General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Cobra Commander
level4
level4

The Bodyline Series of Defcon-Cultural Objectivity by Cobra

Postby Cobra Commander » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:34 am

Reorganisation is Under Way
Last edited by Cobra Commander on Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nuke this
level1
level1

Postby Nuke this » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:44 am

Cricket just another professional game that is taken to the n'th degree of advantage. The best way to stamp out that sort of behaviour is by changing the rules of the game.

For those who have not read it, i suggest you read http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_ ... nPart1.htm

tldr; to not seek any advantage possible within a given set of parameters is to forfeit the chance of improving.

the BOR tactic isn't new or original to this game. To that end, change the parameters to correct the winning behaviour. Put a real time limit on the games of 2.5-3 hours or something.
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Re: The Bodyline Series of Defcon-Cultural Objectivity by Co

Postby Blackbeard » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:34 pm

Cobra Commander wrote:What parallels can we draw readers?

They should've switched to using tennis balls/we should put bigger bumpers on our ships?

I tried a few experiments with the Victory trigger set to 70/80% and while it would probably make disadavantaged Territories even more so, I would love to play a few more games that way to see how the tactics developed.

As for the "controversial" game in question, MOR was pinned to Europe for much of the game by an allied North and South America. If the game had a time limit, you could argue that the two close territories would have had an unfair advantage against the two isolated territories.
- Tobias -
level3
level3

Postby - Tobias - » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:01 pm

Nuke this wrote:For those who have not read it, i suggest you read http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_ ... nPart1.htm

This is the most interesting website I have seen in quite a while. Thank you for this link.
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:10 pm

I wanna be called a Scrub :D .
Nuke this
level1
level1

Postby Nuke this » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:56 pm

as described by the article, unintended playstyles are one of the reasons i think defcon is so good.

Naval nuking, aircraft nuking, blind targetting should be embraced not frowned apon.

Subs over land however was a bit much
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:26 pm

Frankly. its a little wonder the game is still so much fun with all the advanced tactics, that have evolved, and the developers didnt tought of.
I mean, look at the 6player default. Only way to win, is launch everything soon as you can. I dont think that was intended.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:43 pm

Why would that be intended or not? Also that is not the only way to win, u should never stick to a set tactic.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:33 am

I know that about 6player default. I tryed to make an easy example. Just after that post i won a 6player default by taking out the silos of the strongest opponents(recording)

But dont u wonder the game still makes some sence as a strategie game when you think about this:
I ve read somewhere on the forum that in beta testing silos where often placed along the borders to intercept missles early. And IV would have used that to balance the game. But today the descent players use bomber streams and stacked silo and sub launches to penetrate defence. A border silo is just a welcome gift. But the game still works.

Maybe this is nothing special, and any multiplayer game will work, because every player can adopt to new technics. But maybe not. Will be hard to find an example of a failed game, but i will have my eyes open and report in case of.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:13 pm

Blackbeard wrote:I wanna be called a Scrub :D .

Hahahaa, remember the days when mor use to cry about naval nuking? :lol: :lol: :lol:
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:39 pm

tllotpfkamvpe wrote:
Blackbeard wrote:I wanna be called a Scrub :D .

Hahahaa, remember the days when mor use to cry about naval nuking? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, shame..

Thanks Tripper :roll:

Return to “General”