Screenshots on Vista?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:51 am

Oooh, I say, this thread just got fun. A very enjoyable read, I say, thankyou to all who took part.
pinback
level1
level1

Postby pinback » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:54 am

Montyphy wrote:(with whom there is quite clearly a connection of sorts)

This concept just BLEW HIS MIND, like he just solved the JFK conspiracy. Yes, my friend, in the world outside of blue BBS forums built for people with computers that can't handle anything over retrofied faux-vector graphics, people actually can have connections with other people that do not involve one either 1) intentionally misquoting or 2) ordering pizza from the other!
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:57 am

So, care to enlighten us on where you was going wrong in regards to your screenshot problem?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
pinback
level1
level1

Postby pinback » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:00 am

Montyphy wrote:So, care to enlighten us on where you was going wrong in regards to your screenshot problem?

At this point, I would have to say "asking for help from you people." That am where I is did go wronging, Dexter Manley.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:04 am

We can't be that bad, after all, you solved your problem and you're sticking around to read and respond to our posts.

Sissilone
level0

Postby Sissilone » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:45 am

Why? wrote:So is Ice Cream one of your split-personalities?

As a friend and former colleague of his, I can wholeheartedly vouch that Ice Cream Jonsey is indeed very real (and real mean). Yes sir, that Ice Cream Jonsey can be one tough customer! It's alleged Jonsey accosted some underage skaterboarders recently in downtown Portland. Just like his posts here, his oh-so saucy exhortations were laced with profanity, double-entendre, and even thinly veiled references to burlesque theater.

Now, I haven't been able to get the story independently verified, but it's damn creepy when you go into downtown Portland now and there are no young people anymore. Someone scared them off.
pinback
level1
level1

Postby pinback » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:03 am

Montyphy wrote:We can't be that bad, after all, you solved your problem and you're sticking around to read and respond to our posts.

You aren't that bad, no. However, I still have not solved my problem. However, I no longer care! So... maybe I did solve my problem!
dunetrooper
level4
level4

Postby dunetrooper » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:46 am

Go to walmart, buy a disposable, take as many screenshots as you want, go back to said walmart with disposable in hand, and in 3-5 business days you will have all the screenshots you want.
I wasn't here.
pinback
level1
level1

Postby pinback » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:02 am

People, I appreciate your desperate attempts to belittle and degrade me about this. And I've moved on, really I have.

But the fact remains, on my particular Vista box, when I press "P", I get the slight pause, the little "chirp" signifying a screenshot has been taken, and it doesn't appear anywhere on my hard drive.

If any of you happen to be in the area, I welcome you to drop by to see it. It really is quite something.

I know we're ruining your fun by taking the orgasmic joy out of feeding your pathetic little sniveling, starving egos that have been waiting here, feeding on their own jizz for two years now, waiting for some poor misguided soul to enter your den of international patheticity, but really, you have to stop now. It is time to grow up, maybe just a little? This attitude has gotten you nowhere in life so far, and it's cool, nothing wrong with that. Hell, I fall prey to it once in a while myself.

But really. Isn't it about time to join the growing ranks of decent human fucking beings for once in your miserable, wasted lives?

Not a sermon, just a thought.
dunetrooper
level4
level4

Postby dunetrooper » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:05 am

That response really makes me wonder, you say we need to grow up, I know several people here are older than me, have rather decent jobs and families of their own, and yes I have one too being 21 I know I still have some growing up to do but I like to have fun. So if I may how old are you? Do you have kids? Do you know what it means to work? You insult us by saying all we do is play these games and fuck around on the net among other things I won't repeat, but isn't that the exact same thing you are doing now?

These games are our hobbies that we use to get away for a few hours from the hassle of real life, and this forum is where some of us like to get together and talk about our common interest, these games. When people like you come in and disrupt the peace we have worked so hard to preserve by asking a question and whining about the answer you received becuase it made you think, then you have the nerve to start insulting and degrading the same people that tried to help you and bring your friend into it just for laughs. This makes me think you are the one that needs to grow up and get a life. The "insults" you received were because you are the millionth person that has come here and posted a question that could have been answered by doing a little research yourself, but you decided to be lazy and expected to be spoon fed the answer. We don't like people like you.

People have lives, if they choose to sit in a room in front of their computer for that life that is their choice. That doesn't make you better than them. Insulting people because of where they're from or what they do because you think you are perfect will not get you far. Remember one thing, you came here for help not the other way around. If you ever want to get ahead in life you should think about the problems you actions will cause. They attempted to help, you failed to post in the right section didn't give enough information until after you started the insults where they still attempted to help, and then your little friend came in and started his rant. Smart way to get ahead don't you think?
I wasn't here.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:41 am

Well, I can see you've all been having fun. Search alone may not work, given folders may be hidden etc., so if you haven't already I'd try navigating to the specific directory mentioned earlier, to the same path with the '(x86)' removed (the former may only apply to Vista x64, I'm just working off previous experience), and to the Defcon install directory.
The only other issue that I can think of is with user permissions, i.e. that Vista won't allow Defcon to save the screenshot to the hard drive. I'm not familiar with the way that Vista handles permissions, but I'd log into the administrator account and try taking a screenshot or, alternatively, try right-clicking on 'C:\Program Files\Defcon\Defcon.exe', choosing 'Properties' from the drop down menu, and seeing if there's a 'Permissions' or 'Security' tab where you can give the executable the required permissions.
It may surprise you to learn that creating a sock puppet and erupting into abusive histrionics is not the ideal way to encourage people to be helpful, and indeed that had you given feedback to people attempting to help you rather than responding in kind to infantile attacks against you, your problem may well have been solved a lot faster. Additionally, though it's been said already, it's a good idea to search the forums before posting and, if nothing relevant turns up, to post in the correct subforum; frenchfrog, a member of the IV staff, reads through the Troubleshooting forum and could have been of help to you - and chances are the thread would not have drawn the attention of the more abrasive members of the community.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:00 am

KingAl wrote:Alternatively, it could be under "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Defcon". Because Vista is weird.

K, finally managed to borrow a Vista machine from a housemate and found that screenshots are saved (along with the authkey and debug.txt) in "C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Defcon". AppData is a hidden folder so if using the inbuilt search to locate the files use the term "screenshot" and make sure the Advanced setting "Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files (might be slow)" is checked.

pinback
level1
level1

Postby pinback » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:45 pm

KingAl wrote:and chances are the thread would not have drawn the attention of the more abrasive members of the community.

Come on now, if you -- obviously a rational, reasonable person -- had answered me originally instead of the cavalcade of sociopaths who jumped on me like rabid yaks in heat, then sure, none of this would have happened. But they did, so all this started, and hey, we all had a good time. No sweat.

And ICJ isn't a "sock puppet" I invented. He's just like me, another huge fan of the game and independent game developers.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:59 pm

I have tested this on Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate. The screen shots ARE saved to the installed directory of Defcon, try maybe running Defcon as Admin(Right click Defcon.exe then click Run as Administrator) or turning your UAC off.

Edit: There is also a nice little script that you can download for Vista, that will embed the Option "Take Ownership" into the 'Right Click' menu files. After you patch this script, Simply right click on which ever folder defcon is installed too, then click that new option. This might also help you.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/showthread.php?t=116
pinback
level1
level1

Postby pinback » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:35 pm

sfericz wrote:try maybe running Defcon as Admin(Right click Defcon.exe then click Run as Administrator) or turning your UAC off.

Excellent! Thanks, this did the trick. Sorry this was posted in the wrong base! I'll do better next time.

Thread over!

(Do you guys have a "best of" base? Cuz get this thread in there pronto!)

Return to “General”