I have been banned from the SF servers

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:09 pm

Your post doesn't need a keen eye to understand.

"We will leave it at that"
Who is we? Your acting like you've put me in my place and I'm just too stupid to understand it.
If that is what you think, then fine we will leave it at that, because I really could care less right now.

I'm done going back and forth between the same fools.
(MOR)
level5
level5

Re: 2v2

Postby (MOR) » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:11 pm

X-Ray wrote:..... checking key ids so you eliminate someone's strategic decision to play as an alias is an abuse of admin privileges. Especially when the others can't check everyone else's key ids. In other words, you personally could play with an alias (and you do often), but the others cannot successfully do the same because you're secretly checking the key ids.

It's now obvious why you and/or others log in as Admin and then log out soon thereafter, it's to break down the others' aliases while you maintain your own.

I think this an old subject but I'm agree with "each one is free to hide him self to play quiet"
    I was one from the first Players who tried to hide them selfs and thier tactics at the game and I think this was a right and not a cheat..
    I was also absurd sometime when I check the keyID's of the others to have an idea with who i'm playing, and it was an "admin power abuse" and I admit it..

sfericz wrote:What spamming incident are you talking about?? I can't be everywhere at once!

What mean "insulting the others and keeping the game at pause without any reason.." ?
    - Tobias -
    level3
    level3

Postby - Tobias - » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:16 pm

Why? wrote:The only one who I've ever seen complain, is Tobias and he's notorious for quitting early when he doesn't like the setup! I've seen him do it twice, myself..maybe more, because he's always hiding behind an alias.

Why? this is complete nonsense. I have never once quit early because of a poor set-up (because I win in them all). Your special bug about my use of aliases disconfirms your contention anyway. If I were to quit early it would be before revealing my true identity, so how would you know it's me? Of course it is never me, because I don't quit early unless there are server issues or other players quit first. You place both your memory or your integrity on the line when you make such unsubtantiated false claims.
    X-Ray
    level2
    level2

Postby X-Ray » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:30 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:
    X-Ray wrote:You should ask Bert some assistance with the configurations of the Dedcon servers and the options they offer, as you are mistaken when you say it is impossible to find the key id after someone quits.

Partly. They are in the logs and recordings, but the remote admins don't have access to those. So if the admins are supposed to turn in reports of griefers and their KeyIDs, they have to check them before people quit.

On the Alias thing, On a FFA server, using an alias if you're a well know player can have the legit purpose of keeping you off everyone's priority target list. Especially on Diplomacy servers.
    But SFCONs are team duels only, right? Then aliases truly only serve one purpose: to lure the enemy into underestimating you. I frown on this.

Of course they could setup Dedcon to generate specific griefer reports/logs related to early quitters, which was Battletron's reason for banning Tobias (not saying it's true). However, if they are selectively policing the SFCON servers and making determinations of what they consider griefing, then it's just as easy to write down the person's name and time of the game when this violation occurs. Then Sfericz could look at the log of that game and obtain the key id for banning purposes, while at the same time having the opportunity to read the chat related to accusations of griefing. (Constructive Criticism.)

As far as aliases are concerned, I agree with most of what you said Bert. I would only add that aliases in a 2v2 game should not be frowned upon because a particular player may have a routine method of attack and if the others know who he is, they would anticipate that. Another reason could be that the other team gangs up on the known good player, and leave the other noob player for last. If someone underestimates a player and somehow plays less than they normally would, then that is their mistake and why aliases keep it exciting. Anyway, this is my personal view, that's all.

Last edited by X-Ray on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
      - Tobias -
      level3
      level3

Postby - Tobias - » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:33 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:But SFCONs are team duels only, right? Then aliases truly only serve one purpose: to lure the enemy into underestimating you. I frown on this.

Bert: What, you don't like the lure? I put a bs out there to make you think I have a whole fleet. Then I counter-bomb your attack on my non-existent fleet. You don't like this either? While you may frown upon aliases is 2v2, it is a legitimate tactic available to all. Admin abuse of checking keyID's in games where the Admin is also a player seeks individual player advantage which is not available to all. The "issue" of identifying spammers and the like is a red herring. Spammers can be identified after they begin spamming (not at game start). And, having played countless Defcon games, I see so few of these people left anyway that this is a poor excuse for sacrificing game integrity.
      Last edited by - Tobias - on Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
      X-Ray
      level2
      level2

Re: 2v2

Postby X-Ray » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:35 pm

(MOR) wrote:
      X-Ray wrote:..... checking key ids so you eliminate someone's strategic decision to play as an alias is an abuse of admin privileges. Especially when the others can't check everyone else's key ids. In other words, you personally could play with an alias (and you do often), but the others cannot successfully do the same because you're secretly checking the key ids.

It's now obvious why you and/or others log in as Admin and then log out soon thereafter, it's to break down the others' aliases while you maintain your own.

I think this an old subject but I'm agree with "each one is free to hide him self to play quiet"

I was one from the first Players who tried to hide them selfs and thier tactics at the game and I think this was a right and not a cheat..

I was also absurd sometime when I check the keyID's of the others to have an idea with who i'm playing, and it was an "admin power abuse" and I admit it..

Thank you MOR for admitting that.

That's what I was trying to tell Sfericz before he freaked out like a juvenile.

- Tobias -
          level3
          level3

Postby - Tobias - » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:44 pm

X-Ray wrote:Of course they could setup Dedcon to generate specific griefer reports/logs related to early quitters, which was Battletron's reason for banning Tobias.

X-ray: don't be so naive. Since I do not generally quit early, no such "automatic" log could exist. I believe Bender has reincarnated himself as this server crew.
          Last edited by - Tobias - on Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
          X-Ray
          level2
          level2

Postby X-Ray » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:49 pm

- Tobias - wrote:
          X-Ray wrote:Of course they could setup Dedcon to generate specific griefer reports/logs related to early quitters, which was Battletron's reason for banning Tobias.

X-ray: don't be so naive. Since I do not generally quit early, no such "automatic" log could exist.

Tobias, you misunderstood what I said.

I don't know if you quit early or not. Wasn't there.

It's what Battletron said was his reason to ban you.

Anyway, I was just saying that if that was their concern for logging in, then this could be taken care of through Dedcon's configuration.

- Tobias -
            level3
            level3

Postby - Tobias - » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:53 pm

X-Ray wrote:Anyway, I was just saying that if that was their concern for logging in, then this could be taken care of through Dedcon's configuration.

Yes, I did misunderstand, and this would be a fine solution provided it is truly automatic without ill-intentioned human intervention.
            Ace Rimmer
            level5
            level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:06 pm

I don't really care one way or another 'cause it's not my server, but all of this is really silly. Does it really matter why you get banned? It's not your server either and you therefore have zero rights to it.

Dedcons are a free service to the Defcon public (thank you bert/IV!!!) and in order to run one you need a Defcon key. Unless it's your Defcon key running the server, publicly complaining is foolish. If the servers are run with "ill intentions", people will stop playing on them. That's called a self correcting error. :wink:
            Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
            bert_the_turtle
            level5
            level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:06 pm

- Tobias - wrote:
            bert_the_turtle wrote:But SFCONs are team duels only, right? Then aliases truly only serve one purpose: to lure the enemy into underestimating you. I frown on this.

Bert: What, you don't like the lure? I put a bs out there to make you think I have a whole fleet.
            Straw man. Your example is in the game, where of course it is perfectly fine regular strategy. Hiding behind an alias is on a totally different level where you don't fight against a person's military cunning, but on his dedication. People have lives outside of this game. If I was still playing, I'd like to be able to play the occasional easy game against a random person where I don't have to spend half of the time on 1x micromanaging my fleet to my feeble approximation of perfection. Just because it's a tactic open to everyone doesn't imply it's ethical. Locking a game to 1x also was a tactic available to everyone once, if you may remember. Like the alias trick, it's not an attack on the enemy military force inside the game, but on a player's time.

(Those of you who also read the MW forums may remember my recent post about changing your name in the upcoming tournament where I argue that it's OK if the server will allow it; the difference is that it's a tournament, and you should not expect an easy game in a tournament anyway and always do your best. Plus, there's no simulation speed management in MW.)
            Eral
            level4
            level4

Postby Eral » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:31 pm

Forrest Krunk wrote:Enjoy exile jackass. :x

He will be back.... :lol:

MORE SERIOUSLY:

You all don't want to solve this problem in a great diplo game? With aliases on a "neutral" server? :)
            wesgould
            level2
            level2

very sorry

Postby wesgould » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:01 pm

Just to let everyone know I am very sorry for upsetting Tobias. I bought this game in april and come to find some very good friends here and for the most part being an admin is a privlage that I honour. I remember the day I ask sfericz to help with ths project and co=oping in paying for the bandwidth. When I look at id's i realy dont think i use this to abuse but if it is I should not be admin. So all do respect I have offered an opology to tobias even though he say's i should grow up, and after his posting of me publicly there is something that shouldnt be ignored. Defcon is the best game i have ever played and wish only too enjoy the game so please Tobias lets start over ???
            - Tobias -
            level3
            level3

Postby - Tobias - » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:01 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:Straw man.

Yes, that's it.

bert_the_turtle wrote: my recent post about changing your name in the upcoming tournament where I argue that it's OK if the server will allow it; the difference is that it's a tournament

A rather fine distinction you make here. Can't I consider all my games tournament-like?

Ace Rimmer wrote: publicly complaining is foolish. If the servers are run with "ill intentions", people will stop playing on them. That's called a self correcting error. :wink:

Only if people know what's up. Publicity saves a lot of heartache in the long run. I have made an accusation and I stand behind it: admin power is abused on SFCON servers. Such tendencies typically resurface. Play 'em at your own risk.
            - Tobias -
            level3
            level3

Re: very sorry

Postby - Tobias - » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:09 pm

wesgould wrote: so please Tobias lets start over ???

Look pal, I had already put the keyID / outing of aliases issue behind me and learned to accept that as a price to play in games with you, but your unwarranted banning of me was too much. Let the whole truth be known. You threw a hissy fit and banned me for no cause. But we are all imperfect, so of course I forgive. Just know, you step on me I scream. Loudly.

Return to “General”