On The Beach + Hello

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

MrBunsy
level5
level5

On The Beach + Hello

Postby MrBunsy » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:14 pm

I'm new to these forums, but ever since a friend of mine told me about Defcon I'd been mulling over an idea reguarding Nevil Shute's book, On The Beach and was curious about if it'd be possible or what you guys thought of it.

On The Beach was written during the 50s about WW3, the northern hemisphere obliterates itself with a nuclear war and most of the book is about a group of people living in Australia whilst the radiation levels rise. Aparently it's scientific rubbish but it made a good book. Anyway, the bit that got me thinking was the, albeit brief, descritption of how the war was thought to have started and finished. Egypt was meant to have bombed the UK using a Russian aircraft, so then NATO bombed Russia, who promptly bombed America. Then China used this has a chance to bomb Russia and Russia also bombed China in retaliation. Once what had actually happened had been realised it was a tad too late.

What I was wondering is if it would be possible to re-enact this war with Defcon. I've not read about being able to fake other Country's equipment and thought that if anyone knew that here'd be a good place to ask. Even if it's not possible, I'm really looking forward to Defcon, the alliance system sounds great, I can picture some pretty evil back stabbings happening . :D
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:19 am

It isn't possible to fake your units, however, it is more than possible to attack your allies, leading to some amazing retaliation ;)

NeoThermic
Cyberwarrior
level2
level2

Postby Cyberwarrior » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:23 pm

NeoThermic wrote:It isn't possible to fake your units, however, it is more than possible to attack your allies, leading to some amazing retaliation ;)

NeoThermic

And hopefully, some amazing expressions.

And some incredibly rude chat messages. Image
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:55 pm

NeoThermic wrote:than possible to attack your allies, leading to some amazing retaliation ;)
Not that'd they still be your allies after you attack them. Isn't the system more like risk (the board game) than any other game though? In that your alliance doesn't stand for anything more than one another's word.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:44 am

MrBunsy wrote:Isn't the system more like risk (the board game) than any other game though? In that your alliance doesn't stand for anything more than one another's word.

Not quite. Alliances share radar, thus if your alliance falls through, your oppoment knows exactly what you have and where.

NeoThermic

Return to “General”