A very disturbing Hack/Cheat thing just happened

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:17 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:It may be useful to note the IPs of the fake servers next time and post them here. I'd like to find out whether the prospect of getting banned from the real dedicated servers is an incentive for the fakers to stop. Please post only those IPs of fake servers where actual cheating is going on (with screenshots, if possible). WOPR alone is a perfectly generic server name, just like Dr. Strangelove is a perfectly generic player name nobody can claim ownership of. So just naming your regular DEFCON server WOPR is not a crime.

Well, it was "WOPR's War Games", I'm pretty sure that's byte-for-byte the same as the dedicated... but I guess what you say is true. It can still very much mislead people, however.
NZ ARMY
level2
level2

Postby NZ ARMY » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:40 pm

I've got screenshots of the fake paranoia server, but no IP.

hehe, now i've got the IP too.

PM me if you want it Bert.
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:21 pm

IP: 68.4.78.36

Port: 47859

Host : Defcon 1,43 mac

This not an DedCon server but an personal server..
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:56 pm

Heh. When I read that it's a Mac user, I knew who it was :)
The IP was unknown, but it appears to be static, and he was stupid enough to try to connect to my servers several times from it, giving me his keyID:

Code: Select all

dedcon@beaker ~/dedicated/logs $ grep 68.4.78.36 */out
config_01010100/out:02:09:46: Login request from 68.4.78.36:38377, version="1.43 mac", keyID=347973 : denied, banned.
config_01010700/out:08:25:26: Login request from 68.4.78.36:38558, version="1.43 mac", keyID=347973 : denied, banned.

Linking the IP to the keyID 347973, which indeed belongs to my old friend: http://dedcon.homelinux.net:8000/dedcon_grief/ticket/5
Of course, he is already banned from my servers.

His last communication from him to me was this: http://dedcon.homelinux.net:8000/dedcon/ticket/52
From which I quote: "I will dedicate my efforts to undermining your whole dedcon endeavor; as you have caused me to become totally against it." I guess he thinks he found a way now (took him long enough), but we won't let him succeed with it, right?

NZ ARMY: please post your evidence here publicly. Running a server publishes your IP for everyone to see, so it is not to be considered secret.

We can use all the screenshot evidence we can get. If you see a fake server by this guy, connect to it and make a screenshot, either of the Lobby (you'll need an external progam) or, better, during the game with the network tool open, and best while some cheating is already going on. When we have enough screenshots piled up (from three different sources, at least), I'll give him the honor of being the first to land on the global ban list.
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:06 pm

Hehe, that was Stupid A**Hole my old friend :evil:

Like Bert said, he find another way to abuse..
Cobra Commander
level4
level4

Postby Cobra Commander » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:06 pm

There is a dodgy paranoia running right now but he kicked me before it started someone join it. I think he is under the name of Green Peace.

It just started

2 are running right now.

Get some info.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:12 pm

Cobra Commander wrote:There is a dodgy paranoia running right now but he kicked me before it started someoen join it. I think he is under the name of Green Peace.

Bert and I played in it (using super stealthy alias :wink: ).

It wasn't a Dedcon just a normal server...and it was just a normal game no probs...and Green Peace played until the end despite getting well beat.

They did get a bit upset when we asked them about the fake server thing...lots of insults and the like.

Thing is 68.4.78.36 isn't that good a player ("you can talk Domino :!: ") so maybe that's why the fake Dedcons and cheating... :?:

ps Bert won...I tried suisilo but couldn't hit USA... :cry:
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:28 pm

ynbniar is right, and that was really me. I could not see any signs of cheating, either. Not even backstabbing :) The abuse is sort of understandable, an innocent man may react the same way when confronted, so we should not hold it against him. I'm not going to tell the tale of my glorious victory (mostly caused by no resistance and my two main targets turning into CPUs), but here is the lobby screenshot with the connection data: Clicky

I installed a warning message about the fake servers on my DedCon tests, that will probably reach more people than this thread here.

Edit: I watched another game develop on his server from the lobby (just seeing the scores, he does not allow spectators), he did not win that one, either. A theory we can't rule out is that the host is just impostering other servers, and that the cheating is done by other players. You would expect a serial cheater to win more consistently (no, xander, I have not forgotten).

Edit2: Watched two more games for real, no indication of a cheating host found.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:21 pm

Ok, that was interesting. I don't really know what to make of it. I watched another game on that server incognito, still disguised as Paradroid server bot (heh), still no cheating, he lost it in dignity (not having placed half of his stuff). I chat a little and give him the benefit of the doubt and attempt a peaceful resolution. Result:
- I make him aware that there are cheats possible on regular servers that don't work on DedCons, and that's why people may be upset he is faking them. He claimed he was not aware of the cheats (don't know about the truth of that, he does read the forums at least sporadically and knows about this thread)
- He admits he simply had team switching on in some previous games, which would explain the odd events reported earlier.
- He tells me how DedCons can avoid getting faked over by regular servers: Simply give them a longer name, the name length limit of the client is pretty restrictive. (Do you hear that, Paranoia UK!? And upgrade!)
- He guesses who I am :/

Since the hint how to make DedCon servers non-fakeable definitely shows some good will, I'm giving him a third chance on my servers. Let's see what happens next.

About his insults, he claims that he's using them as psychological weapons to turn the game in his favor. While I personally don't subscribe to that philosophy, some forum members use it, too.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:03 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:08 pm

Hehe, he kicked me when I join the server 8)
NZ ARMY
level2
level2

Postby NZ ARMY » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:12 am

Post Deleted
Last edited by NZ ARMY on Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:32 am

tllotpfkamvpe wrote:Yeah let him back in the game. :D
You're just hoping he'll mess up and make yourself look like a saint in comparison, right?
(MOR)
level5
level5

Postby (MOR) » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:47 pm

That the new name of the server 8)

rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:02 pm

Probably my bad eyeside is the reason of why I don't see any hacks', cheats', etc. screenshots?? What's bad about this server? The fact that it has "4" as a third character in it's IP??

Return to “General”