General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

phase5
level1
level1

kick players in game

Postby phase5 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:49 pm

Hello,
is it possible to kick annoying, vulgar persons while they are in game, by bertis_bot?
I tried it once and it failed. neither I as admin coud kick this person during the game

BooOOooM
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:52 pm

No, that is impossible by design. It would be too easy to abuse. Against verbal assaults, there's /ignore.
phase5
level1
level1

Postby phase5 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:08 pm

would it be then possible to take at least a vote to kick out? I mean in general I should be able as admin to kick unwanted guys from my server without just reloading it in order to make the ban valit,- any work around, like admin a spectator how can kick him?

PS: very fast reply man

BooOOooM
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:13 pm

Votes would be exactly the thing that could be abused to get rid of good players.

Oh, and I was wrong :) An admin that is currently a spectator can kick players anytime.
phase5
level1
level1

Postby phase5 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:20 pm

so -- how could i grant then my bot admin rights in order to react on things like "!kick player"?
looks like by default he as not exactly admin right right_?
I mean your (my) bot is a spectator - -right?

BooOOooM
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:38 pm

The bot is not a person and cannot be granted admin rights :) You really need an admin spectator to kick players.
X-Ray
level2
level2

Postby X-Ray » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:13 am

I agree with Bert.

Kicking players in the middle of a game is a formula for disaster.

phase5
    level1
    level1

Postby phase5 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:30 am

:roll: ok, then I still need to restart the whole server (kicking 6 players in steat of 1) just becasue of one idiot -- nice
    ohh -- I forgot option 2) starting a 2nd session which takes ages to sync the game to finally give theis 2nd session admin rights to kickban fishes.

come on!!! every propper game has kickvotes - not only befor the game and usually nobosy kicks anybody for non reason --

sry -- but that is poor!

BooOOooM
    bert_the_turtle
    level5
    level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:09 am

What exactly would that griefer be doing? Against chat abuse, there's ignore. Against realtime abuse, there's the budget or MinGameSpeed.
    phase5
    level1
    level1

Postby phase5 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:32 am

- nuking himself (messing up the game) has nothing to do with the game anymore.
    - cheating with 2nd demo login -- yes I know I can avoid it -- but I do not want as there are other players where two persons connecting from the same lan (and that is OK)
    - blocking the server, not leaving the game after this is over ( but I guess I could work around this problem somehow with WaitEnd, WaitSecounds, quit)
    - trying permanently faking /setscore, not leaving until all others gave up and leave -- of course I can ban him after -- NO in case of a demo, steem user i cannot, banning a ip range is not an option
    - buguse (ships over land) has nothing to do with "good players" but more with a search of "defcon cheat" in youtube.com - yes naviBlacklists some of those "bugs" are ok as long it does not go over land
    - what is about password guessing? -- I seen running someone a script (nobody can type that fast) trying to gues the server password -- yes -- he had no chance becasue it was locked by keyid, however -- even the try is not accaptable.
    for sure there are some more reasons ...

A admin should be realy in FULL controll of its server. And it would be not in interesst of the admin to kick "good players" because they are good -- the result would be that those guys would not come back to this server and good servers lifes from good players

:evil:

... I am sure few of the reasons you can answer, but I am also sure that there are some witch are solid

BooOOooM
    bert_the_turtle
    level5
    level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:11 am

phase5 wrote:- nuking himself (messing up the game) has nothing to do with the game anymore.
    In any game with more than two players, what you do does not only affect your own chance of winning vs the others, but also shifts the others' relative chances of winning. Self nuking is only one of the extreme forms of that. Where do you draw the line? Plus, a kick will not stop self-nuking already in process. The CPU replacement won't disarm the nukes and won't retarget silos.
    phase5 wrote:- cheating with 2nd demo login -- yes I know I can avoid it -- but I do not want as there are other players where two persons connecting from the same lan (and that is OK)
    The ghosting protection only affects player/spectator pairs. It doesn't forbid two players from the same IP/LAN.
    phase5 wrote:- blocking the server, not leaving the game after this is over ( but I guess I could work around this problem somehow with WaitEnd, WaitSecounds, quit)
    You're guessing right. Also, you can do what I do with my servers: don't start them with loop.sh, start them via cronjobs and let them stop advertising themselves just before the next instance starts. Then blocking is a complete non-issue.
    phase5 wrote:- trying permanently faking /setscore, not leaving until all others gave up and leave -- of course I can ban him after -- NO in case of a demo, steem user i cannot, banning a ip range is not an option
    Range bans can be set to only affect steam or demo users on specific platforms. Defcon players are spread thin enough to make banning customers of a certain ISP that live in an entire citt completely acceptable in most cases.
    - buguse (ships over land) has nothing to do with "good players" but more with a search of "defcon cheat" in youtube.com - yes naviBlacklists some of those "bugs" are ok as long it does not go over land
    None of the known ships over land bugs gives the exploiter a serious advantage. They all leave the ships non-maneouverable for a long time.
    - what is about password guessing? -- I seen running someone a script (nobody can type that fast) trying to gues the server password -- yes -- he had no chance becasue it was locked by keyid, however -- even the try is not accaptable.
    There's a limit on the number of tries per user, defaulting to 5. Plus, it's not disturbing the game, only you. It may be a valid reason for a ban, but not for an ingame kick.

A admin should be realy in FULL controll of its server.
    Yes, but not while he's playing. While you're playing, you have incomplete information of the game. For example, if the ship over land exploits really bug you, you'll only notice them when they're used against you or your ally (or by your ally). If you're far away and not negatively affected yourself by self-nuking, you'll only notice it when it's too late. Since I guess you won't act on a cry of "zomg! X is using mole subs!!!!" from another player, the mere fact that you're playing makes you biased and more likely to kick players that harm you, no matter how hard you try not to be.
    trickser
    level5
    level5

Postby trickser » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:24 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:
    phase5 wrote:- blocking the server, not leaving the game after this is over ( but I guess I could work around this problem somehow with WaitEnd, WaitSecounds, quit)
    You're guessing right. Also, you can do what I do with my servers: don't start them with loop.sh, start them via cronjobs and let them stop advertising themselves just before the next instance starts. Then blocking is a complete non-issue.

I have a question to this, its a little of topic, but it fits, so i take my chance.

Do you need 2 keys for this practice? Or is it sufficient to turn off advertising before starting a new instance?

btw:kicking; I got kick serveral times last night (of lobby and spec) just for being NewPlayer, and it didnt happen when i showed up with my known playername short after that.
    bert_the_turtle
    level5
    level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:43 am

trickser wrote:Do you need 2 keys for this practice? Or is it sufficient to turn off advertising before starting a new instance?
    No, one key is enough. As soon as a server no longer advertises on the internet, it effectively does not exist any more as far as the metaserver is concerned. A new server can reuse the key without problem.
    - Tobias -
    level3
    level3

Postby - Tobias - » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:35 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote: the mere fact that you're playing makes you biased ... no matter how hard you try not to be.

Thank you bert for your continued sanity.
    iRadiated
    level2
    level2

Postby iRadiated » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:30 am

I'd be interested to know who this joker was that caused so much hassle.
    If he uses the same name again I could at least avoid playing on the same server as him

Return to “General”