1945-1998

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

xander
level5
level5

1945-1998

Postby xander » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:08 pm

I can't seem to figure out how to embed the video, so a like to the website: http://www.ctbto.org/specials/1945-1998 ... hashimoto/

xander
Barbarossa
level2
level2

Re: 1945-1998

Postby Barbarossa » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:08 pm

xander wrote:I can't seem to figure out how to embed the video, so a like to the website: http://www.ctbto.org/specials/1945-1998 ... hashimoto/

xander

Our resident genius can't figure something out? Shockers!
Barbarossa
level2
level2

Postby Barbarossa » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:12 pm

You can't do it.. not with blip.tv and not on this forum.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:15 pm

/me points at the edit button
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:04 pm

On topic tho, that's an intriguing artwork, in my mind the ussr catched up to the USA relatively quickly, but it seems there first couple of test didn't go so well, judging the time between them. On second thought, Boy do I not wanna live on the east coast, near LA, or Fransfansisco?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:16 pm

Barbarossa wrote:You can't do it.. not with blip.tv and not on this forum.

And that would by why I couldn't figure it out. There was no need for your sarcasm.

Jordy...: Most of the tests done in the US were done out at White Sands in New Mexico (early on), or at the test facility in Nevada. Las Vegas would be a worse place to be than either LA or San Francisco (though I do seem to recall some tests being done in the Pacific not too terribly distant from LA).

xander
Last edited by xander on Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:31 pm

Interesting video. Its strange how many of these expensive devices were blown up. I always though that Uranium needed to build these is quiet limited.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:09 pm

What? Limited? You've played Defcon right? You knew that there were thousands of weapons in existence since before most of us were born, right?

Wikipedia wrote:Between 1945 and 1990, more than 70,000 total warheads were developed, in over 65 different varieties, ranging in yield from around .01 kilotons (such as the man-portable Davy Crockett shell) to the 25 megaton B41 bomb.

There was even a Uranium Rush in the US in the 50's.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:25 pm

I dont know why, but a chart is burned to my mind, showing there much less energy to gain from fission of worlds uranium reserves then form burning coal.
I must have put 2 and x together and got 4.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:09 pm

Wow, just watched this and now I know why people that lived in the 60's don't remember anything. :P
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Barbarossa
level2
level2

Postby Barbarossa » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:23 pm

Watching this reminds me of http://www.gapminder.org/ He could just have easily loaded the data into Google Docs and used the gapminder apps/plugin to do everything.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:14 pm

Barbarossa wrote:Watching this reminds me of http://www.gapminder.org/ He could just have easily loaded the data into Google Docs and used the gapminder apps/plugin to do everything.

Except that the project was clearly an art project, not a simple map of where all of the nukes were set off. The map he created is part of the project, as is the general visual feel, the score counters on the top and bottom, and sounds and colors that the nukes use when they go off. Gapminder would have been a completely inappropriate tool in order to construct the project as it was intended.

xander
Barbarossa
level2
level2

Postby Barbarossa » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:23 am

xander wrote:
Barbarossa wrote:Watching this reminds me of http://www.gapminder.org/ He could just have easily loaded the data into Google Docs and used the gapminder apps/plugin to do everything.

Except that the project was clearly an art project, not a simple map of where all of the nukes were set off. The map he created is part of the project, as is the general visual feel, the score counters on the top and bottom, and sounds and colors that the nukes use when they go off. Gapminder would have been a completely inappropriate tool in order to construct the project as it was intended.

xander

You know not to be politically incorrect or anything, but I can't help but notice the connection between the person who did the "art project" and the historical event of the United States dropping two bombs on Japan. I think at the very least on some subconscious level national origin of the "artist" had something to do with why he picked this particular topic.
ChemicalRascal
level1
level1

Postby ChemicalRascal » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:48 am

Barbarossa wrote:
xander wrote:

xander

You know not to be politically incorrect or anything, but I can't help but notice the connection between the person who did the "art project" and the historical event of the United States dropping two bombs on Japan. I think at the very least on some subconscious level national origin of the "artist" had something to do with why he picked this particular topic.

Hum... That may be also the reason behind the memorial/museum thing in Hiroshima, and the group in Hiroshima that write a letter of complaint every time a nuclear weapon test is made.* I'm sure that this same theory can be applied to those related to, and indeed the, Australian veterans of the Vietnam War that campaigned so that they could march in the Anzac Day parades across Australia. Or even the tendency of astronauts to do seminars or speeches on their experiences and so on.

Good work, you've made a break-through in the science of Psychology. Quick, go publish a paper with your theories and findings.

*Fact. I've seen the letters. Or, at least, metal plates with the text from the letters printed on them. The plates are in the memorial/museum thing. On a wall. The wall is part of a mock-up of the closest building to the detonation to structurally "survive". The one with the dome.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:46 am

Barbarossa wrote:You know not to be politically incorrect or anything, but I can't help but notice the connection between the person who did the "art project" and the historical event of the United States dropping two bombs on Japan. I think at the very least on some subconscious level national origin of the "artist" had something to do with why he picked this particular topic.

Holy shit! An artist creates a work that speaks to his own history or experience! Stop the presses! News at 11!

xander

Return to “General”