General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Cobra Commander
level4
level4

Re: Unofficial Defcon World League Ranking 2016

Postby Cobra Commander » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:02 pm

Mojo wrote:
Your ranking is more or less useless, or even worse it may be counterproductive, because what Defcon community lacks right now is not competitiveness, but fair-play and capacity of players to enjoy just on playing the game. All this mindless focus on results destroy not only the good relation between people, but even the game itself.

Hear, hear! This is the route decay of the game and community and it is stifling growth. When you have one of your top players still winning at any costs what enjoyment and spirit is fostered? Why on earth do you think I left the community many years ago! In the end when you feel your time has been wasted by ungamesmanship it leaves a foul taste. I would much rather play an honourable game than deal with ghosting, nuking your own cities to remove points, slowing down to BOR levels stealing multiple hours out of my day or goodness knows what else people have come up with these days.

I reiterate the demise of 6 player FFA and Totally Random and the enshrinement of 1v1 and 2v2 has killed the overall community due to the playing philosophy fostered from smaller and smaller competition. There is a place for those game styles but the utter collapse of 6 player FFA is deeply worrying as that is the true heart and nexus of Defcon from which all other game styles emerge and also more importantly where new players can gradually develop their play styles and improve over a more welcoming learning curve and longitudinal progression.

See Commander Round Table Topic by clicking here to add your thoughts to this debate please.
General Ivan
level2
level2

Postby General Ivan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:58 pm

There is the alternative view of it:

Just don't give a shit about the list.

And we should all realise that this isn't exactly final gospel that should be adhered to. Plus this:
Forever Young wrote:The ranking table will be based solely on my personal impressions and there will be mistakes.
So don`t be pissed.

Hell even the first damn word of the title of this thread is a big giveaway.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:27 pm

ReflectionCoup wrote:This community is going down due to trolls like DantesInferno.

Should ReflectionCoup be given emergency powers to deal with this threat?
Mojo
level2
level2

Postby Mojo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:48 pm

Forever Young wrote:MOR, is playing same style as always.

Really? How is that just now i blacklisted MOR from any of my future 2 vs 2 games, after 7 years from when i know him? Or is that meant to be the illogical argument of legitimacy by establishment? :lol:
If you tolerate his actual play style, is your own problem, and is the solely reason for that he can keep doing it. I don't accept it at all because is an unacceptable way of forcing victory, even by making his opponents to leave so he can stay and finish the game without any fight back, in a sick way of achieving and understanding a victory.
Is just a damn game who is meant to be fun to play, who not understand that can play twisted mind games all day long, but that is not me.
Forever Young
level5
level5

Postby Forever Young » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:52 pm

Mojo, you are mixing your trouble with the ranking, but your trouble started before the ranking was there.
ReflectionCoup
level2
level2

Postby ReflectionCoup » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:51 pm

Colytic wrote:
ReflectionCoup wrote:This community is going down due to trolls like DantesInferno.

Should ReflectionCoup be given emergency powers to deal with this threat?

Good idea! Thx mate!
Mojo
level2
level2

Postby Mojo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:39 pm

Forever Young wrote:Mojo, you are mixing your trouble with the ranking, but your trouble started before the ranking was there.

I'm not mixing anything, and don't get me wrong, i don't blame you for the actual situation, just pointed that your ranking does no good to Defcon at this moment. In normal conditions is a very nice initiative, but right now is not the best idea.
And if you try to tell me that all is only in my head with that "your troubles" and everything is in fact OK, then go on, enjoy the shit atmosphere who began to develop around this game.
Dantesinferno
level3
level3

Postby Dantesinferno » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:37 pm

I seem to recall FY's ranking table just made him leave the game in a big hissy fit last time.
something to do with wanting to be centre of attention and massaging the ego's of defcon elite.

welcome back FY you charmless kraut B'stard
Cobra Commander
level4
level4

Postby Cobra Commander » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:07 am

Mojo's solution to MOR/BOR/COW/ROM dilemma is an apt one and I have sympathy for his stance however it does not stamp out MOR's defective psychological approach that harms the community as a whole. Par from a personality transplant I am not sure what will in honesty.
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:29 am

If it takes three hours of micromanagement to win the game, the problem is not the players, but the game. I don't see how FY deserves any of the blame thrown at him.
Zorotama
level5
level5

Postby Zorotama » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:17 am

Cobra Commander wrote:
Mojo wrote:
Your ranking is more or less useless, or even worse it may be counterproductive, because what Defcon community lacks right now is not competitiveness, but fair-play and capacity of players to enjoy just on playing the game. All this mindless focus on results destroy not only the good relation between people, but even the game itself.

Hear, hear! This is the route decay of the game and community and it is stifling growth. When you have one of your top players still winning at any costs what enjoyment and spirit is fostered? Why on earth do you think I left the community many years ago! In the end when you feel your time has been wasted by ungamesmanship it leaves a foul taste. I would much rather play an honourable game than deal with ghosting, nuking your own cities to remove points, slowing down to BOR levels stealing multiple hours out of my day or goodness knows what else people have come up with these days.

I reiterate the demise of 6 player FFA and Totally Random and the enshrinement of 1v1 and 2v2 has killed the overall community due to the playing philosophy fostered from smaller and smaller competition. There is a place for those game styles but the utter collapse of 6 player FFA is deeply worrying as that is the true heart and nexus of Defcon from which all other game styles emerge and also more importantly where new players can gradually develop their play styles and improve over a more welcoming learning curve and longitudinal progression.

See Commander Round Table Topic by clicking here to add your thoughts to this debate please.

Well, you right.
Mojo
level2
level2

Postby Mojo » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:59 am

Laika wrote:If it takes three hours of micromanagement to win the game, the problem is not the players, but the game. I don't see how FY deserves any of the blame thrown at him.

Please don't insult our intelligence, i not talk about micromanagement, OK? I played for example 3 vs 3 who involve a lot of micromanagement from 6 players, so the game took often +3 hours, but i not saw anyone to complain that is something abnormal. Defcon is a strategy game and in not meant to be played by players who have no patience to finish a game, and if i remember well that is more your case Laika.

But again, here is nothing about patience and the raw duration of games, but competitiveness brought to sick levels. Is also about games who get prolonged very much not as byproduct of micromanagement and normal game play, but by players who use it as a griefing tool against others to deny their victory under false pretense that that is a valid tactic and a way to turn the game. The only way i saw game turned was by forcing opponents to leave the game...

If stockpiling nukes in a deserted area of the map with sole purpose to hold the timer looks as micromanagement for you, then is indeed the time to think about finding another ways to spend my free time.
Last edited by Mojo on Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:16 am

Let's see. You complain about your old grudge with MOR, then you continue that players should be judged not by win to loss ratio, but on them simply enjoying the game ? Do you mean like Tom-Bush ? Frankly I'm not even sure what you are talking about.

To your edit, I'm not sure from what memories you are calling me a ragequitter, back it up or take your words back.
Stockpiling nukes is unfair play and as far as I can remember most of community has agreed to ban for doing this. What is your problem ?
Mojo
level2
level2

Postby Mojo » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:20 am

My grudge with MOR is very new not an old one, and it occurred actually only few days ago, so indeed you seems to not be very connected with the subject of this discussion.
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:25 am

The subject of this discussion is FY's ranking, not your butthurt. I can't see how two are connected indeed.

Return to “General”