changing names after a win

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

iRadiated
level2
level2

changing names after a win

Postby iRadiated » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:52 pm

Anyone noticed the players that start a game with one name and then change their name just before /setscore and /signscore.
That way when lose they get their bad score logged against a random name and when they win their good scores get logged against their proper name.
Sneaky way to climb the ladder.

The servers should be altered (if possible) so that either the scores are logged automatically or the scores are logged against the name that a player started the game with.

Not gonna mention any names yet but I've got a list of them
l'inflexible
level1
level1

Postby l'inflexible » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:58 pm

yes i'm agree with you , that is not really fairplay
a lot of players do that
iRadiated
level2
level2

Postby iRadiated » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:08 pm

I don't think a lot of players do this but there is at least one highly ranked player who I've seen do this.
It's annoying for 2 reasons
1) Its basically a way of cheating yourself up the ladder. But what the hell if thats how people wish to live their lives then so be it.
2) More importantly for me, it means I don't know who I'm playing and therefore can't adjust my strategy to take that into account.

John the Greek does it.

So does Rotefaqin

Thing is that they are both very good players and I enjoy my games against them. They nearly always beat the crap out of me even if they use their real names. If I was that good I would not be embarrassed at losing the odd game every now and again. I certainly wouldn't use this method as a way of getting higher up the ranking tables.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:11 pm

The ladder is based on the KeyIDs/IPs of the players, not their names. Changing the name during the game does squat to your ladder position.
iRadiated
level2
level2

Postby iRadiated » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:16 pm

Ahh thats interesting.
Didn't know that.
But the scores are listed with peoples names next to them
How do match a name with a key id ?
For instance if I now started to play games using the name 'John Doe' and registered some scores using that name then will you have 2 sets of scores listed for the same key id ?
Why?
level5
level5

Postby Why? » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:26 pm

I was in a 2vs2, under an alias, with a bunch of other aliases, and John changed to his real name at the end. The server doesn't have a ladder, so maybe he does it for the same reason everyone else in the server was doing it...

I don't know much about the ladder. I don't use signscore, but EVERYONE uses aliases for strategic benefit. Including yourself...tho you make it easy to guess.

It's a fun part of the game.

Some of the servers recognize you as your real name, even when you sign on as an alias...so it wouldn't even matter with the scoring. Besides, I've seen most everyone on the ladder using aliases at some point.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:29 pm

iRadiated wrote:How do match a name with a key id ?
The ranking pages list both.
iRadiated wrote:For instance if I now started to play games using the name 'John Doe' and registered some scores using that name then will you have 2 sets of scores listed for the same key id ?
No, you'll still only get listed once, with your Key ID and the name you used last.
iRadiated
level2
level2

Postby iRadiated » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:29 pm

For the record I don't use different alias' within the actual game
I'm called iRadiated here simply because when I first registered using the name iRadiate I forgot to uncheck the box that said I was over 13 years old.
As a result that account cannot be activated because I can't convince the admins here that I am over 13. I'm actually 42 for chrissake !!

Thanks for clearing that up Bert.
I have challenged a few of those people about this and they have never denied that that was why they changed their names just before signing their scores.
I've been thinking the worst of people ever since I started seeing people change their names. If its purely for a tactical reason then fair enough.

For those that I thought the worst off please accept my apologies.

Perhaps I should start playing a few games as MOR and see where that gets me.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:07 pm

They do it to avoid attention, when thier names become widely recognised. For example, nobody expects a good play if you're playing as New Player. Also helps when you backstabbed so much in the past that nobody joins your allience.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:01 pm

Why? wrote: but EVERYONE uses aliases for strategic benefit.

I don't. I dare people to try and take me out. :P

Actually, I believe the harder the challenge the better you'll play next time, so why keep that target painted on your back? :wink: I also believe that changing your name to avoid name recognition has the opposite affect, it weakens your game, or at the very least you're robbing yourself of the opportunity to improve. :wink:

I have changed my name for fun/being mischievous, but not as a reason to "win". That was months and months ago however, back when RC was playing.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Rotefaqin
level1
level1

Postby Rotefaqin » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:08 pm

I think I might have prompted this- we played the other day and I changed my name right at the end, but would have done so whether I'd won or lost (as I have done when I've lost BADLY to mvpe, MOR and others).

Main reason for doing it is: I just want a game. The ladder is a bonus. some players will leave if they see a higher rated player in the game.

Although I can see how some players might do it to save face if they lose, but I don't think many people feel that way.

Sorry if it caused offence, iRadiated
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:18 pm

Interesting, I can't think of a time that I've seen somebody (other than mvpe/(MOR)) not play because of 'ranked' players. :P
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Nightwatch
level5
level5

Postby Nightwatch » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:46 pm

Well, if you don´t want to play you don´t join. :wink:
Did that a couple of times...
Especially in my early days when hi there was still around.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:26 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:37 pm

check the new avatar, mvpe the BOR killer

Thank you, MVPE, that was a perfect laugh :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “General”