Goodbye

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

The Reds
level2
level2

Goodbye

Postby The Reds » Sat May 15, 2010 8:17 pm

I haven't played Defcon officially since almost half a year.
Partly because I can never play a game with anyone cause I'm always on at the wrong time.
Also whenever I get on Defcon, I see 5 servers up and 2 servers with 2 players each.
Honestly, for my part, Defcon is dead in my area.
So... cheers, I'll always be on forums but rarely on game.
And finally goodbye and goodluck.

- .::The Reds::.
demokiwi
level0

Postby demokiwi » Sat May 15, 2010 8:36 pm

i would like to play defcon for more than a year but IV kicked the demoplyers out.
now the servers are empty.
Nightwatch
level5
level5

Postby Nightwatch » Sat May 15, 2010 9:25 pm

Well, you signed up for the tourney and never came back to arrange the matches.
What are you crying about?
The Reds
level2
level2

Postby The Reds » Sun May 16, 2010 4:36 am

Nightwatch, you fail to understand this don't you? I can't find anybody playing and I simply don't have time to play. I got things to do and thats why I couldn't go to the tourney. The reason of this is that, your not gonna find me on anymore. Crying? Haha not even close. Sad yes, but it's something I can't change.
ChemicalRascal
level1
level1

Postby ChemicalRascal » Mon May 17, 2010 5:07 am

The thing about empty servers is that they become an intense psychological barrier. How do you get people onto a server? Remove the barrier.

Here's a step-by-step guide to starting a non-organised game of DEFCON:

1. Enter an empty server.
2. Go down the street and buy a copy of the Times.
3. Come home.
4. Brew some coffee. (Optional)
5. Sit at computer, do the cryptic crossword in the Times. Pencil is recommended.
6. Look up at your computer to see that the server is suddenly full.
7. Click "Ready."

As I said, an empty server is an intense psychological barrier to those looking for a game. But when people see other people... Well, it's like bees to pollen.
The Reds
level2
level2

Postby The Reds » Mon May 17, 2010 5:20 am

Trust me, I been doing that since I started playing Defcon. And every time I do it, it takes longer. I been doing it to a point where 30 min. will only get you perhaps a player or sometimes nothing. I admire your enthusiasm, but it won't work :/
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Mon May 17, 2010 9:36 am

How come everytime i get on there is always a game filling up and 3 or 4 already playing. I mean its 4:35 AM (GMT -5) and im still looking at 4 games going. I just think that you are impatient.
The Reds
level2
level2

Postby The Reds » Tue May 18, 2010 2:20 am

Impatient? There is NOBODY ON, and I can never find one. Plus, I simply don't have time. I waste more time waiting for something than actually playing.
ChemicalRascal
level1
level1

Postby ChemicalRascal » Tue May 18, 2010 5:31 am

How long do you actually sit in the empty servers? Next time you do, make a note of the time, and perhaps even your local time zone.

Like I said, of course, you don't actually have to be sitting at your computer, boring holes into your computer screen with your eyeballs while you wait. Put a line in the chat saying that you're AFK and will only be checking the lobby every five minutes or so, get up, grab your iPod, and take your dog for a walk, the long way around the block. Walk down to the local milkbar, or whatever your nation's equivalent is, and buy some bread and margarine or something. Get outside! Breathe fresh air! Enjoy life!

Then, come back and nuke someone.
The Reds
level2
level2

Postby The Reds » Wed May 19, 2010 1:04 am

:lol: Silliest thing I've heard... I have done that before as I told you and I got kicked out of the servers when I got back. It happens all the time. People just don't wanna wait when someone gets out of AFK. They kick them out if they don't respond in 30 sec. I'll try what you say, but I have very little hope.
ChemicalRascal
level1
level1

Postby ChemicalRascal » Wed May 19, 2010 3:01 am

The Reds wrote::lol: Silliest thing I've heard... I have done that before as I told you and I got kicked out of the servers when I got back. It happens all the time. People just don't wanna wait when someone gets out of AFK. They kick them out if they don't respond in 30 sec. I'll try what you say, but I have very little hope.

Well, I will admit that you need to be vigilant and occasionally glance at your monitor while you wait for other people. If you go out for half an hour, of course you're gonna get kicked. But my point was that you can do other things while waiting for a game. After all, when you're boiling water, you don't stand at the kettle, hand poised awaiting the whistle, do you? No, you go and do something else, but you still pay a slight level of attention to the kettle.
The Reds
level2
level2

Postby The Reds » Fri May 21, 2010 7:02 am

I did it... It didn't work, there's no players in Bay Area. Unless if a new version of Defcon that comes out for 360 or something, I might go on every once and a while, but on computer it's impossible. I'm done man... :/
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri May 21, 2010 9:06 am

Umm, on the consoles, waiting for games is even worse. Can't do anything with the machine itself while you wait.

Return to “General”