The Master Challenge ::Your objections and suggestions..

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

What you don't like in the Master Challenge

Poll ended at Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:08 am

The Rules
6%
The Organisation
No votes
The Prizes
No votes
The Players
No votes
(MOR)
41%
I don't like anything
12%
I think all is fine
41%

Total votes: 17
(MOR)
level5
level5

The Master Challenge ::Your objections and suggestions..

Postby (MOR) » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:24 am

I like to know each one and his point of view his objections, suggestions or proposal... As that we can choose and improved our tourney by an democracy way.. :D

The first objections is from rus|Mike :
rus|Mike wrote:The thing I would prefer to be changed is scoring system: the better way to do it is like in a usual soccer tourney: 0 for a loss, 1 for a draw, 3 for a win. This way one will be able to tell by the player's total score exactly how many he won. But that way of counting is absolutely equal to existing one.

Secondly, I don't like the 1 game per week limit :( I vote for Let the players decide how often they would like to play :)
Last edited by (MOR) on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
NZ ARMY
level2
level2

Postby NZ ARMY » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:41 am

I was wondering about the TI rule - doesn't this have the possibility of holding up the entire tournament, or will players continue with their other games in the meantime?

Otherwise I'm pretty happy.
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:56 am

NZ ARMY wrote:I was wondering about the TI rule - doesn't this have the possibility of holding up the entire tournament, or will players continue with their other games in the meantime?

Otherwise I'm pretty happy.

I give an example:

NZ ARMY have a game with BATTLETRON and White Rabbit but he's temporarily inactive, in this case his matchs with BATTLETRON and White Rabbit will be postponed for 2 weeks until his return, but BATTLETRON and White Rabbit will continue their games with the others Players.. And that can't holding up the tourney :D
v o i d
level2
level2

Re: The Master Challenge ::Your objections and suggestions..

Postby v o i d » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:27 pm

(MOR) wrote:I like to know each one and his point of view his objections, suggestions or proposal... As that we can choose and improved our tourney by an democracy way.. :D

The first objections is from rus|Mike :
rus|Mike wrote:The thing I would prefer to be changed is scoring system: the better way to do it is like in a usual soccer tourney: 0 for a loss, 1 for a draw, 3 for a win. This way one will be able to tell by the player's total score exactly how many he won. But that way of counting is absolutely equal to existing one.

I agree and would also go with a 3/1/0 scoring system.

Not sure you should drop the matches-per-time requirement completely, I'd just loosen it to maybe one match every two weeks (not counting TI). Otherwise there is the risk that the terminal phase drags on forever; at least if you want to play out every match for the final standings.
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:57 pm

Well, I proposed one game per week for organizing the whole of the game, like that the tourney will be organized and each one knows the time that it will take, but if that will create a gap between the Players, we can change it, just I'm waiting for your proposal..

About the scoring system I will change it if the others are agree..
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:43 pm

I agree with the suggested scoring (3/1/0).

If I've been paying attention enough, this is a 1v1, correct? I've been really busy the last several days and have only been posting/reading hit and miss except for the TWG. :roll: If it is a 1v1, then I think the players should be seeded based on WR's 1v1 tourney, well at least those that were in it.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Johnis
level2
level2

Postby Johnis » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:24 pm

(MOR)'s scoring system is ok. It is a ladder system and i like that.
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:34 pm

Seeding? You mean I have to play all the really good people? Hell no!

I think one game a week is about right. Some of us can indeed get through a few in a week, but as it's a global game, it may be tricky to get one in at all sometimes at a time both players are comfortable with. It also means we're all at the same (rough) point in the playing schedule so everyone knows where we stand. Finally, it'll then allow us to make an 'event' of it - the next week's fixtures, the weekly scores update: you know, jazz it up a bit.

Oh, and I agree on the 3-1-0. Except why not 2-1-0. Or even 1-½-0. Otherwise you're devaluing draws. After all, the whole 3pts for winning in football was to discourage negative playing for a draw, something which you don't tend to get in defcon. It'd also mean all games would give the same points output, which makes statistics a lot *easier* (for me at least). Saying that,I have no firm objections to 3-1-0.

Ooh, last one - tie breakers in the table / ladder - I suggest first "pts difference" and then "pts scored", followed by a playoff if absolutely necessary. So even if you know you lost early on, there's every motivation to stick around and cause maximum pointage for yourself.
E.g: if (MOR) beats me 123-45 in the first game, then the table would look like this:

Code: Select all

Player    P   W   D   L   For   Ag   Diff Pts
(MOR)     1   1   0   0   123   45   +82   2
Mike      1   0   0   1   45   123   -82   0

After Points, the first tie-breaking position would be the 'Diff' column, then 'For'. (Ag is unnecessary, as if diff and for are equal, then ag must be the same too). If, after 20-or so games, all those are the same, then we can go to a playoff.

Just one note - I can's stay in this tourny too long, as I probably won't be playing too much defcon once Multiwinia comes out.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:54 pm

2-1-0 sounds good to me as a scoring system, although i wouldn't really have a problem with 3-1-0 since draws don't happen that much as far as i'm aware
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:13 pm

I'm also with 2-1-0 as a scoting system, and about 1 game per 1 week we can change it to 2 games (the First leg and the Second leg) by 15 days, and I think it possible to find time to play your 2 games in 15 days.. :D

All that just for not taking the tourney so long and to organize the matchs..

Edit: We have in this tourney 3 DemoPlayers "zjoere, l'inflexible and Gulidar" so I'll add an Defcon Key as a prize for the Best DemoPlayer :D
l'inflexible
level1
level1

Postby l'inflexible » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:47 pm

2-1-0 sounds good to me too ,why not add a bonus point when difference is more than 50 points for example
Nightwatch
level5
level5

Postby Nightwatch » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:30 pm

I have to play against Pox twice?
The first game next week and the next one in two weeks?
If there is a deeper meaning, i don´t get it.
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:37 pm

Nightwatch wrote:I have to play against Pox twice?
The first game next week and the next one in two weeks?
If there is a deeper meaning, i don´t get it.

You have 15 days to play the both games (From Monday), just try to contact Poxy and fix with him the games time.. :D

PS: You can play your games when you want and any day, just in the range of 15 days.
Gulidar
level4
level4

Postby Gulidar » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:38 pm

(MOR) wrote:Edit: We have in this tourney 3 DemoPlayers "zjoere, l'inflexible and Gulidar" so I'll add an Defcon Key as a prize for the Best DemoPlayer :D

That's damn good news :)

also, i do like 2-1-0 system too. And i love the idea to have 1 bonus point for 50+ difference. But i would say its better to be for 75+.
What is the death of one world in the cause of purity?
Why?
level5
level5

Postby Why? » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:21 am

MikeTheWookiee wrote:Oh, and I agree on the 3-1-0. Except why not 2-1-0. Or even 1-½-0. Otherwise you're devaluing draws. After all, the whole 3pts for winning in football was to discourage negative playing for a draw, something which you don't tend to get in defcon. It'd also mean all games would give the same points output, which makes statistics a lot *easier* (for me at least). Saying that,I have no firm objections to 3-1-0.

yeah, that's how I feel. The actual value doesn't really matter, because draws are such a rarity in defcon. however, since we have to pick one, I'd say stick with the soccer theme, 3-1-0. It discourages draws, if there was any potential for abuse. If it's worth half, people, could hedge their bets with a draw. Not very smart imo, but possible.

Ooh, last one - tie breakers in the table / ladder - I suggest first "pts difference" and then "pts scored", followed by a playoff if absolutely necessary. So even if you know you lost early on, there's every motivation to stick around and cause maximum pointage for yourself.

That's a good idea.

Also, the bonus points idea is neat, but there may be a potential for abuse. Like if two people are friends, and one of them knows they lost, so they go on ceasefire and give up all their points. It's possible, and in the later stages it could mean the difference between first and second.

Return to “General”