General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

iRadiated
level2
level2

Bug/Exploit

Postby iRadiated » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:37 pm

Hi Chaps
Played a game yesterday against a player called Yahoo.
I was Russia and he was EU and I was hoping inflict upon Yahoo the pain that was inflicted upon me recently when I was EU.
Unfortunately for me, Yahoo was able to get his bombers in to that black area right at the top of the screen

He was able to kill most of my fleet and all I could do was to try and back my fleet away from his bombers without much success
I couldn't target his bombers with my fighters because I couldn't see them and I couldn't send my own fighters into that area in the hopes that they might automatically target them.

It looked to me that he was expoiting a bug in the game and needless to say I lost that match.

Anyone else come across this ?

Is it something you can do deliberately or did Yahoo just take advantage of a temporary glitch in the game ?
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:13 pm

Was this on a dedcon server? If so, which one?
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:22 pm

Don't position your fleet near the black zones :P

It was heard of, but I don't know whether you can do it on regular basis.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:25 pm

Like you cant send fighters in that area u cant send bombers there. They have to make some kind of maneuver to end up there. I dont know if there is a sure way to force this, but i know that it happens alot without purpose.
Mr Krinkle
level1
level1

Postby Mr Krinkle » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:09 pm

Funnily enough this happened with the same setup in my first ladder match (I think it was this one, otherwise it was the one I played where you were EU it was your bombers):

http://sfcon2v2.com/dcrec/Ladder/Ace2v2 ... .13.35.zip
iRadiated
level2
level2

Postby iRadiated » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:56 pm

It was on the dedcon 2v2 High Latency server.
There are 2 of them but I can't remember which one of the two.

Mr Krinkle, I doubt whether I managed to do this to you.
I very rarely launch bombers to attack ships because I'm not too good at coordinating them.

I usually just nuke the sea.

If I did do this to you then it was without my knowledge and definitely not deliberately.
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:23 pm

Thanks to tell me about the time and the server name "Fair or Default" to post the link about the game..
Mr Krinkle
level1
level1

Postby Mr Krinkle » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:30 am

Oh, I wasn't saying you did it deliberately if it was you, just that it happened. Sometimes when you send bombers to the edge of the map and then target something at the right angle bombers can swing off the map before coming back in. When it happened in that game I just thought it was one of those things, not that it had been done deliberately! :D
X-Ray
level2
level2

Postby X-Ray » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:59 am

rus|Mike wrote:Don't position your fleet near the black zones :P

It was heard of, but I don't know whether you can do it on regular basis.

trickser wrote:Like you cant send fighters in that area u cant send bombers there. They have to make some kind of maneuver to end up there. I dont know if there is a sure way to force this, but i know that it happens alot without purpose.

Yes, you can do it on a regular basis and force it. This is easy to do and it is done on all servers.

Just target your bombers in such a manner that when they reach their target, they will be in a position to circle around and end up in the black zone.

Then to keep them in the black zone, simply manipulate their flight path by selecting different targets close to the black zone.

If you know how to manipulate their flight path appropriately, you can keep them up there until they run out of fuel.

You can also send fighters in the black zone, although it is improbable to make them effective unless you keep manipulating their flight path accordingly.

The bombers will fire on ships and they will launch nukes while in the black zone. However, while the firing is accurate in the black zone, the launching of nukes is not since the nukes will go ballistic if launched in the black zone. If you launch the nukes right when you cross out of the black zone, they will hit where you want.

The photos below illustrate the aforementioned:

EDIT: Added some more photos
Last edited by X-Ray on Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spacemonkey
level4
level4

Postby Spacemonkey » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:47 am

What's North of the North pole?

My Bombers, hahaha!
Why?
level5
level5

Postby Why? » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:58 am

It's a well-known exploit and can be considered cheating. However, it can happen by accident, very easily.

You'll notice that bombers have a set turn radius... if you send your bombers to the edge of the map, at a certain angle, they will turn into the black and then you can control them...

Fighters can be sent into the black as well, but they can't shoot. They can see the bombers, tho. It should be noted that bombers can't launch nukes in the black...
X-Ray
level2
level2

Postby X-Ray » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:14 am

Spacemonkey wrote:What's North of the North pole?

My Bombers, hahaha!

LOL SpaceMonkey.

iRadiated
    level2
    level2

Postby iRadiated » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:33 am

thanks xray. Very illuminating.

If one or two bombers get there then I'd be willing to give the benefit of doubt and say they got there accidentally but Yahoo had his whole bomber force up there. Also if I'd accidentally got them up there then I'd personally do my best to get them out again or restart the game if lots of enemy fleet was destroyed but he went after a secondary fleet I had up north that was well behind the rest. In essence he exploited that bug a second time

I'm going to consider Yahoo a cheat
    - Tobias -
    level3
    level3

Postby - Tobias - » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:36 pm

iRadiated wrote:I'm going to consider Yahoo a cheat
    Harsh.

Thanks X-Ray for the detailed explanation.

Unlike some exploits, I see this one as rather symmetrical and benign in that it is equally available to the relevant players. While it may change the nature of the EUROPE<->RUSSIA confrontation somewhat, either or both players can employ it. A "cheat", to me at least, provides some asymmetrical advantage.

But even asymmetrical exploits need to be adapted to. After a while you get used to these and they become a bit like saying you don't like the land configuration of EUROPE. They are just part of the game, they happen, you get over your surprise, and you adapt.
    Last edited by - Tobias - on Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Gulidar
    level4
    level4

Postby Gulidar » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:39 pm

- Tobias - wrote:But even asymmetrical exploits need to be adapted to. After a while you get used to these and they become a bit like saying you don't like the land configuration of EUROPE. They are just part of the game, they happen, you get over your surprise, and you adapt.

We could call jumping nuke, hiding nukes without firing them and all other things not bugs "just piece of game", or sea units travelling by sea, but we dont. Because theese are bugs and we call people who understand it and still uses them cheaters.
    What is the death of one world in the cause of purity?

Return to “General”