Yet more fan art

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Fri May 26, 2006 6:03 pm

xander wrote:
mibias wrote:Thats some great drawing! Im amazed how many danishs are showing up here... soon we will dominate EVERY POST ON THE FORUM MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :twisted:

Not if I have anything to say about it! For I am SPAMZOR! MASTER OF SPAM! FEAR ME!

Urp... uh... nothing to see here, please move along.

xander

Yes. Mr Second Place.

Anyway, according to the info I've got infront of me, the Danish are 10th in terms of visitors. You've got a long way to go to over take people above you, including the United Kingdom, who have five times more hits than you ;)

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri May 26, 2006 6:25 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Yes. Mr Second Place.

Second? I thought I was a bit lower than that... SBM is number one (and always will be, in my book <3 <3 <3 )

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Fri May 26, 2006 6:29 pm

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:Yes. Mr Second Place.

Second? I thought I was a bit lower than that... SBM is number one (and always will be, in my book <3 <3 <3 )

xander

I mean here, on these forums ;)

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri May 26, 2006 6:31 pm

NeoThermic wrote:

NeoThermic

Ah. I see. Of course, I am still doing rather well for someone who is not in the beta, and can't post in two of the sub-forums. :P

xander
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Fri May 26, 2006 6:33 pm

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:

NeoThermic

Ah. I see. Of course, I am still doing rather well for someone who is not in the beta, and can't post in two of the sub-forums. :P

xander

Doesn't that classifiy you as a spammer though? ;)

NeoThermic
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri May 26, 2006 6:37 pm

NeoThermic wrote:Doesn't that classifiy you as a spammer though? ;)

NeoThermic

I believe that was the point I was trying to make when I stated "I AM SPAMZOR!" Though you do have to admit that at least 10% of what I write is on topic. Speaking of which, who is the green dude supposed to represent? Who is he based upon? Also, what is the problem with using the pseudo-silhouettes of famouse people? When I think Communist Russia, the image you have created is the only one that I can think of -- Stalin, Khruchev, Brezhnev, &c. all looked about like that -- same with Mao and China. Kennedy is immediately recognizable, and perhaps an Eisenhower sillhouette would be better (fitting the theme of generals), but I think that it is a good image, none the less. I don't see copyright being a problem, as people use images of past American presidents in advertising all the time (I know I have seen Wasington and Lincoln in advertising, as well as both Roosevelts, Regan (though probably with his estate's premission), Kennedy, and Jefferson). What's the big deal?

xander

EDIT: Note, I am not asking the question to suggest that images of past leaders should be used, especially in the case of Defcon, which seems much less tied to actual, real-world politics; I am honestly curious about the legal issues surrounding the use of images of past leaders.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Fri May 26, 2006 6:46 pm

xander wrote:
NeoThermic wrote:Doesn't that classifiy you as a spammer though? ;)

NeoThermic

I believe that was the point I was trying to make when I stated "I AM SPAMZOR!" Though you do have to admit that at least 10% of what I write is on topic.

So you've only written a shade under 20 posts that are on topic?

xander wrote:Also, what is the problem with using the pseudo-silhouettes of famouse people?

I think it has to do with the fact that some of these images are not exactly public domain, and hence any derivitave work from these images would be illegal.

NeoThermic
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Fri May 26, 2006 7:12 pm

Another thing? Xander's slipping...

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri May 26, 2006 7:18 pm

NeoThermic wrote:I think it has to do with the fact that some of these images are not exactly public domain, and hence any derivitave work from these images would be illegal.

Ah. That would make sense.

xander
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Fri May 26, 2006 7:28 pm

The reason why I posted the "green guy" was to illustrate what it would be like if you used a siluete of a unknown person. It still somewhat works but not in the same degree to when useing a know person (you don't get the "hey that kinda looks like..." effect).

From what I've heard (and might not be true) using a country's flag is allowed and pictures that are public domain. But better safe than sorry so I'll try and contact the danish copyright administration and learn a bit more. If it's not allowed I guess I'll just have to make some dictators / president / generals and symbols up.
- Morten
------------------
RedCell.dk
Zarkow
level4
level4

Postby Zarkow » Sat May 27, 2006 6:18 pm

Acctually, there is no legal limits against using the original posters. They are clerly derived work, but there is no laws against making derived or inspired art.

If there was, Andy Warhol would be in a heap of trubble.
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Sat May 27, 2006 7:28 pm

That's properbly true for art, but weather or not the same rules apply for advertisement in not quite sure of. I'm deffinetely looking forward to getting a final awnser to this, hate this uncertainty.
- Morten

------------------

RedCell.dk
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Sun May 28, 2006 10:39 am

NeoThermic wrote:

Yes. Mr Second Place.

Anyway, according to the info I've got infront of me, the Danish are 10th in terms of visitors. You've got a long way to go to over take people above you, including the United Kingdom, who have five times more hits than you ;)

NeoThermic

hmm... yes youre probaly right... but what if i tell my friends of this forum, and they tell their friends, and they tell their friends, and they tell their friends and thats how it will continue until all the people in denmark who have internet will be on theese forums muahahaahah!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Sun May 28, 2006 11:02 am

Ooh, get you.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Sun May 28, 2006 8:02 pm

The last 3 continents are done, You can see them on the first page. Just need to make some small finishing touches and then its wallpaper time.

Now if you would excuse me, I think I need to get away from this square-box-shaped-thingy-with-odd-clicky-thing-in-front...

Return to “General”