Moderator: Defcon moderators

NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Re: Regression

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:44 pm

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:
ewanm wrote:Why don't you plot as a scater and use regresion.
Right click on plotted point -> add trendline -> polynomial, then set the order, then ok. Order two gives quadratic regression, 3 cubic regression etc.

Set the order to? I've tried 2 - 6, and all don't look right. I must be missing something...

NeoThermic

He is talking the order of the polynomial. A first order polynomial only contains the variable; a second order polynomial contains the variable squared; a third order polynomial contains the variable cubed; &c. But, as I said above, what is being compared? Regression is a comparitive technique...

xander

Right, so I'm back to square one, Excel doesn't have a usefull easy to plot histogram chart type :|

NeoThermic
DrDemento
level2
level2

Postby DrDemento » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:13 pm

I hate to stick my nose in where I've only just noticed, but in the raw data, the mean post length is consistently higher than the maximum post length. I expect I'm missing something here, but if I'm not then that's bad. Real bad.

For example, you say the mean (I assume post length, and yes, I know what assuming almost certainly will do) is ~506 chars, when the longest post you've recorded is 123 chars...

Please tell me what I'm missing.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:23 pm

DrDemento wrote:I hate to stick my nose in where I've only just noticed, but in the raw data, the mean post length is consistently higher than the maximum post length. I expect I'm missing something here, but if I'm not then that's bad. Real bad.

For example, you say the mean (I assume post length, and yes, I know what assuming almost certainly will do) is ~506 chars, when the longest post you've recorded is 123 chars...

Please tell me what I'm missing.

My assumption at the time was that those are just excerpts from the totality of the data.

xander
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:59 pm

DrDemento is from Lancaster! Whoo!

I go to Lancaster University \o/
DrDemento
level2
level2

Postby DrDemento » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:02 am

But they weren't very representative as excerpts from the data... It seems more likely from the data that's been put up that there's been a bit of a slip up in some of the working? Just a thought. I couldn't bear the idea of such a mission critical discussion being based on non-sound assumptions! :D
DrDemento
level2
level2

Postby DrDemento » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:04 am

Hey Darksun, you lucky boy you! I actually graduated from Lancaster uni last year. I'm doing a masters at liverpool now, but Lancaster's a much nicer city! I hope you don't have the dubious pleasure of grizedale or County West... People deserve plaster!

P.S. Join the Fish.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:12 am

Oi, Grizedale owns! :P

They're knocking it down now though, granted the buildings were shit but at least accomodation was cheap. Soon everyone will be paying £90/week or something ridiculous. Got a house in town for next year though

Incidentally, if anyone wants to see what we're talking about, I have some photos of my accomodation (and other stuff) here

p.s. I suck at frisbee :( I own at climbing onto roofs though, which I have to do all the time when mine gets thrown up there[/url]
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:20 am

DrDemento wrote:But they weren't very representative as excerpts from the data... It seems more likely from the data that's been put up that there's been a bit of a slip up in some of the working? Just a thought. I couldn't bear the idea of such a mission critical discussion being based on non-sound assumptions! :D

What you need to understand is the section of the graphs I've plotted removed the statsitical freaks. There are posts with a maximum length, 65,535 characters that skewed the mean and the other items quoted. The graphs wouldn't plot right if I had these in, so I plotted the upper and lower bounds of the data to remove the statistical freaks (there were only 4 posts of that length on the Darwinia forums, the rest had less).

Nothing quoted is incorrect, they just used a slightly diffrent section of the data to end up as they are.

NeoThermic
DrDemento
level2
level2

Postby DrDemento » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:03 pm

Fair enough, I just wanted to make sure the argument was solid! Glad we've all justified our positions, nothing like a good peer review to keep off topic on track.

Darksun: Grizedale 'Owns' nothing, apart from a host of diseases. I concur, however, on the issue of ass munches forcing people to pay £90p/w to stay in a glorified bedsit: complete extortion. I vote you take down 'the man' in a huge 4 day long kung fu style killing spree, starting with the plonker who decided to tarmac over county field.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:31 pm

DrDemento wrote:Fair enough, I just wanted to make sure the argument was solid! Glad we've all justified our positions, nothing like a good peer review to keep off topic on track.

That just struck me as odd. We now strive to make a topic go off-topic, but make the off-topic stay on topic for its off-topic-ness. Odd eh?

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:40 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
DrDemento wrote:Fair enough, I just wanted to make sure the argument was solid! Glad we've all justified our positions, nothing like a good peer review to keep off topic on track.

That just struck me as odd. We now strive to make a topic go off-topic, but make the off-topic stay on topic for its off-topic-ness. Odd eh?

NeoThermic

I don't think it is odd, so much as even. Or possibly imaginary. Maybe trancendental?

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:46 pm

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:

NeoThermic

I don't think it is odd, so much as even. Or possibly imaginary. Maybe trancendental?

xander

Oh, belive me, it is all real...

NeoThermic
F.A.H.E.S.
level1
level1

Re: Nuclear Bomb Explosion Movies

Postby F.A.H.E.S. » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:26 am

Not all films in the list shows detailed detonations but all of them are very interesting (even the pulp movies^^) and even if some of them are not realistic or just propaganda.

Fictonal Movies "before the bomb - mad humans":

- Fail Safe (2000 - remake, USA)
-> watch

- Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964, GBR)

- Fail-Safe (1964 - original, USA)

Fictonal movies "before the bomb - mad computers":

- WarGames (1983, USA)

- Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970, USA)
-> watch

Fictional movies "after the bomb":

- Dead Man's Letters [Pisma myortvogo cheloveka] (1986, USSR)

- Threads (1984, GBR)
-> watch

- Testament (1983, USA)

- The Day After (1983, USA)
-> watch

- Malevil (1981, FRA/DEU)

- A Boy and His Dog (1975, USA)
-> watch

- The Bed Sitting Room (1969, GBR)
-> watch

- The War Game (1965, GBR)
-> watch

- On the Beach (1959, USA)
-> watch part 1
-> watch part 2

Fictional animated movies "after the bomb":

- When the Wind Blows (1986, GBR)
-> watch

- Barefoot Gen [Hadashi no Gen] (1983, JPN)
-> watch

Fictional pulp movies "after the bomb":

- Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991, USA)

- The Terminator (1984, USA)

- Beneath of the Planet of the Apes (1970, USA)

- Planet of the Apes (1968, USA)

Infotainment:

- The Atomic Cafe (1982, USA)
-> watch

- First Strike (1979, USA)
-> watch part 1
-> watch part 2
-> watch part 3
-> watch part 4

For REAL nuclear detonations in film, search on YouTube! Castle Brave, Castle Romeo, Crossroads Baker and Tsar Bomb are very interesting. The most interesting in my opninion is Upshot-Knothole Grable (the nuclear cannon) very detailed devastation szenes.

But there are a lot of more! Take a look at this list of nuclear weapon tests and search on YouTube for specific tests.

Visit our Steam group "ЅТЯАТЕGІС АІЯ СОММАИD" or my Steam profile "F.A.H.E.S." there are several links to YouTube videos of nuclear tests and some vintage civil defense films.
nuclear cocaine
level4
level4

Postby nuclear cocaine » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:37 am

NIce fhaes look up nuclear bomb accidents .... dumbasses droped a non armed bomb in newmexico lol also on bikini island tested one with specs to close to detination lol and they could see their bones through their skin like an exray lol
F.A.H.E.S.
level1
level1

Postby F.A.H.E.S. » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:44 am

Oh, the entire story of the Biki atoll and its natives is a very sad one... :cry:

For every one who doesn't know: Take a look at Wikipedia.

Return to “General”