real nuclear war!

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

What do you think would happen in an event of REAL nuclear war?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:05 am

Humanity would perish and never come back.
32%
Humanity would recover.
42%
Shit happens
26%

Total votes: 31
Cnl_Death
level2
level2

Postby Cnl_Death » Wed May 21, 2008 8:43 am

Forgive my geographical retardation....... but just where would Latitude: 38° 53' North and Longitude: 77° 02' West. plant some nice thermo nuclear fun?
War Is Hell But Peace Is Boring
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Wed May 21, 2008 8:58 am

Google maps/earth/an atlas is your friend ;)

(it's DC btw)
Alpha475
level0

All human life would perish

Postby Alpha475 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:57 pm

The current nuclear stockpile on this planet has enough power to launch a huge ammout of dust into the atmosphere this would block out the Sun for hundreds of years this would result in all vegitation and all life relying on that vegitation to die. I mean we could use power stations but anything electrical would be destoyed by the EMP wave. Even if we could use artifitial light to grow plants we would run out of energy sources long before the dust had gone. WE WOULD ALL DIE!!
Hyperion
level5
level5

Re: All human life would perish

Postby Hyperion » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:36 pm

Alpha475 wrote:The current nuclear stockpile on this planet has enough power to launch a huge ammout of dust into the atmosphere this would block out the Sun for hundreds of years this would result in all vegitation and all life relying on that vegitation to die. I mean we could use power stations but anything electrical would be destoyed by the EMP wave. Even if we could use artifitial light to grow plants we would run out of energy sources long before the dust had gone. WE WOULD ALL DIE!!

You've never seen the matrix have you :wink:
Feud
level5
level5

Re: All human life would perish

Postby Feud » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:48 pm

Alpha475 wrote:The current nuclear stockpile on this planet has enough power to launch a huge ammout of dust into the atmosphere this would block out the Sun for hundreds of years this would result in all vegitation and all life relying on that vegitation to die. I mean we could use power stations but anything electrical would be destoyed by the EMP wave. Even if we could use artifitial light to grow plants we would run out of energy sources long before the dust had gone. WE WOULD ALL DIE!!

It's my understanding that EMP's mainly affect integrated circuits that are not shielded against an EMP blast, and that many simpler electrical systems are more resilient against it's affects. If such is the case, then a massive EMP wave would leave any number of way by which people could easily generate electricity (though it certainly would knock out much of the power grid system that support modern infrastructure).
Alpha475
level0

Postby Alpha475 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:11 pm

An EMP blast would make any unprotected or any circut however simple conected to electrical cables would act as giant lightning rods and would be affected. Older vacume tube or valve equipment is less vunerable. This information is avaliable on Wikipedia. This also doesn't solve the fuel problem, What are you going to use to power the lights for Hundreds of years. Also there are very few EMP shelded power plants. One of these is in NORAD the SGC in Stargate. and the fuel in there will not last MAny hundreds of years as it is only stocked to wait out the fallout not the endless night.
Alpha475
level0

Matrix

Postby Alpha475 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:37 pm

Yes I have seen the Matix, What's your point?
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:28 pm

Alpha475 wrote: This also doesn't solve the fuel problem, What are you going to use to power the lights for Hundreds of years. Also there are very few EMP shelded power plants. One of these is in NORAD the SGC in Stargate. and the fuel in there will not last MAny hundreds of years as it is only stocked to wait out the fallout not the endless night.

Wind and/or water turbines. With the proper tools, equipment, and technical knowhow it wouldn't be too difficult to rig up a simple generator, and depending on the size of the group you are trying to sustain you may not need a whole lot of power anyway.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:44 pm

Feud wrote:depending on the size of the group you are trying to sustain you may not need a whole lot of power anyway.

Enough to get a Dedcon up and running :wink:
Alpha475
level0

Postby Alpha475 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:09 pm

That would mean that you would have to leave the bunker. The world outside would probably still be radioactive. Another problem is you would have to have wind and wave generators not affected by the EMP or the entence heat of the nuclear bombs and i know that you are going to say take them in the bunker with you but those things are going to have to be big. Yes they would work with a small group of people but do many small groups have nuclear bunkers and a wind turbines and nuclear suits and respirators and enough food and water to last until the next crop. That is going to be a very small minority of the population. We are also asuming that the people had enough warning to amass the long list and get to there bunker. If the UK was attacked by Russia the army would have 4 minutes. Thats 4 minutes from seeing the missile to the detination. We also have to assume that the military gives out the information to the public as soon as they know, i doubt that it would cause panic but you have little time to panic.
Alpha475
level0

Postby Alpha475 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:30 pm

If you would like to look at the facts about the whole nuclear winter or dust covering the sun idea it is on Wikipedia under 'Nuclear Winter' Another topic that I found usful was M.A.D. or Mutally Assured Destruction this shows why a nuclear war wouldn't happen and why.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:33 pm

Mutally Assured Destruction this shows why a nuclear war wouldn't happen and why.

It doesn't give too much warrancy really.

Return to “General”