Some quick questions

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Jordy...
level5
level5

Some quick questions

Postby Jordy... » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:33 am

- How micro intense is Defcon overall? Compare it to starcraft if you could.

- How important is taking out scanners? It seems to me that taking them out is a huge advantage, but a real good player would probably fill this gap with constant supply of fighter-planes. So in high-level matches, how important is this? Worth waisting 10 nukes on?

- Is it worth nuking carriers with bombers?

Thanks.
Barbarossa
level2
level2

Re: Some quick questions

Postby Barbarossa » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:54 am

Jordy... wrote:- How micro intense is Defcon overall? Compare it to starcraft if you could.

- How important is taking out scanners? It seems to me that taking them out is a huge advantage, but a real good player would probably fill this gap with constant supply of fighter-planes. So in high-level matches, how important is this? Worth waisting 10 nukes on?

- Is it worth nuking carriers with bombers?

Thanks.

I never played StarCraft. But Defcon overall is not as micro intense as a lot of games for the reasons of there is no resource acquisition, after you place your units no more are able to be created, there is no upgrades or tech trees to worry about, etc..

Taking out radars you mean? It depends what type of game you are playing (default, diplomacy, 2v2, 1v1, 3v3, etc..) and also what is the scoring mode itself. For example if in Diplomacy and in Default scoring, I tend to try to kill as much enemy population as possible (by syncing and packing my nukes to hit the largest cities first) and don't even worry about radar, airbases, etc.. So it all depends on what kind of game you are playing. Constant supply of fighters? A carrier or two is much more efficient, even bombers are better they have much more range.. Wasting 10 nukes on 1 radar? Never.. If you meant 10 nukes on all radars? Radars only need to take one hit. I wouldn't concentrate on taking out all the radar.. Population is more important in my default scoring modes..

As for naval nuking? its worth it if you can pull it off. I suck at naval things so I can't give no advice here.
Red Button
level3
level3

Postby Red Button » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:10 am

Hey Jordy,

first of all welcome.

Defcon is not as micro intense as Starcraft HOWEVER.. If in the middle of a naval battle it can be, but only for a short time, till ur fleet is sunk ;)

Naval Nuking: The good guys do it. But u have to train it. Simply a nuke here and there on the poor fishes is nothing worth doing.. But if u manage to pull a big carpet of nukes at once on a fleet. than it really can make a diffrence. I would suggest, u play a lot with the good guys and watch em, how they do it.. before u try it and safe ur nukes for cities or ur bombers for shipbattle.

Taking out scanners can be good. The silos only shoot, what they can see. So if ur nukes flying for killing opponents silos, u might want to kill his radars first. But again, its all a question of how good u can synchronize. There are players in here, that can sync their silolaunch that all 6 nukes from one wave come as a single nuke. If u are able to do that.. no need for radars :) For a beginner, I would advice u, to take out radars around continent, that are easy to hit. but the closer the radars get to silos, the better they will be defensed, the more nukes u will have to use and put ur bombers in danger..

Looking forward to our match!

Some basic tips:
- Put silos close together, so they defend better each other. And dont spread em all over the continent. U cant protect all cities
- Dont place fleet more than 3 or 4 for beginners in one groub and dont mix groups
- If u launch ur silos, that are standing next to each other.. combine launches. first nuke each silo target number 1 , second nuke each silo target number 2... in that way, 1 or 2 nukes will get even through heavy defense silo fire.
- and the rest.... Just play and learn the hard bloody way, we all did :)
Forrest Krunk
level3
level3

Postby Forrest Krunk » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:24 am

Red Button wrote:and the rest.... Just play and learn the hard bloody way, we all did :)

Sound advice!
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:18 am

Thanks a lot, I got the feeling that grouping all your silos is the wisest things to do, cause a single silo will just get nuked. About the micro tho, I saw some clip in which a guy explained how to set up your fleets, I think he had all fleets as a single unit, and with a general ship count of 36? I think that's pretty hard ^^. Especially without drop and drag boxes, but is this still the general way people play? Or do you just have fleets of 6 ships?
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:36 am

Better microing wins me most of my games. These full navy battles are extrem micro intensiv. It annoys me deeply. I only need to waste a thought to strategy if I find a player with an equal high amount of microing.

There is nothing wrong with 6-ship-fleets, they just make you look stupid.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:21 am

^^, I guess so. Well certainly you should overcome part of the microing by placing your fleets in the right position? I mean 6 battleships and 6 carriers will have a hard time against 6 subs, 6 battleships and 6 carriers right? No matter how hard you micro this. It seems to me you need to catch your opponent of guard.

I kind of like the micro, as long as it doesn't overrule the strategy to much, like you say. But lining up bombers, nukes, ships, it all adds a bit of skill.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:30 pm

A sneaky sub attack can work wonders, but there are also ways to deal with it.
Bigger fleets help in microing ships a bit. But what you actually have to micro - and this is often missed by newplayers for obvious reasons - are the fighters. Fighters do like nothing if you dont give them orders. But if you do they can actually kill something instead of being just movable radar. And there are hundreds of fighters in the game.
I dont mean this as a hint to successful games, there are plenty of other stuff you can/should do. I just wanna explain there is no way around heaviest micromanagment in major naval engagements (which is just a fraction of actual gameplay) if you wanna have a chance.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:44 pm

I got you, I got annihilated almost by a big fleet, nuking my coast. You really have to make sure he hasn't much more carriers left then you do.

But how do you use fighters in naval battles except maybe to scout? BB's shoot them down like paper planes, so it seems hardly worth it?

Also, does AA automatically attack nukes instead of fighters? Or does it attack closest, or what came first?
Jordy...
level5
level5

del
Last edited by Jordy... on Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jordy...
level5
level5

del
Last edited by Jordy... on Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jordy...
level5
level5

del
Last edited by Jordy... on Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:45 pm

I spammed my own topic :shock:, major lagging caused this, and I don't seem to be able to delete this.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:18 pm

Jordy... wrote:I got you, I got annihilated almost by a big fleet, nuking my coast. You really have to make sure he hasn't much more carriers left then you do.

But how do you use fighters in naval battles except maybe to scout? BB's shoot them down like paper planes, so it seems hardly worth it?

Also, does AA automatically attack nukes instead of fighters? Or does it attack closest, or what came first?

Fighters might be paper planes, but a BB can't kill a bunch of paper planes fast enough to do serious damage. trickster is dead on, new players almost always waste fighters thinking they're worthless. Even experienced players will do this.

As for AA, silos will go for closest Nuke, Bomber, Fighter (in that order). Do not ever manually target your silos (except to fight with an ally). Therefore, you can scout more easily by sending a nuke or two with planes as the AA will be focused on the nuke/s. Same for non-nuke scouting, send in a bomber or two with fighters and the fighters will get ignored.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:45 pm

Thanks, good tips, I was more thinking along the lines as fighters like canon fodders, nut that won't work then. I lost a big battle again, cause he went all fighters, will I wanted to go bomber first :(. So yea, probably use fighters in naval battle alot.

Also, what exactly is draw back of active sonar?

Return to “General”