Playing over LAN/VPN?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

curt44
level0

Playing over LAN/VPN?

Postby curt44 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:40 am

Hello,
Excuse me if I am posting this in the wrong section of the forum... this just seemed like the most appropriate place. I am brand new to this game... and I was wondering if it's possible to play it over a VPN with a few friends. I have LogMeIn Hamachi VPN installed, and was wondering how I can do this. If I am not understanding the whole network gaming thing, could someone please explain?

realityx
level0

Postby realityx » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:17 am

you should be able to, just give your friends your hamachi IP address, then in advanced options disabled advertise on internet and set any other custom options you want.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:56 am

If the reason you want to go on a VPN is just that you want nobody else to join, you can also just set a password.
DefSquid
level0

DefCon Hamachi

Postby DefSquid » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:46 pm

How do you select Hamachi as the network adapter for the LAN server? Defcon defaults to my physical LAN and I can't find a way to make it listen to the Hamachi 'adapter'.

Thanks!
DefSquid
level0

Postby DefSquid » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:35 am

Figured it out. You have to raise the priority of the Hamachi adapter.

In Win7 here's how (other flavors of Windows are similar):
1. Click the Start Button
2. Right Click "Network" and then left Click Properties
3. From the "Network And Sharing Center" window click "Change Adapter Settings"
4. On the "Network Connections" window, press the ALT key on your keyboard to being up the menu bar
5. Click the "Advanced" menu and then "Advanced Settings"
6. In the "Advanced Settings" window you will see the "Adapters and Bindings" tab and under "Connections" you will see the order they are in, you can use the arrows to the side to move the connection priority up and down.

Of course a nice addition to the game would be to allow you to select an adapter in-game...
chrisjohnson11
level0

Re: Playing over LAN/VPN?

Postby chrisjohnson11 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:26 am

jameshouston135 wrote:When using a VPN created with LogMeIn Hamatchi, you need to go into the Advanced network settings of the Hamachi virtual network adapter and change the NETBIOS settings from “default” to “Enabled” on all computers (both holding the database and needing to access the database).

great recommendation, you can also connect multiple computers with vpn.

Return to “General”