There can be only one - The Tobias Challenge (2008)

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

User avatar
- Tobias -
level3
level3
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:22 am

There can be only one - The Tobias Challenge (2008)

Postby - Tobias - » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:24 pm

My proposition is this: While there may be a handful of very good Defcon players, there is, at any one point in time, only one that is the best.

I would define "the best" to require someone to be competent enough to play well in all three currently recorded popular game formats as offered on the "Test" servers, namely Demo, Default (MOR), and Totally Random.

Therefore, on December 31, 2008, I shall acknowledge the best Defcon player based on the following criteria:
1) Must be in the top ten of all three fast rankings for Demo, Default, and Totally Random.
2) Points are awarded for each of the top ten places within each fast ranking table, with 1st place in the table receiving 10 points, 2nd place receiving 9 points, and so on.
3) Total points win. Ties move forward one day at a time, sudden death between all those originally tied.

If these criteria were to be applied today, I, of course, would win (with 12 points). Senator, while having 15 points, would not qualify since he is not ranked in the top ten of the fast Demo table.

Two and a half months seems like a reasonable timeframe to get in on this.

I myself will not likely be able to commit the time necessary to maintain my leadership, but I will try. :wink:
Last edited by - Tobias - on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
trickser
level5
level5
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:15 pm
Location: The Senate ; GMT+1
Contact:

Postby trickser » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:54 pm

Haha, so you have to make a rule to disqualify me. Well, one cheap lost demo game would make me king of the hill then.
User avatar
- Tobias -
level3
level3
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:22 am

Postby - Tobias - » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:14 pm

trickser wrote:Haha, so you have to make a rule to disqualify me.


No, no. The rule was made to ensure broad competency in the eventual winner. You are, as you know, a worthy opponent. Win a few key demos and you will be, as you say, king of the hill.
User avatar
rus|Mike
level5
level5
Posts: 2750
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:52 pm
Location: Russia, St. Petersburg

Postby rus|Mike » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:19 pm

You will get a some very-very middle skilled player win that way. I, for example, played Totally Random for like 2 times in my life. 6p Default was among my interests once (I even achieved some really huge success for a newcomer in this mode: I was 1st in the Fast table and 2nd in Slow as far as I remember) but now I doubt I'm in the table at all. But that haaaardly makes me a worse player really.

This challenge will not make players play the mode thay don't like and there are hardly any players that like and play all modes equally.

In short, your definition sucks :P It's like trying to find a best football player, regardless their gender, football mode they play (mini, rugby, usual soccer, etc.) and so on.

EDIT:
By the way, you still didn't drop me your times to play our The Star of India match. I can't wait to have my laughs :roll:
User avatar
trickser
level5
level5
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:15 pm
Location: The Senate ; GMT+1
Contact:

Postby trickser » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:45 pm

rus|Mike wrote:You will get a some very-very middle skilled player win that way.

:evil: pfff, why needs everyone to be so freaking arrogant. Must be something inherent to multiplayer games.

rus|Mike wrote:I, for example, played Totally Random for like 2 times in my life.

Big mistake, specially the Dedcon Test server with 50 citys is just great.

The good thing about this challange would be, its happening anyway, nothing needs to be organized.
User avatar
- Tobias -
level3
level3
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:22 am

Postby - Tobias - » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:54 pm

rus|Mike wrote: there are hardly any players that like and play all modes equally


That's the point. If you want to be acclaimed the best overall, you've got to play everything. Hey, there is no embarrassment in being just the best Demo player or whatever. But there can be only one best overall. If you've got a better system for measuring the best, let me know it.

trickser (Senator) knows what's what. The game is on.
User avatar
rus|Mike
level5
level5
Posts: 2750
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:52 pm
Location: Russia, St. Petersburg

Postby rus|Mike » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:56 pm

Ok, I see you point. But I'd prefer a title like "The Best all-round Defcon player" :) Sounds even better that way.
User avatar
Forrest Krunk
level3
level3
Posts: 431
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 6:16 am
Location: Jumping Radiation
Contact:

Postby Forrest Krunk » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:04 am

Can all these ego's fit into the same room? It's getting stuffy in here.... :?
wesgould
level2
level2
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:20 am
Location: BATTLETRON

man oh man

Postby wesgould » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:10 am

I CALL THAT A COP OUT Tobias ignoring my challenge... trying to start new ones stop deflecting the issue.. I want the best of ten with you..

What you affraid of that you cant attend your Kniting classes dude..

BATTLE
User avatar
- Tobias -
level3
level3
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:22 am

Re: man oh man

Postby - Tobias - » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:32 am

wesgould wrote:I CALL THAT A COP OUT Tobias ignoring my challenge...



I did not ignore it. You suggested twenty games and I declined that. I suggested a best of five and you declined that. I consider that we are still in negotiations for an appropriate head-to-head format. As evidenced by this challenge, however, I am not convinced that any number of strictly 1v1's would be appropriate.

wesgould wrote:What you afraid of that you cant attend your Kniting classes dude..


I do not attend such classes. Rather, I have been trained by Aunt Bee, of the Mayberry knitting circle. As a humble student of hers I have adopted her as my avatar. Our circle is a nasty bunch when we want to be, and we are capable of knitting dangerously breath-restrictive rings around you. Don't rile us dude!
User avatar
- Tobias -
level3
level3
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:22 am

Postby - Tobias - » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:59 am

Well this plan has gone to crap. It seems that the Demo fast ranking table is unreliable.

Specifically: the 10-15 Demo fast ranking table was generated at 10:13 UTC. In this table keyID 422762 is associated with the player name "flower power". The last game in which keyID 422762 played prior to the purported table generation, however, was at 23:00 on 10-14, and this was under the name "XTC". Therefore the 10-15 Demo fast ranking table, if it were correct, would have the player name of "XTC" associated with keyID 422762, and not "flower power".

(We must also presume, therefore, that the impact of any games, including my 16:30 UTC victory over keyID 422762 on 10-14, are also not accurately reflected. Crap. Just crap.)

Whether the Demo fast rankings are defective or intentionally manipulated is another question.
User avatar
Forrest Krunk
level3
level3
Posts: 431
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 6:16 am
Location: Jumping Radiation
Contact:

Postby Forrest Krunk » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:21 am

- Tobias - wrote:Well this plan has gone to crap. It seems that the Demo fast ranking table is unreliable.

Specifically: the 10-15 Demo fast ranking table was generated at 10:13 UTC. In this table keyID 422762 is associated with the player name "flower power". The last game in which keyID 422762 played prior to the purported table generation, however, was at 23:00 on 10-14, and this was under the name "XTC". Therefore the 10-15 Demo fast ranking table, if it were correct, would have the player name of "XTC" associated with keyID 422762, and not "flower power".

(We must also presume, therefore, that the impact of any games, including my 16:30 UTC victory over keyID 422762 on 10-14, are also not accurately reflected. Crap. Just crap.)

Whether the Demo fast rankings are defective or intentionally manipulated is another question.


Translation: Bluah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
User avatar
- Tobias -
level3
level3
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:22 am

Postby - Tobias - » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:46 am

Forrest Krunk wrote:Translation: Bluah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah


Hmmm. We got very long knitting needles for you. Point is: the table is fuked.
User avatar
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5
Posts: 4795
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:22 am

Heh :) There was indeed an error with parsing the event log files, the past few games haven't been counted yet. Should be fixed sometime this afternoon.
User avatar
trickser
level5
level5
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:15 pm
Location: The Senate ; GMT+1
Contact:

Postby trickser » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:34 pm

Crap. I ve beaten Nightwatch yesterday. Ok it was Afrika(me) vs Europe(Nightwatch), so i wouldnt overrate my victory. But it would have given me a nice boost in my ranking anyway.

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests