What's the Difference between the 3 Score Modes?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

thebornloser
level0

What's the Difference between the 3 Score Modes?

Postby thebornloser » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:23 pm

How do the 3 different scores modes affect the progress of the game?

They all sound about the same to me: protect your people, kill the enemy's.
Noryb
level2
level2

Re: What's the Difference between the 3 Score Modes?

Postby Noryb » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:17 am

thebornloser wrote:How do the 3 different scores modes affect the progress of the game?

Only Default is really like that. In that mode every million survivors is worth one point and every million kills is worth two points. In Survivor you only get points for surviving population. In Genocide you only get points for kills.

Default is the norm for 1v1/2v2/3v3. Survivor is used for Diplomacy games As far as I know, Genocide has never been one of the main game modes. It's somewhat useless given that Default places such a premium on kills over survivors.
thebornloser
level0

Postby thebornloser » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:40 pm

Noryb wrote:
thebornloser wrote:How do the 3 different scores modes affect the progress of the game?

Only Default is really like that. In that mode every million survivors is worth one point and every million kills is worth two points. In Survivor you only get points for surviving population. In Genocide you only get points for kills.

Default is the norm for 1v1/2v2/3v3. Survivor is used for Diplomacy games As far as I know, Genocide has never been one of the main game modes. It's somewhat useless given that Default places such a premium on kills over survivors.

Finally, a reply!

I know that in Survivor you only get points for surviving population, but your goal is to get more points than your opponent, so you still have to kill his people in order to reduce the number of points he has.

I wanna know how using different modes of scoring will affect how players play the game.
Endless
level5
level5

Postby Endless » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:59 pm

Here is my analysis of how people play based on score modes:

Survivor - people will generally keep their units closer to their territory to repel any attacks. When they do attack, it's generally with subs to try and surprise the enemy

Genocide - This is maybe the most reckless mode. Players will place their silos within radar range of it puts their silos closer to major cities. They will launch everything at once to garner the most points possible.

Default - the best score mode. Both attacking and defending will win you the game, so expect to see many different strategy's.
thebornloser
level0

Postby thebornloser » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:24 pm

Endless wrote:Here is my analysis of how people play based on score modes:

Survivor - people will generally keep their units closer to their territory to repel any attacks. When they do attack, it's generally with subs to try and surprise the enemy

Genocide - This is maybe the most reckless mode. Players will place their silos within radar range of it puts their silos closer to major cities. They will launch everything at once to garner the most points possible.

Default - the best score mode. Both attacking and defending will win you the game, so expect to see many different strategy's.

but you can't be purely reckless in Genocide. You have to prevent your people from getting killed too, otherwise you're giving points to the enemy.
Noryb
level2
level2

Postby Noryb » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:06 am

thebornloser wrote:Finally, a reply!

And then you necro the thread more than two years later like nothing happened. :wink:

thebornloser wrote:but you can't be purely reckless in Genocide. You have to prevent your people from getting killed too, otherwise you're giving points to the enemy.

It's a fair point. Still as far as I know, no one plays Genocide.
Mojo
level2
level2

Postby Mojo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:36 pm

That it's working in all mods, as a valid tactic :wink:

Return to “General”