Thinking about buying this game..

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Dysruption
level0

Thinking about buying this game..

Postby Dysruption » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:57 pm

I played the demo to this game awhile ago, and just recently remembered it. I've been playing the demo lately and don't know whether or not I should buy the game.

I have a few questions.

Do people still play this game? I mean looking at the online game list and I don't see too many games, and I don't want to get into a game when barely any people play it.

How much strategy is involved in this game? I mean I know it requires strategy but I love games that I can really get into and analyze all different types of play, etc.

Is it worth buying at this point? I'm tired of most other strategy games but am looking for a game that I can get get into, improve my skills, become part of the community, and have fun. Is this a good game for what I want? Or are there better choices.

Thank you!
Tesla
level1
level1

Postby Tesla » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:58 am

Yes people still play but the number is not huge but I have no problems finding a game when I fancy one. I live in the Uk so I find GMT 17:00 onwards is when it's busy and weekends.

As for strategy yes there is lots to keep you occupied, I'd hazard a guess when you first start you will lose allot and need to spec a few games and check the forum for various strategies people have posted over the years. Ive been playing for over a year now and am still far from being anywhere near the top players.

As for if it's worth buying thats a personal choice but I'd say for the price of the game and the fun I've had playing then yeh for sure its worth it. I play other games too(Company of heroes mainly) but defcon keeps me coming back because even when you think your improving you will get owned by someone and see there is still much to learn. Plus because the player base is not huge you will become part of the community pretty quickly and the majority will be willing to help you to become a better player if you listen.

So in short buy it :) Happy Nuking
Schubdüse
level5
level5

Postby Schubdüse » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:37 pm

level4
level4

Postby 47 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:43 pm

Deciding to purchase is completely up to you.. play few games as demo and it can help you decide if you develop interest or not..

As for players..well you will have to find the time according to your time zone.. the servers can be busy at some times and you can easily find games to play.. Not a lot of top players are playing so you can expect games against noobs and semi average players.. that can help you to learn..

As for strategy it will take good amount of time before you can become good enough to challenge the top players..so the learning curve is there....

GHOST
Dysruption
level0

Postby Dysruption » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:19 pm

So I bought it, been playing a couple computers.

I just beat an AI for the first time, which is cool I think.

But I am a noob and don't know if I should join online games or which ones to join.. any advice?

Thanks guys.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:59 pm

Don't join any online games yet. Spectate, of course, but don't play yet. Lurk first. Get so that you can beat the AI every time using the basic tactics that online players use. Get used to putting one ship in a fleet and controlling them all.

When you do start playing online, get angry with the fact that you're going to lose a lot at first. Get it into your head that you won't tolerate this condition for much longer, because "you are going to win". This is a competitive game, and it requires a balance of patience and aggression.
Tesla
level1
level1

Postby Tesla » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:33 pm

Congrats money well spent imo :)

Spectate.. Spectate.. Spectate.. not to just copy what other players do but to try and understand why they are doing what they do. I'd also recommend diplomacy games as its sort of a mixture of the 2. You get to see how other players set up, move units around time silo/sub launches. But be prepared diplomacy games can be brutal and your so called allie is probably just waiting for the right time to attack you. But can be good fun

Also if u venture into 2v2 or 3v3 communication is key. Ask for help, get a solid plan going so you know what you want to do from the start and keep at it. Its a tough world in defcon and u will get annihilated some times but just try and think about what you will do differently next time. What went well, what didn't. Good luck and have fun :)
Mrmot
level4
level4

Postby Mrmot » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:10 am

Dysruption wrote:So I bought it, been playing a couple computers.

I just beat an AI for the first time, which is cool I think.

But I am a noob and don't know if I should join online games or which ones to join.. any advice?

Thanks guys.

:mrgreen:
Sure you have to join online games. We wait for you!

Check youtube videos by user "gbcan" about defcon. It will help you a lot.
mallebrok
level1
level1

Postby mallebrok » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:20 pm

By all means, join up :)

just don't expect to win anytime soon and you will be fine.

For now (and maybe longer than that) all your online defcon balls will grow from is trying to go down in style :)
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:27 pm

Rule of thumb to learn from spectating: What looks better (esthetically) is better (tactically).
-Nameless-
level0

Postby -Nameless- » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:59 pm

I'd be considered somewhat new here, but I'll offer some suggestions too.

If you join up, don't quit games you are losing. Instead ask whoever is beating you for advice.

Way too often new players quit at the first sign of trouble (and even some older players do that too, which is insanely annoying sometimes). You can get some good tips from older players towards the end of the game, while they destroy your cities.

Spectating is a good idea, although I sort of bypassed that step (to my detriment). I wanted to jump right in... and did... and got destroyed a lot. If you don't mind losing, no harm in joining as soon as you can beat the AI/watch a game or two. If you find matches against other new players, you can probably beat some of them. Just don't mimic the spread silos/6-fleet strategy.

I'd also suggest when you join up, start with 1 vs 1s. 2 vs 2s/3 vs 3s can be more fun, but also have a greater chance of not going so well.
Dysruption
level0

Postby Dysruption » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:55 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm feelin' the love in this community.

I've joined a couple of games to play, I won one but I don't think my opponent was experienced, but other than that I was defeated.

I've also been spectating quite a few games. But I consider myself a practical learner, so I'd rather join and lose. Any other strategic tips for a beginner would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again guys!
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:25 pm

Steps to winning at Defcon:

1. Download Demo (check)
  2. Try out game for value (check)
  3. Buy game based on excellent experience (check)
  4. Play against AI, eventually win (check)
  5. Venture online, spectate, especially 2v2/3v3 servers (check)
  6. Get feet wet by playing 1v1 (check?)
  7. Lose (check)
    1. Realize you can place less than six ships in a fleet
    2. Realize that subs mixed with other ships is BAD
    3. Realize that Silos on borders/scattered/covered_by_enemy_radar is BAD
    4. Realize that bombers should not fly directly at enemy in naval battle
    5. Realize that you can create own style of play (flanking maneuvers, cat 'n mouse, ninja fleets, re-direction, and just plain cunning are all great)
    6. Realize that in order to win consistantly, you must plan the entire game Before Defcon 4.
  8. Ask players for advise (while playing)
  9. Eventually win
  10. Join the forums (check)
  11. Join forum competitions (when they happen)
  12. Read Strategic subforum, watch various videos (posted by various users)
  13. Fin.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:45 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:# Realize that in order to win consistantly, you must plan the entire game Before Defcon 4.

Including contingencies. As has been said before by wiser men than I, "A plan is just a list of things that ain't gonna happen".
Dysruption
level0

Postby Dysruption » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:22 am

I really appreciate that Ace Rimmer. I can pretty much beat a computer consistently now, when I play my best. I've played a few more 1v1s online, and I won 2 of them. I don't know how skilled my opponents were, but I'm getting the hang of it I think.

Things I've started doing:

1. Trying to master naval battles through the use of single Battleship fleets with carriers behind them shooting out bombers diagonally.
2. Trying to create a "wave of bombers" by sending lots of them at a 90 degree angle to target and then nuking at the same time.
3. Grouping silos closer together
4. Stacking subs to nuke effectively

Things I need to work on:

1. Airbase placement- I seemed to think it was a good idea to put them in a straight line
2. Not getting my radars killed
3. Not getting my Carriers killed in naval battles
4. The right time to send nukes from Silos
5. How to kill subs when they are gray - Can someone help me here?
6. Using fighters effectively- also need help here
7. Scouting so I can take out silos with bombers/subs, right?

Yeah, so that's how far I've gotten over the past week lol.

Return to “General”