The continents - any advantages/disadvantages for each?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

darthkiwi
level1
level1

The continents - any advantages/disadvantages for each?

Postby darthkiwi » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:37 am

Hey, just bought DEFCON - loving it to bits. Like Chess, but with nukes. Chilling.

My question is - there are 6 continents, but are there any particular advantages/disadvantages to each? Almost like Starcraft, or Red Alert. More subtly, do the size/shapes of continents affect gameplay that much? For example, I played a 3 player game with me as N.America with opponents in Europe and Russia, and I got absolutely annihilated. But I played as Europe against N.America, S.America, and Russia and came 2nd (losing 66 to 68, darn!), with N.America coming out slightly on top. (Although I'm sure Europe had the most fallout at the end of the game, which was disturbing.) Is the fact Europe is positioned right next to the Russian key cities, but has a comfortable gap of Atlantic between it and America, an advantage? Is its small size a boon, or a handicap? Is Iceland really that useful?
Cthulhu fhtagn.
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:44 am

Each continent has advantages against others, you can find a topic detailing it around here if you search... but in a 6 player default scoring game, I'd have to say it's pretty evenly balanced - with the right tactics, just about anyone but NA can win. Personally I favour something in the eurasafrica block to ensure plenty of close targets, but SA can also be quite effective when you get your subs out and moving early.

Oh and welcome, and happy nukage.
Cobra Commander
level4
level4

Postby Cobra Commander » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:24 am

Continents are ranked in my mind according to game mode, What works for diplo might not be best for default or totally random.

Going with Default I'd say that my three favourite are Africa Russia and Asia, Europe always seems to get too clustered and can fail spectacularly but there is always suicide silos, coming in last the Americas due to distances from targets and much naval maneuvering.

Having said that South America is deadly in a totally random game and Europe is a nightmare.

In Diplomacy I like Africa the best by far.
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:19 pm

Each one has its disadvantages, and advantages. I say that they're all equal. for example, Europe is small, and compact, so you can set your silos close and easily stop nukes. But since your Europe, more people will probably go for you. So its all up to the other players basically.

-$tanley
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:06 pm

All American Mobster wrote:Europe is small, and compact, so you can set your silos close and easily stop nukes.

Hehe... that was thought to be the case a while ago, but it's only true when there's a couple of nukes coming in at once - because your population is so close together, Europe can have every city wiped out quite effectively by a simple concentrated spray of nukes.
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:02 am

Pox wrote:
All American Mobster wrote:Europe is small, and compact, so you can set your silos close and easily stop nukes.

Hehe... that was thought to be the case a while ago, but it's only true when there's a couple of nukes coming in at once - because your population is so close together, Europe can have every city wiped out quite effectively by a simple concentrated spray of nukes.

One misses the defence, chances are a lot more will as well

-$tanley

Return to “General”