Silly, unreasonable idea

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Cheshyr
level1
level1

Silly, unreasonable idea

Postby Cheshyr » Thu May 25, 2006 3:22 am

I would be so amused if Chris put in an espionage option in Defcon where we could post jobs on an Uplink bbs to sabotage, misdirect, etc enemy nukes. :-p Crossovers are scary.
If you drink, don't park. Accidents cause people.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Thu May 25, 2006 5:15 am

You say this, but there are a few crossovers already.

Darwin Research Associates is a company that is mentioned in both Uplink and Darwinia.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Babylon5
level5
level5

Postby Babylon5 » Thu May 25, 2006 9:16 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some connections between the games in Defcon.

No, I have NOT fixed my speakers.
thaimodz
level1
level1

Postby thaimodz » Fri May 26, 2006 2:37 pm

Darwinia is, well, to say, like a part of the IV universe some years after Uplink. So it's likely that Uplink Corp will stay and still get contracts and recruits.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri May 26, 2006 2:46 pm

thaimodz wrote:Darwinia is, well, to say, like a part of the IV universe some years after Uplink. So it's likely that Uplink Corp will stay and still get contracts and recruits.

Actually, unless my understaning of the timeline is way off, Darwinia is set today, not in the future. Uplink is 10 years off (well, less now). Thus, Darwinia is first, then Uplink. On the other hand, I could be way off base. TGF did use the idea that the virus is Revelation.

xander
LLamaBoy
level5
level5

Postby LLamaBoy » Fri May 26, 2006 9:36 pm

xander wrote:
thaimodz wrote:Darwinia is, well, to say, like a part of the IV universe some years after Uplink. So it's likely that Uplink Corp will stay and still get contracts and recruits.

Actually, unless my understaning of the timeline is way off, Darwinia is set today, not in the future. Uplink is 10 years off (well, less now). Thus, Darwinia is first, then Uplink. On the other hand, I could be way off base. TGF did use the idea that the virus is Revelation.

xander

The timeline I have in my head is thus:
  • 20 years ago: Dr. Sepulveda brings out Protologic 68000, which mega-flops worldwide, forcing him and his machines into obscurity.
  • ~11 years ago: The Doctor, after years of playing with all the leftover systems, discovers their design quirk that causes quantum processing when networked.
  • 10 years ago: Sepulveda begins experimenting with the processing power of the Protologics and artificial intelligence.
  • Release of Darwinia (1 year ago): After a decade of evolution, the still simple Darwinians are assaulted by a virus which the player helps fight off. This provides the Darwinians with ample data for much faster evolution.
  • 2010, date of Uplink: Dr. Sepulveda founds Darwin Research Associates. The Darwinians are hugely evolved and applications of their intelligence are being researched/invented. A hacker steals this data and (ironically) the Darwinians get turned into part part of a worldwide virus outbreak.

It wouldn't surprise me if all future computers in Uplink made use of the Protologic architecture to achieve extra fast speeds, hence the common term of Gigaquad in both Darwinia and Uplink. (Yes, I am aware it is used in other fiction, such as Star Trek)
SuVir
level2
level2

Postby SuVir » Fri May 26, 2006 10:04 pm

2010, date of Uplink: Dr. Sepulveda founds Darwin Research Associates.

Check the back of the darwinia box - Darwin Research Associates was probably founded when Dr. Sepulveda started experimenting.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri May 26, 2006 10:06 pm

LLamaBoy wrote:The timeline I have in my head is thus:
  • 20 years ago: Dr. Sepulveda brings out Protologic 68000, which mega-flops worldwide, forcing him and his machines into obscurity.
  • ~11 years ago: The Doctor, after years of playing with all the leftover systems, discovers their design quirk that causes quantum processing when networked.
  • 10 years ago: Sepulveda begins experimenting with the processing power of the Protologics and artificial intelligence.
  • Release of Darwinia (1 year ago): After a decade of evolution, the still simple Darwinians are assaulted by a virus which the player helps fight off. This provides the Darwinians with ample data for much faster evolution.
  • 2010, date of Uplink: Dr. Sepulveda founds Darwin Research Associates. The Darwinians are hugely evolved and applications of their intelligence are being researched/invented. A hacker steals this data and (ironically) the Darwinians get turned into part part of a worldwide virus outbreak.

It wouldn't surprise me if all future computers in Uplink made use of the Protologic architecture to achieve extra fast speeds, hence the common term of Gigaquad in both Darwinia and Uplink. (Yes, I am aware it is used in other fiction, such as Star Trek)

I am inclined to agree with you on that one, though I think that Dr. S begins using Darwinia components much earlier. I am also inclined to believe that DRA was created in the last five years or so, to help fund his work with Darwinia -- thus, it is around at the time of Darwinia.

xander

EDIT: What SuVir said. That wasn't fair, posting while I was writing :P
LLamaBoy
level5
level5

Postby LLamaBoy » Fri May 26, 2006 11:00 pm

SuVir wrote:
2010, date of Uplink: Dr. Sepulveda founds Darwin Research Associates.

Check the back of the darwinia box - Darwin Research Associates was probably founded when Dr. Sepulveda started experimenting.

Ah, fair enough, I missed that detail on the box, no mention of it in the manual :P

I imagine that DRA didn't become very big until after the events of Darwinia that showed the Darwinian's survival instinct and adaptability though.

Not sure where Defcon could fit into the timeline of of the unIVerse (see what I did there?). Maybe due to a worldwide communication breakdown after Revelation, automated defense systems got triggered, or even taken over by the intelligent virus. Meaning that the players would be Darwinians waging war against humanity... Nah, sounds too cliché.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri May 26, 2006 11:06 pm

LLamaBoy wrote:Not sure where Defcon could fit into the timeline of of the unIVerse (see what I did there?). Maybe due to a worldwide communication breakdown after Revelation, automated defense systems got triggered, or even taken over by the intelligent virus. Meaning that the players would be Darwinians waging war against humanity... Nah, sounds too cliché.

It is also possible that there is no unIVerse, and that the events in Defcon do not relate to the events in Darwinia or Uplink. From the screenshots that I have seen, the national boundaries are those that would have existed after WWII, but before the fall of Soviet Russia (give or take). It is set in the real world Cold War, and is something of a "What If" scenerio.

xander
LLamaBoy
level5
level5

Postby LLamaBoy » Fri May 26, 2006 11:20 pm

xander wrote:
LLamaBoy wrote:Not sure where Defcon could fit into the timeline of of the unIVerse (see what I did there?). Maybe due to a worldwide communication breakdown after Revelation, automated defense systems got triggered, or even taken over by the intelligent virus. Meaning that the players would be Darwinians waging war against humanity... Nah, sounds too cliché.

It is also possible that there is no unIVerse, and that the events in Defcon do not relate to the events in Darwinia or Uplink. From the screenshots that I have seen, the national boundaries are those that would have existed after WWII, but before the fall of Soviet Russia (give or take). It is set in the real world Cold War, and is something of a "What If" scenerio.

xander

But then you've got the question of Africa with nuclear capabilities. I realise it's simply a gameplay mechanic to have the 6 regions, but it could be explained that the Protologic technology, being both extremely cheap (20 year-old hardware) and hugely efficient, brought a kind of worldwide prosperity that enabled all countries to develop rapidly before the events of Defcon.

Anyway, all this is just my brain-spooge, I enjoy thinking up alternative stories and tie-ins. IV have every right to choose their own story for their games, but if they take mine, I'm expecting royalties :P.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sat May 27, 2006 12:05 am

How about Defcon takes place a few days after the final act in Uplink if you play ARC? I mean, without the internet, what else do you do for fun other than blowing the shit out of each other with nukes?

NeoThermic
FinnG
level3
level3

Postby FinnG » Sat May 27, 2006 2:43 pm

I'll second that ^^
Finn
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat May 27, 2006 3:34 pm

FinnG wrote:I'll second that ^^

A motion has been made and seconded. All in favor, say "Aye."

xander
Zarkow
level4
level4

Postby Zarkow » Sat May 27, 2006 6:02 pm

Robin Hood: Are you with me? Yea or Nay?
Villager: Well which one means yes?
Robin Hood: Yea.

Return to “General”