The downside of 2v2 or 3v3 matches

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

TOM BUSCH-US
level2
level2

The downside of 2v2 or 3v3 matches

Postby TOM BUSCH-US » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:25 pm

The reason why I prefer 1v1 is that you can make your own split desions independanly without answering to anyone else. multible player games are fun too, unless you end up with an uber cocky teammate that spends most of the game dictating what you must do, & cloging up the chat screen ordering you around. This usually evolves into insults, when you dont want to be their bitch! It is also counterproductive & distracting to the war effort. there are no Gods playing this game and everyone playing regardless of skill level, are still in different stages of learning. :roll:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:47 pm

That's why you need to come to some sort of agreement at the very beginning. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Nightwatch
level5
level5

Postby Nightwatch » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:55 pm

You wan to win? Then listen.
If not, dont play with those who want.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:50 pm

Is it ok if I just want to listen?
level4
level4

Postby 47 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:49 am

Tom one thing that i learned in a 2 vs 2 is that communication is necessary...if you are refering to the game with eral last night then imo you did made few mistakes...

1. you never looked at WB
2. He asked you to stoped nuking japan but you still kept on doing it

so in one way he had a valid reason to bully you but on the other hand he was wrong cause he was being very rude...

Playing as a team means that if you know other player is better then you then listen....and let them know what you think and why..this can help you to avoid a lot of prob...
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:14 am

Tom, you are a terrible player, cause you are lazy as hell. I dont think there is a way around micromanaging as much as possible. 6 Players, Free for all, would be the game for you. Can someone bring it back please?
level4
level4

Postby 47 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:45 am

@Tom..after Playing with you today i can think of one thing...

1. you need to see more 2 vs 2 games with good players in them..see how they clean out cities...kill enemy fleets and stuff.... one thing today you could not understand was the reason that i asked you kill only 10 cities with silos....

if we look at it in this way we got this...

20 confirmed cities killed with population brought down to 0.2m or 0.3 max...
Challenge enemy navy if you can (you never engaged YC in proper fight)
Try to use bombers before defcon 1... you used a lot of fighters and had none left when you launched your bombers... its not very advisable
try to kill enemy cities with bombers that are not engaged in direct combat with enemy fleet... i.e. reserver carrers/ airbases...

remember hitting city will not get a lot of points.. as long as there is population there is points..so try to reduce cities to 0.1 m ...it will help to get points
Why?
level5
level5

Postby Why? » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:49 am

47, he's heard all of that several times before. He's just a lazy fucking moron. I'm still mortified that I lost to him in 1v1... I thought I could beat him with my eyes closed.
Zorotama
level5
level5

Postby Zorotama » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:04 am

I have to be disagree with these comments. I seen many times Tom playing style (and sometimes also talked a bit with him about it) and I think you don't consider his goal. As he said one time, he has Edward (and Bozo) as mentore. I think this means for him a free approach to the game, flexibility and unpredictability. I know well that there is only one Edward but noone can force him to change his model. As you all know, many matches of Ed end with many survivors (I mean in 1vs1 sure) cause he can give a fantastic chaos order, letal and often hard to understand, and he nukes cityes, navy and silos toghether. A sort of tzunami :). I think Tom wants the same. Looking a recording one time I said that the difference between Ed and Tom is the same between Picasso and a drawing child. But I can't forget that the real desire of picasso was to draw like a child. I support Tom, I can see his talent (sure, assuming that I have the talent to see).

Edit: His problem seems to be ironichally the absence of flexibility. Doing so a predictable unpredictability. But I think he will learn..
level4
level4

Postby 47 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:27 pm

@zoro

i disagree with you a lot here friend... for someone who has been playing defcon for some time you need to learn and learn fast.... unless you dont play to win... i have played tom 9 times in 1 vs 1... NOT ONCE HE HAS BEATEN ME.. reason being...his flexibilty/ unpredictility was this was this for me

sneaking 1 sub under my fleet or mabye 3.
damaging silos...but what will that birng :roll:
just look how he places fleet... arrrr... arent those bss too far.....carrers wont provide any support...

i never ask him to change but to understand... if you leave 20 enemy cities with 2 m population and ur enemy kill 10 cities with 0.1 m population... you both are on same points or almost near it... just hitting cities with 1 or 2 nukes will not bring points or let you win the game..i dont mind his flexibility but learning is important.. if you don then you are not playing to win.. you are playing to sped time and if this is what Tom wants then fine i take my words back...
Red Button
level3
level3

Postby Red Button » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:28 pm

I dont understand the whole discussion from both sides..

Some take the game more seriouse, than me. Some will be way better in everything.. Some will just play and have fun.. Some - as me- like to play 2 vs 2 and do a lot of talking and communicating while playing.. Others are diffrent..´

If u know Tom, that u dont like to play 2 vs 2 , then dont.. If u know, with which players u get along.. choose them as teammates.. I dont see a game, what will be lost clearly from minute 1 we play as a lost game.. If only winning is fun.. than u take this game way to seriouse. Course its nice.. but if I think about my top 2 games (fun is concerned) then I remember a game with MrMot vs Night and I am not sure about it, but Shai.. It was clear nearly from the beginning.. But hey, Motty and me, we had sooooo much fun.. just combining our fleets and pissing one of the players off by launching EVERYThing on him :)

To sum things up.. I play with u Tom ;) everbody should accept the diffrent personality of other players..

AND.... Leaving a game after it started just because u are playing with a player u dont like.. REALLY pisses me off..
TOM BUSCH-US
level2
level2

WoW there apears to be some negativity afloat

Postby TOM BUSCH-US » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:53 pm

First of all,Defcon is a Game! Not a career opportunity! I have a very busy life that extends outside the life of this game. I know that Redbutton would agree with me on this, and he knows more about me personally than most.In other words,he doesn't prejudge without all the facts.I have learned alot and will continue to learn with more practice be a better player.For now, a new quarter-of-a-million dollar home, 2nd year of post graduate studies in the form of law school, and countless other pursuits keep me from my goal of being a professional Defcon player. I applaud those that have the moral courage on this forum that are humble and offer (constructive) non abusive criticism such as recived from Zorro, red Button and others that are not insecure and ignorant. keep it up you have my respect. Others like WHY? are well Irrelevant, insecure, defiant,trailer trash, arrogant, ignorant, hateful,spiteful, poor loser, and countless other more colorful descriptive words that I am at liberty to mention but won't in the interest of getting back to the point. Let let me conclude with a Biblical reference. "let he who is free of sin cast the first stone" What we all need on this game is more respectful & tolarant of everyone's winning curve! The next negative non productive and futile remark on this forum after what I have written here will speak volumes about that individuals mental state! cheers gentleman!
level4
level4

Postby 47 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:20 am

i wonder where i fall in all this.... :roll:
trekdude31415
level1
level1

Re: WoW there apears to be some negativity afloat

Postby trekdude31415 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:53 am

TOM BUSCH-US wrote:don't criticize others without all the facts, also here's some criticism of why? et al. without all the facts: bla bla bla

^hypocrisy 8)
TOM BUSCH-US
level2
level2

Postby TOM BUSCH-US » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:58 pm

Why? wrote:47, he's heard all of that several times before. He's just a lazy fucking moron. I'm still mortified that I lost to him in 1v1... I thought I could beat him with my eyes closed.

it's not Hypocrisy when it's based on a steady consistency of easily provable facts of how he treats myself & others on a regular basis, as evidenced on this very thread! Also Trek if you are indeed a seeker of truth and are not biased then research it yourself And start by actually carefully reading what I wrote without misquoting me.

Return to “General”