or NATO? It would be a little pointless, though.

For many games I would agree with you, but not this. No offence intended.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:27 pm

Fixing the Pacific seam bugs would be nice. Other than that, yeah, I agree with Groet, the beauty of this game is in the minimalism.
rome87
level2
level2

Postby rome87 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:29 am

Abaculus wrote:
Groeteschele wrote:Mr. Rome, what did make you think that Defcon is a simulator? What is bringing you a confidence that more add-ons, more expansions, more continents, more units, more options.... would make the game better? Did you consider a possibility of existence of a beauty in a simplicity?

I concur. Defcon features few units but infinite tactical scope- anything more would generate clutter. This software is not a simulator- currently only two anti-ballistic missile systems that are capable of intercepting ICBMs exist, the world is divided into six parts, not nuclear-weapon states (five exist as recognised by the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty) or any nation that possesses nuclear arms and the switching time between modes and fuel for aircraft is based entirely on gameplay (for example, surely a silo with an air defence platform would be capable of both operations simultaneously?).

Possibly Introversion could expand the game a little...perhaps an alternative game mode with nations plus the UN or NATO? It would be a little pointless, though.

For many games I would agree with you, but not this. No offence intended.
I dunno i guess it feels a tiny bit like a ww3 simulator but thats just me.Just hope that defcon isn't completely finished and that the dev allows more control for the moders over the game i know its a pipe dream and a long shot but theres always hope.Theres so few games if any that try and do what defcon does in allow you to make global thermo nuclear war.
Abaculus
level1
level1

Postby Abaculus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:36 pm

dunno i guess it feels a tiny bit like a ww3 simulator

I understand your point- the core of it is rather like a simulator.

Just hope that defcon isn't completely finished and that the dev allows more control for the moders over the game i know its a pipe dream and a long shot but theres always hope. Theres so few games if any that try and do what defcon does in allow you to make global thermo nuclear war.

I agree- Introversion should introduce mod support for Defcon. It would be a shame if they did not as (as you pointed out) there are so few games in this category. Personally I would welcome a simulator, whether as a modification or a new game from another developer.

Return to “General”